Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Camaro SS 396 - Kit contents

RDean58

Years ago, I had the parts gathered to build an SS with the 396 from the convertible and an MPC hood. But, never went any farther.

I would have rather seen this kit come with the Kelsey Hayes Magnums instead of the "me too" steel wheels and COPO hubcaps. That would have gotten me to open up the wallet. As-is, I think I'll just build the one I have the parts gathered for if I ever decide to build one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I would have rather seen this kit come with the Kelsey Hayes Magnums instead of the "me too" steel wheels and COPO hubcaps.

I agree on the wheels. K-H wheels with separate trim rings would be great! Same with a 350 (with 'Day Two' options)... 
...and a newly-tooled RS grille, standard exhaust, and a return of the houndstooth decals for the interior (heck, may as well throw the rare bench seat in the mix, too!).

Edited by 1972coronet
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

may as well throw the rare bench seat in the mix, too!

I stand corrected -- front bench was a '67 & '68 option, discontinued for 1969. I suppose that I was thinking of the column-shift TH-400 I've in a couple of COPOs, and had assumed it was accompanied with a bench.
Apparently, the 1969 Firebird  was available with the front bench.

I was just diggin' "NEW TOOLED PARTS" - what, anything besides the hood?

Oh YEAH - the hood trim pieces on the chrome tree. Guess that qualifies. 🙂

(and yes, a non-chambered exhaust woulda made this just that bit more worthwhile)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
missed comma
  • Like 2

Basically it’s the old 69 Z28/RS kit with a new hood and better decal sheet? I’m not including the steelies and big block because they are already readily available. I’ll pick one up when I catch it at HL 40% off. Not exactly something I would run out and buy but the hood looks nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keef said:

Basically it’s the old 69 Z28/RS kit with a new hood and better decal sheet? I’m not including the steelies and big block because they are already readily available. I’ll pick one up when I catch it at HL 40% off. Not exactly something I would run out and buy but the hood looks nice.

More like the ZL-1 kit with a SS hood, but yeah, not much "new" stuff to see here.

I think they could have created even more sales of this tooling if they had thrown in the 350 with standard exhaust and Magnum wheels as the only small block version of this kit is the Z-28 with the rare cross ram intake.

Another version could be a stock hood and L-6 250 ci engine with the deluxe wheel covers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Would have liked to have seen the standard exhaust.

Yep. That too. Maybe it will eventually be made. I know we can one from the '69 Nova. But, who wants to buy a kit for the exhaust?

17 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yep. That too. Maybe it will eventually be made. I know we can one from the '69 Nova. But, who wants to buy a kit for the exhaust?

Sadly I have several Nova kits that will be raided solely for the purpose of creating small block Camaros with standard exhaust.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:36 AM, mikemodeler said:

Sadly I have several Nova kits that will be raided solely for the purpose of creating small block Camaros with standard exhaust.

So that begs the question, why doesn't an enterprising resin caster offer copies of the Nova exhaust for Camaro builders? My understanding is that the Nova exhaust drops into the Camaro frame.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Funny thing about this particular tool. Seeing completed copies of this Camaro for so many years and then seeing how bad the MPC and Monogram versions are, makes me wonder how we ever got along without the Revell kit!

We either built one of those and lived with it or we didn't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 12:31 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Funny thing about this particular tool. Seeing completed copies of this Camaro for so many years and then seeing how bad the MPC and Monogram versions are, makes me wonder how we ever got along without the Revell kit!

Okay, I’m weird. But, I don’t mind the old MPC ‘69 Camaros. True, the Revell version is light years a head of them. But, for me there is a certain charm to those old MPC and AMT annual kits. Including the MPC ‘69 Camaro. 

The Monogram version, I have no comment on. I’ve never owned or built one. 

• Like 1

The MPC annual wasn't very good, but the AMT annual kit body was nearly as good (if not just as good) as the Revell which was tooled 25 years later.  It was a shame AMT hacked that kit up to use the body in a funny car rather than hang on to it for a reissue down the road.  But maybe the annuals hadn't sold well enough to make anyone think about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The MPC annual wasn't very good, but the AMT annual kit body was nearly as good (if not just as good) as the Revell which was tooled 25 years later.  It was a shame AMT hacked that kit up to use the body in a funny car rather than hang on to it for a reissue down the road.  But maybe the annuals hadn't sold well enough to make anyone think about that.

I think it would have been a two-fold problem. These were toys in what was primarily a kid's hobby back then. Nobody would have had any inkling that people would come back 25 yrs later as adults. The second part would be - how could you tell the 69 Camaro was going to be an iconic vehicle in real time? 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, Mr mopar said:

I just bought one and did the price go up on Revell kits in Canada ,I paid $57.99 that's getting out of hand !

On 6/15/2022 at 5:48 PM, bytownshaker said:

It was approx $54.00 here in Ottawa when I got mine.

$48.75 at my local shop here in Fredericton.

• Sad 1