Model Cars Magazine Forum

Memorial Day

Today’s folks - especially young families who have zero clue what Memorial Day is about. Tonight, someone in my neighborhood was shooting off fireworks because it’s Memorial Day. I mean who shoots fireworks on Memorial Day?

I find it disrespectful and distasteful. Am I wrong to feel this way? Or is it folks today don’t understand the true meaning behind Memorial Day. 

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I mean who shoots fireworks on Memorial Day?

Probably the same type of folks who complain to a veteran about the weather ruining their Memorial Day cookout. 

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Am I wrong to feel this way?

No. It’s a time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. To give understanding and thanks to those who have served. Not to party with fireworks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks have lost touch with memorial day. Just a reason to get drunk on a boat at a lake. No one taking time to think about why they have a day off. They do not even realize that from the begining of time someone has given up their life so others can march on. It is not about the last war,, or the war before that, or even the war before that. It is really about the lifes lost in each and every war from the start. 

• Like 2

There are holidays for parties and there are holidays that should be a day of reflection. Veterans day and Memorial day are for reflection and gratitude to those have sacrificed for our freedoms.

Unfortunately all holidays have become the focus of endless sales and just another day off work.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Unfortunately all holidays have become the focus of endless sales and just another day off work.

And what’s wrong with another day off from work? It is a paid holiday off in the public sector. I work for the county and I get he day off with pay.  Don’t be a hater. ROFL! 

As far as endless sales... who cares. It has always been a sale promotion for retailers for as long as I remember.  I’ll bet you bought something that’s on sale no matter the holiday. LOL!

Don’t take it too personal with my comments. Just responding out of jest to your comment.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

Probably the same type of folks who complain to a veteran about the weather ruining their Memorial Day cookout. 

No. It’s a time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. To give understanding and thanks to those who have served. Not to party with fireworks. 

Neighborhoods near me think it's appropriate to not only shoot off illegal fireworks a WEEK before July 4th, but every holiday that has a flag in it. New Years lasts almost all night.

People have no clue what the holidays are for, they just need a reason to get high, get drunk and blow off a few fingers in the process. 

That is considered a good time.

• Like 1

And in these times you'd think the sound of explosions would be repulsive!

Between the recent shootings and the war in Ukraine,  those sounds just aren't appropriate right now!

I'm building out a floor of office space.  This week we were framing offices and shooting studs into the floor slab.  It can sound like gun fire. We did this on Thursday / Friday which are work from home days.  I did send a notice to the entire  building, for those who still choose to come into the office, so nobody would be alarmed!

I can remember many years ago running a Cub Scout troop/pack and we'd all go to the Military cemetery and put little flags at all the graves. It was a teachable moment for these kids that probably isn't taught at school.