Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Interesting observation, but incorrectly backwards. The original version of this kit is the 72 Convertible, and this is a 1971. None of it would copied from a 1970. That was a JoHan kit back in the day. 

I'm aware of all that, I was referring to the amount of "real estate" on the leading edge of the hood, above the grille..  Maybe it's just the light on the model, but it looks boxier than the 1:1 Steve M posted above.

3 hours ago, dodgefever said:

I'm aware of all that, I was referring to the amount of "real estate" on the leading edge of the hood, above the grille..  Maybe it's just the light on the model, but it looks boxier than the 1:1 Steve M posted above.

I understand what you were saying but based on conversations this forum has had in the past I believe the only difference between the 71 & 72 grilles was the 71 was black and the 72 chrome. So the hood and chrome trees are recycled from the Convertible. So if the problem exists as you say, then it's always been there on this series of kits from the beginning.

The new parts to this kit (other than Coupe glass) are the 3 things on tops of all the other parts. New Interior platform, new body, and new door panels & seats.

07695_1971_oldsmobile_442_06.jpg.a986867d578e50d891541a9e89675a12.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Model Roundup  has it listed as available (I'm stone broke, otherwise I'd have pulled the Alec Baldwin already). I'm sure that once Chris 'HPI Guy' posts his review & build, Roundup will post stills from Chris's video. 

Between this 4-4-2, and the MPC Supra -- and other kits in the queue -- it's gonna be an expensive year i mi .

• Haha 1

NOTICE

After you pick one of these up, IMMEDIATELY check your body. They're packing them lying on their side lengthwise down the box (rather than on top of all the parts) and the roof on mine was compacted to about half the height it was molded in originally. This is not a warping issue, but rather an impact/crush one - you can see the stress on the A-pillars. Heading back to my LHS tomorrow to return it and cut open kits until a good body turns up or I go through their entire inventory. Be AWARE, especially for those of you who don't break your shrink wrap when you buy stuff.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

After you pick one of these up, IMMEDIATELY check your body. They're packing them lying on their side lengthwise down the box (rather than on top of all the parts) and the roof on mine was compacted to about half the height it was molded in originally.

Thanks for the heads up. Leads me to believe that Revell is packing this hardtop version in the same layout as the convertible predecessor. Now, I can't attest to that, as I've never had the drop top version(s).

Opinions being what they're worth: why hasn't the U.S. adopted the 'flat box' packaging practise? Yeah, there are a few examples, but they're in the minority (per-centage-wise). A flat box would go a long way in avoiding compromised bodies, etc. -- like, if the Moebius 1967 Ramp Truck was packaged "flat", the warpage perhaps could've been avoided.

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for the heads up. Leads me to believe that Revell is packing this hardtop version in the same layout as the convertible predecessor. Now, I can't attest to that, as I've never had the drop top version(s).

Opinions being what they're worth: why hasn't the U.S. adopted the 'flat box' packaging practise? Yeah, there are a few examples, but they're in the minority (per-centage-wise). A flat box would go a long way in avoiding compromised bodies, etc. -- like, if the Moebius 1967 Ramp Truck was packaged "flat", the warpage perhaps could've been avoided.

Flat boxes aren't nostalgic. :D

• Like 1