Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Chevy Nova SS

ModelcarJR

I'm starting on this one next. Picked it up at the last Model Contest. To me, the body doesn't seem to resemble the box. Too big a notch in the back top even with the window in place. B pillar seems a bit too wide and the body sides a bit too tall. Hoping it will look better with some paint on it. 

enhance

The rear taillight panel is nice as a separate piece so that it can be painted separately. But the pin might break because the panel has to be tucked inside a small keeper at the bottom. I test-fitted it but bent the pin taking it out. but I probably will need so glue to strengthen it. I also had to thin down the body support for the hood by scraping it with my knife in order to get the hood to sit down a little more. It worked out well after paint. 

enhance

enhance

But it does look a good in paint.  Dupli-color Bahama Blue Metallic. It may not be exactly Azure Blue Metallic as it doesn't have any aqua in it but its close enough for me.  I don't want to put a clear on it, but if I don't, I will probably burn some edges. So I'll clear it tomorrow. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

I'm starting on this one next. Picked it up at the last Model Contest. To me, the body doesn't seem to resemble the box. Too big a notch in the back top even with the window in place. B pillar seems a bit too wide and the body sides a bit too tall. Hoping it will look better with some paint on it. 

enhance

The rear taillight panel is nice as a separate piece so that it can be painted separately. But the pin might break because the panel has to be tucked inside a small keeper at the bottom. I test-fitted it but bent the pin taking it out. but I probably will need so glue to strengthen it. I also had to thin down the body support for the hood by scraping it with my knife in order to get the hood to sit down a little more. It worked out well after paint. 

enhance

enhance

But it does look a good in paint.  Dupli-color Bahama Blue Metallic. It may not be exactly Azure Blue Metallic as it doesn't have any aqua in it but its close enough for me.  I don't want to put a clear on it, but if I don't, I will probably burn some edges. So I'll clear it tomorrow. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

Duplicolor Perfect Match is great paint, getting expensive but worth it..with clear on it it will "Pop" for sure..

Thanks, Wayne, Bob, and James! I appreciate your comments!  Its 100 degrees today, but only 40% humidity so I went for it with the clear coat.  Looks pretty good and I will only have to spend a little time rubbing it out! Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

Great looking color and smooth finish. You mention having mounting problems with the tail panel. The Firebird I'm working on also has sort of a vague mounting system as well. What I did was to add a couple of very small 90-degree plastic mounting flanges on the inside of the body. This will help hold the panel in place and minimize the amount of glue needed since the flange acts as a stop for the panel as well as a glue point. 

Thanks, All!  I appreciate your comments! David, the flanges are already there.  its the flange or keeper that holds the panel in at the bottom that has the pin in a bit of a bind. The pin may have to go. 

Finished rubbing it out and foiled the body.  There are a couple of decals for the Nova SS script and the V emblem that will wait till final assembly.  Here are three pics. 

enhance

enhance

enhance

I've also been working on the paint and parts for another build. Its an AMT Snap-fast Plus that was the last model on the table in a contest raffle.  A 73 Plymouth 'Cuda that has a flat hood with no hood scoops. I filled and sanded out the trunk where the screw posts are positioned. In the process, I managed to break the right A pillar so I repaired it as best I could without puttying it up. The 73 year did have a Sky Blue.  I used Tamiya Light Blue which is not exactly Sky Blue but its the lightest blue in the Tamiya line. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

Thanks, Francisco, Carl, Bob, and David!  I appreciate your comments!  David, I didn't think about the light blue as Petty Blue but maybe its time to build that stock car! 

I finished the engine and chassis.  Since these Moebius kits are somewhat high-priced, I want to point out a couple of errors in the instructions.  Moebius might need to employ a proof reader (or a better proof-reader) for their instructions. Neither of these two errors would cause an experienced modeler any issues but the novice might be misled and disappointed. 

First, the left spring  and right A-arm are numbered with the same part number. Its not hard to figure out and you just have to look at the inner fender, spring and a-arm assemblies to figure it out.  That is, the larger peg and smaller peg in the A-arm go into the smaller and larger receiving holes on each side of the inner fender to get the right angle for the spring. But another word of caution - there is a spring mount on the bottom of the spring that might be mistaken for just a sprue attachment point that needs to remain with the spring. The two smallish pins fit onto the A-arm in the two little indents for them.  There is a warning about not cutting off the pins at the bottom of the radiator, but no caution about these pins at the bottom of the spring.  I didn't photograph the parts as I was assembling but there is a photo of the completed assembly below that might be helpful. 

In addition, the rear shock mounts are mis-identified as right and left. Swapping them out will correctly assemble the shocks and shock mounts in the rear. 

Other than those two errors, everything goes together well and the chassis sits very well on all fours.  I have noticed over several of these Moebius Models that engine never leaves any room for or simulates any spark plug placement on the engine so I don't add spark plug detail. On a 283, it would be hard to see anyway, if wired correctly. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, David!  The kit did not come with white walls. These are actually decals from a 66 Chevy kit that I had in my decal drawer.  Not sure why I didn't use them on the 66 chevy and I am not sure I could find it right now. Thanks for looking! 😎

7 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, David!  The kit did not come with white walls. These are actually decals from a 66 Chevy kit that I had in my decal drawer.  Not sure why I didn't use them on the 66 chevy and I am not sure I could find it right now. Thanks for looking! 😎

Thanks great job

Thanks, David, James and Carl!  I appreciate your comments! 

The interior went together pretty well - at least the first time.  The instructions would have you complete the body, including bumpers, door handles, mirrors, antenna but I left those items off anticipating difficulty with mounting the body.  Good call!  I couldn't get the interior into the body so that both interior sides met the window sill.  In the process, I ruined some foil, and broke the left front spindle and knocked out the left wing window. So I took the body off, repaired the front spindle and re-glued the wing window. Next I removed the left interior door panel and dash. I cut off the tabs on the dash so it would fit more flush and remounted the left inner door panel to make sure it was straight and completely seated in its mount. I then slipped the body over the frame/interior but it still was obstinate. I placed my thumb on top of the sill and fingers on the chassis and squeezed it firmly and the left side finally popped into place. I damaged more foil but was able to repair and replace everything.  The interior is still not perfectly seated but it should push up a little more when I glue the back of the frame inside the taillight panel which will raise the rear of the interior a bit. 

You would think that a boxy, slap-sided body would fit better and easier but it was a chore.  I expect a little more from a high-priced kit. here are some photos.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Rusty! I appreciate your comment! 

This one is done.  I am somewhat disappointed with the kit.  During final assembly I ran into several challenges.  I broke the left door handle right in the middle as I was taking it off the tree. I guess I need to buy a fine-tipped sprue cutter for these small pieces. I think part of the problem is that each of the small pieces have two sprue attachment points when one would do. I also broke the antenna trying to remove the sprue attachment remnant from the shaft of the antenna. I used the antenna that was intended for rear in the front position.  I broke the right side mirror while trying fit the peg into the hole that I drilled.  I glued it back together and I think it looks OK. Finally, the decals have very poor registration and don't fit. Even the license plates are too big for the license plate frames. I stuck them on anyway and used the chrome pen for the script.  If you could read it it would say "Nova SS". Here are some pics and thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I forgot to add a couple of decals to the valve covers that designate 283 that I have in my stash. I also need to paint the radiator hose silver for a clamp. 

enhance