Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.

Wonderful details Steve!

The dimmer switch reminded me of a young lot kid we had working at the dealership quite a few years ago. We had taken in, on trade, an old Ford Pick-Up and when one of our lot kids went to move it he drove it up to where I was standing. He said, “hey Wolf, what’s this thing do?” while madly clicking away on the switch. I explained that was an old style foot operated dimmer switch for the headlights. The expression on his face was priceless as he replied, “noooo waaaay, really?” I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

Cheers,    
Wolf

Edited by Wolf
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wolf said:

Wonderful details Steve!

The dimmer switch reminded me of a young lot kid we had working at the dealership quite a few years ago. We had taken in, on trade, an old Ford Pick-Up and when one of our lot kids went to move it he drove it up to where I was standing. He said, “hey Wolf, what’s this thing do?” while madly clicking away on the switch. I explained that was an old style food operated dimmer switch for the headlights. The expression on his face was priceless as he replied, “noooo waaaay, really?” I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

Cheers,    
Wolf

I remember sitting in the back seat at 5 or 6 years old and hearing the click every time the lights were changed, but not being able to figure out how my dad was doing it. :P

Steve

I had one of those dimmer switches short out one dark night and left me stranded. I stomped the switch to dim the lights, and they went out, completely! That was on an old Chevelle Malibu.

Edited by Bucky

Steve, your work is incredible and true enthusiasts of detail and accuracy. You always give us inspiration  to move up to the next level to make models what they should be replicating the 1:1 cars. Looking forward to your completion of this build.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Killer work on the visors!

Did you make the vanity mirror functional too? 

JK! :D   I could see you doing it though.

David G.

I'm not certain, but I believe that the vanity mirror on this vintage of Pontiac was just a mirror fastened to the visor, unlike today's mirrors, with a hinged cover.

So, I guess you could say that it is functional. :D

Steve

On 7/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, Kah puts said:

They look marvelous. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, slusher said:

Real nice touch, Steve!

On 7/28/2022 at 9:55 AM, espo said:

Amazing attention to even the finest little detail. Always learn new tricks watching your builds. 

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Beautiful detailing as usual Steven. I've got the same opinion about convertibles getting more attention than usual as the interiors are little showcases in themselves. 

2 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Steve, your work is incredible and true enthusiasts of detail and accuracy. You always give us inspiration  to move up to the next level to make models what they should be replicating the 1:1 cars. Looking forward to your completion of this build.

Thanks much guys!!

Steve

I like the magnet idea for the hood hinges. I've never liked doing opening doors as glued in one position only, I like them to be open or closed. 

The magnet idea seems like a good compromise. I'm going to have to steal that idea for some projects I have, Steve.

Did anyone ever make photoetch hinges that folded?

Early on in this thread you spoke on more than one occasion of ”grinding” as part of the modification process.  I assume grinding is referring to removing plastic and I am curious as to what sort of tool you use?  As so many others have said, I too find your model building skills astonishing and inspiring.  Thanks for sharing your process with neophytes such as myself.