Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Electra Wildcat EV Concept

I like it overall, but I sure wish designers would get past the mechanical catfish-face, and accent lines going every which way.

If you cleaned up the overwrought hysterical styling of the front of that thing, it could be elegantly beautiful.

But like so many of today's cars, it looks like every member of the team got to put a squiggle on it, whether it integrated well with everything else or not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I like it overall, but I sure wish designers would get past the mechanical catfish-face, and accent lines going every which way.

If you cleaned up the overwrought hysterical styling of the front of that thing, it could be elegantly beautiful.

But like so many of today's cars, it looks like every member of the team got to put a squiggle on it, whether it integrated well with everything else or not.

I agree, the front is where it comes apart, terribly. It really makes no sense with the rest of the design....

Very busy front end, but overall, this is a really good looking car.

I like the "flying" roof design, with the somewhat invisible A-pillar.

I see a few things that would have to be changed for production, but if they can stay close to this, that would be great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

That front end is designed to make stay-in-the-slow-lane beta male drivers feel like apex predator road warriors when they parallel park.

Probably, but it's a claim you could make for most American cars made since WW2.

I will say the WIldcat is definitely a step up from the origami they applied to the C8 Corvette.

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, larman said:

I agree, the front is where it comes apart, terribly. It really makes no sense with the rest of the design....

I don't know, it's better than the Lexus and BMW grills and no where near over the top like some of Buick's grills from the 50's.

28D8BC08-5A40-4480-9FD8-4287D1D33AEF.jpeg.94300fa3a177826c5d116811decbb430.jpeg

Why? Why did they put that there?

Also, the Buick lettering right above the windshield. Were they trying to emulate the destination boards you’d normally see on busses? I guess it’s comforting to know that Chevrolet isn’t alone these days when it comes to a shortage of brainpower in the design studio. 

15 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

It seems as though there's an unwritten rule now that you can't leave any clean line unadorned without tacking some useless lump or geegaw on it. 

It's entirely possible to look "modern" and be free from excess ornamentation...but it's harder to make an original clean design than it is to cover something with clutter to proclaim its individuality.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's entirely possible to look "modern" and be free from excess ornamentation...but it's harder to make an original clean design than it is to cover something with clutter to proclaim its individuality.

To quote W.C. Fields, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with....."

You know the rest. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

28D8BC08-5A40-4480-9FD8-4287D1D33AEF.jpeg.94300fa3a177826c5d116811decbb430.jpeg

It’s likely a sensor housing for advanced cruise control and accident avoidance. IR night vision uses similar. Benz cleverly buries it behind the star, the IR camera is tucked in grille. The traffic cameras are usually up in top of windshield by rain sensor and RV mirror. 
Not very well integrated I’d concur, but need to be unobstructed  

Edited by keyser
  • Like 1