Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear

On 6/4/2022 at 2:04 PM, 1959scudetto said:

This has to be the amt version (small bumper, non-opening cab doors) with a shortened frame, isn't it? Anyway, the typical 70's paint-scheme looks stunning !

Thanks Helmut. Yes, it is the AMT kit with a shortened frame. The frame was shortened 61mm. 

On 6/5/2022 at 4:51 AM, Jim Whalen said:

Great build - these old AMT truck kits don't fall together like some modern kits do but with some work they can look really good as you have managed to do with your model.

Thanks Jim. Very true, these kits can test your skills. My biggest issues were the decals. The dry transfers failed, even when I transferred them to decal paper. The next set from Firebirds failed (my fault, not the decals). Finally had to order decals from ModelTrucking and mask off the areas. Finally made it work !

On 6/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dutzie said:

Thanks Jim. Very true, these kits can test your skills. My biggest issues were the decals. The dry transfers failed, even when I transferred them to decal paper. The next set from Firebirds failed (my fault, not the decals). Finally had to order decals from ModelTrucking and mask off the areas. Finally made it work !

I have heard about the ModelTrucking decals - and I believe they are more accurate for the BJ and the Bear rig than the original AMT ones were.  I plan to try their decals on some builds in the future.  I haven't heard of Firebirds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Whalen said:

I have heard about the ModelTrucking decals - and I believe they are more accurate for the BJ and the Bear rig than the original AMT ones were.  I plan to try their decals on some builds in the future.  I haven't heard of Firebirds.

ModelTrucking decals are great. I have used several sets in the past with no issues. Very easy to work with and lay down excellent. I don’t know if Firebirds has there own website but I had originally contacted him on EBay. I have a couple of different sets of decals from them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...