Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood All Weather Phaeton - The old Italeri/Testors kit reworked

Plastheniker

Hi,

Italeri released this kit almost 40 years ago as one of their first 1/24 car kits.

Considering its age the kit is not that poor. Proportions look perfect, fit and casting quality are nice, even the chrome surfaces are better than one should expect.

Nevertheless without tackling numerous issues the finished model will not look very convincing.

I remember the following:

* All early Italeri car kits have 2-piece styrene tires without real tread. Since the tires are visible on the finished model I used the same technique decribed some time ago in my Italeri Mercedes 540K topic.

* The kit grille is a massive, chromed part that makes the model look unrealistic. As with my mentioned Mercedes I made a new grille using a generic etched fret.

* The bonnet has 6 ventilation flaps, 4 lateral and 2 on the top, replicated by unrealistic raised panel lines. I rescribed the upper two and opened the lateral four.

* Incomprehensively Italeri omitted the most prominent chrome moulding running from one side of the radiator around the whole body to the other side of the radiator. Without it the finished model would look incomplete.

* The original bumpers are made of 4 separate round tubes. The kit bumpers, however, are closed on the backside. I milled the back open. Besides this OOB both bumpers sit conspicuously too low.

* The fit of the soft top could be better. Making it fit snuggly is rather time-consuming.

* The large chromed parts of the luggage carrier have ugly seams. Praise Mr. Molotow!

* Sadly Italeri omitted those prominent auxiliary headlamps seen on real cars.

* The simple kit dashboard needs some attention, all the more so as the kit comes witout any decals.

* Finally careful foiling makes or breaks the model. Some of the chrome mouldings are very delicate (f. e. on the lower edge of the fenders/running boards), so this kit should certainly not be a modeler's first foiling work.

All in all with some effort this old kit can make a very rewarding project despite all its issues.

Cadillac001250-vi.jpg
Cadillac002250-vi.jpg
Cadillac003250-vi.jpg
Cadillac004250-vi.jpg
Cadillac005250-vi.jpg
Cadillac006250-vi.jpg
Cadillac007250-vi.jpg
Cadillac008250-vi.jpg
Cadillac009250-vi.jpg
Cadillac010250-vi.jpg
Cadillac011250-vi.jpg
Cadillac012250-vi.jpg
Cadillac013250-vi.jpg
Cadillac014250-vi.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the response!

8 hours ago, bbowser said:

Beautiful car!  Understated colors are very classy.  What did you use on the top, it's very convincing?

Bruce, besides the mentioned fit improvements I simulated the two prominent fabric seams by thin and narrow styrene strips. The chrome rib (I hope this is the right word) is a piece of stainless steel wire fixed by a scribed groove. The rest is just paint ...