Model Cars Magazine Forum

It depends on the air pressure and paint consistency mostly. I frequently use a .030” nozzle on my Paasche H, but if I can’t get a nice wet coat I will move up to the .050” nozzle.  It will definitely work for bodies.

Edited by NOBLNG

I found the 0.5 nozzle on my Paasche H put too much paint on. Have changed it to 0.3 nozzle but tried it since

It is depenedant on paint thickness too - I tend to thin most of my paints at 1:1.5~2 (paint thinner ratio) and build up paint thickness with mist coats with a last wet coat

4 hours ago, Miatatom said:

It depends on what air brush you're using. I typically use something around 0.5 mm.

I meant 1.05 mm but not on bodies. The #1 is 0.45 mm and the #3 is 0.75 mm. These are Paasche H sizes. I also use a Creos PS-290 with a fan spray tip and a 0.5 mm nozzle. Have I confused everyone enough? 😂

Edited by Miatatom

Just to clarify Tom's response, Paasche refers to the tip sizes for the H as 1, 3, and 5. These numbers to not correspond to either inch or millimetre values Tip 1, as Tom said is 0.45 mm. Tip 3 is 0.75 mm, and Tip 5 is 1.05 mm

Tip 1 should be adequate to spray large areas, such as a car's body. If this does not deliver sufficient paint, go up to Tip 3. Tip 5 would be overkill. LOL

Edited by Bill Eh?
sp

To me Tip 3 on the H is fine for enamels and acrylic. But for lacquer I like the .25 on my Badger 200. That's not to say I never used the #1 tip on the H or the .5 on the Badger though.

Then I have the Ganzton and pretty much just stick with a .3 on that. But I rarely use that on cars, it's more for art work.