Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hilborn Injection for SOHC Ford

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't know right off hand, but anything with even port spacing like a Ford FE or a Chrysler hemi will get you very close.

Keep in mind that any Chrysler option will have the opposite cylinder bank off-set.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Keep in mind that any Chrysler option will have the opposite cylinder bank off-set.

True...and it's good you pointed that out...but the first-gen Chrysler hemis used a separate valley cover, and the L and R throttle bodies would likely be stand-alone castings, adaptable to the Ford SOHC in model form if a valley cover is fabbed from sheet stock. Not perfectly prototype-correct, but in 1/25, nobody but a real-engine guy will care.

And while the 426 hemi uses the intake manifold as the valley cover, Hilborn injection manifolds usually have longitudinal ribs. Not too hard to cut between them and correct the offset for a Ford.

Either way, it's a whole lot easier than fabbing something from scratch...which is what I meant by "will get you very close".   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

24 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

...I did see the Speed City manifold but me not knowing really anything about the Hilborn Injection I didn't know if it would do.

Here's the thing with the Speed City part...Ford FE engines with pushrod heads use the edges of the intake manifold as the inner valve cover sealing rails.

That makes the manifold wider than most others.

It MIGHT be possible to file away the excess material from both sides of the manifold so it would snuggle down between the SOHC heads like it was made for it.

But it might not.

My gut feeling is that it would work, but it says right there on the web page it WON'T work on the SOHC.

If it was me, I'd gamble the $12 plus shipping just to find out...but I'm used to doing heavy mods on things to make other things.

MAYBE you can find somebody parting out one of the Mustang kits above, but unless you get the whole engine, you run the risk of the injection manifold not fitting the SOHC you have, as there are many different kit versions that were measured and scaled by people with varying degrees of accuracy.

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's the thing with the Speed City part...Ford FE engines with pushrod heads use the edges of the intake manifold as the inner valve cover sealing rails.

That makes the manifold wider than most others.

It MIGHT be possible to file away the excess material from both sides of the manifold so it would snuggle down between the SOHC heads like it was made for it.

But it might not.

My gut feeling is that it would work, but it says right there on the web page it WON'T work on the SOHC.

If it was me, I'd gamble the $12 plus shipping just to find out...but I'm used to doing heavy mods on things to make other things.

MAYBE you can find somebody parting out one of the Mustang kits above, but unless you get the whole engine, you run the risk of the injection manifold not fitting the SOHC you have, as there are many different kit versions that were measured and scaled by people with varying degrees of accuracy.

Thanks Bill, certailnly something to consider.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wonder if some careful light rework might adapt that one to a SOHC...

If Scott (Speed City Resin) wasn't going to offer the SOHC manifold I was going to scratch build/modify one.  I have been searching but haven't found any good pictures of just the SOHC manifold to study.

21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Anyone have a idea if there is an aftermarket Hilborn injection setup for the SOHC engine

Reliable resin offers this one:    http://www.reliableresin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=209

I realize there are people not convinced of Reliable Resin's reliability, so there's that.

3 hours ago, afx said:

...I have been searching but haven't found any good pictures of just the SOHC manifold to study.

images.jpg.b2410b1d18bc266517c0891d080a8ed2.jpg751924760_HilbornInjection_01.jpg.51e7b6cfaf5b2bf1c2a77b6dfea1d881.jpg

Same basic casting, set up for EFI:       image.jpeg.dbbfe8358b63435660b6dfe7448156a4.jpeg

EDIT: In the photo immediately above, the fuel injectors live in the old mechanical injector bosses on the inner side of the ports. The lines you see on the outer sides of the ports are vacuum to the MAP sensor.

BIG pictures of the Hilborn manifold EFI setup at link below. Manifold casting itself is almost identical to the old-school mechanical unit.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=38

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

If there is a demand for these engines, I could design one with FI manifold. They could then be 3D printed.

There seems to be a fair amount of interest, judging from the response to the thread posted below.

It takes a lot of fiddling around to get one that satisfies me, and I'd happily pay real money for an accurate, high-res, cleanly printed one...with multiple induction setups.

Wow, I never imagined this thread would take off like this. I'm planning to do the Meobus Nicholson A/FX Comet car but not wtth the 2x4 induction.  Like a few guys' on here (and this is not meant in a bad way) I'm not a huge stickler for 100% accuracy. 

Thanks again for the replies.    And Scott you could count me in for a manifold.

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Ron Olson has a 3d printed version on his Shapeways store. I don't have this in particular but everything I've gotten from him has been high quality. I'd opt for the smoothest fine plastic, the price difference is usually worth it. 

710x528_26024487_14160055_1546102029_1_0.jpg.5c44007a2d721a56dead90e57c542d76.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BSBRUX77W/427-sohc-1-25-w-hilborne-injection

Thanks Brian, I saw that. I have the engine, just need the manifold.   

Scott @ SCR - please count me in for at least two of these cammer Hilborn Fi manifolds if you ever offer them in resin. 
I have no knowledge of/ experience with the AMT ‘69 Galaxie SOHC but IMO the AMT Mustang funny car engine parts are like cartoon toy parts compared with the Moebius SOHC. I’ve bought two of the Moebius Comet A/FX kits just for the engines. Love that engine!