Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Fonty Flock Chevy W.I.P. pics

MarkJ

Trying to build a reasonable facsimile to the real car that Fonty won with in 1955. All I have are 3 fuzzy black and white photos to go by so its going to be a guess on most of it. I do know that the body color is red and black.

interior.jpg

ltside.jpg

removedexhaustframe.jpg

So far since I took these pictures I have finished the interior ,engine, wheels and tires, and frame. The body is primed and ready for paint and I have done the artwork for two of the contengency decals and both left and right quarter panel sponsor decals.

Thanks James. I hope to paint the body tomorrow and install the engine and exhaust to the frame. I'm going to brush paint it because I have noticed that acryl goes on just as smooth or smoother with a brush then with an air brush. You have to sand and polish acryl anyway so if there are any brush strokes I can just sand them away and then polish. Plus I don't have to go out in the garage to use my airbrush and then clean it.

• 4 weeks later...
Let's talk about the chassis, here, Mark. How did you cut out the molded in exhaust so cleanly, or is that from the R/M 56?

Thanks

Slim

Slim, I used a chisel type exacto knife to remove the exhaust pipe ,muffler and tailpipe. When you remove the muffler and parts of the tailpipe it leaves a hole in the chassis. I backed up the holes

with small pieces of sheet styrene and then filled in the holes with squadron putty. After it dried I tryed to match the floor details as best I could with various exacto blades. If you look closely at where the muffler was you can see that its not quite the same as the other side. It definitely is the amt chassis. I have an R/M 56 kit but I'm saving it to do Rex White's number X, 56 Chevy. Thanks for the props on the job,but if I had a more close up picture you would see it's not that great. I just could not leave that ugly molded in exhaust even though its a curbside shelfer.

Thanks Mark, it looks real good to me! I tried cutting/grinding it out on one 55 build and it was a real hack job. Now I just cut the whole center section out on my short track cars and fill it all back in with a NASCAR floor or the interior tub bottom, then add some bracing to distract the eye. You can take a little more artistic licsence on a short track then an early Grand National such as yours! Again, great looking build!

DSCN2727_edited.jpg