Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Camaro SS 396 - Kit contents

RDean58

On 5/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, 1972coronet said:

I agree on the wheels. K-H wheels with separate trim rings would be great! Same with a 350 (with 'Day Two' options)... 
...and a newly-tooled RS grille, standard exhaust, and a return of the houndstooth decals for the interior.

Do you mean the Magnum 500 wheels that were available on the SS package Camaros? 

The houndstooth upholstery was only available on the deluxe interior, also includes different door panels. This kit has the standard interior. 

Guess you could raid a Pace Car Convertible kit for one.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 6/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, Mr mopar said:

I just bought one and did the price go up on Revell kits in Canada ,I paid $57.99 that's getting out of hand !

On 6/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, bytownshaker said:

It was approx $54.00 here in Ottawa when I got mine.

On 6/19/2022 at 9:30 AM, Can-Con said:

$48.75 at my local shop here in Fredericton.

Man, I feel for you guys, that’s expensive!

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Do you mean the Magnum 500 wheels that were available on the SS package Camaros? 
I was under the impression that those wheels, while resembling Magnum 500, were something different (similar to the Dodge & Plymouth Road Wheels of 1967-1971). Ne'er-the-less, you're aware of which wheels I'm referring to.

The houndstooth upholstery was only available on the deluxe interior, also includes different door panels. This kit has the standard interior. Guess you could raid a Pace Car Convertible kit for one.
I was not aware of that, as I'm not up on the differences between the standard interior vs the Deluxe pattern. Thanks for the new-to-me info.

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

John, Those "SS" wheels were indeed Magnum 500 wheels, same as used by Ford Mopar and AMC at the time. All were made by Motor Wheel in Lansing to the customers specs. They even sold them as an aftermarket wheel.

All the same wheel made by the same company just with the details [diameter, width, bolt pattern, plating or paint, trim ring or no ring, center cap] changed around by whoever ordered them.

114 1454

114 1453

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, the separate exterior door handles came along when the convertible was introduced. All of the coupes still have moulded-on door handles, but the chrome tree includes separate items. 

The green Phase III kit was the first in the series of the Mark IV powered Camaro; the Zed was thee first of the then-new '69 Camaro from Revell (c.1990).

Kind of surprised --and perhaps a little disappointed-- that a 350-powered SS was never produced; only the 302 Zed. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Kind of surprised --and perhaps a little disappointed-- that a 350-powered SS was never produced; only the 302 Zed.

My cousin received a new L-48 4-speed pace car replica for his High School graduation present from Mommy and Daddy. It was pretty used up (mechanically) 10 years and 60k miles later. He sold it for the princely sum of $2500. I could cobble together a replica of his car and thought of it many times when I see the convertible kit.

His older sister received a slanty Barracuda convertible a year earlier for her present. Guess that shows favoritism between the kids, LOL. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC, the separate exterior door handles came along when the convertible was introduced. All of the coupes still have moulded-on door handles, but the chrome tree includes separate items. 

The green Phase III kit was the first in the series of the Mark IV powered Camaro; the Zed was thee first of the then-new '69 Camaro from Revell (c.1990).

The 'Hot Rod' Yenko Camaro was the first release with a big block   The B-M version came a year or so later.  The first issue in the 'Skip's Fiesta drive in' box had a nice fly eye air cleaner, but the reissue just has the standard one, which is disappointing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dodgefever said:

The 'Hot Rod' Yenko Camaro was the first release with a big block   The B-M version came a year or so later.

Ah! I recall it being a COPO/dealer conversion replica, but thought that the B-M was first.

Thanks for the clarification. 

There's also a difference in the interior tubs... The coupe has a flat package tray while the convertible version has a simulated folded top behind the back seat back.. In order to install the custom door panels in the coupe body, you have to add a flat piece of styrene to cover the folded top on the convertible tub.... Hope that made sense...🤔

On 6/22/2022 at 12:33 PM, espo said:

The Pace Car kit is the only one that is a convertible body style like the "new" issue. 

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean David but if you mean that the Pace Car was the only convertible issue, that's not quite correct. There was also a regular convertible issue with a red car on the box [I have that one] and two "Motor City Muscle" issues. One with a white car on the box and one in yellow. Both with the big twisted wheels. Pretty sure that besides the wheels and tires in the MCM issue and decals, there all the same kit inside

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, dodgefever said:

The 'Hot Rod' Yenko Camaro was the first release with a big block   The B-M version came a year or so later.  The first issue in the 'Skip's Fiesta drive in' box had a nice fly eye air cleaner, but the reissue just has the standard one, which is disappointing.

My kit which is the reissue as shown below, has the fly eye air cleaner too.

See the source image

1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro.jpg