Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is an old AMT reissue model from ERTL. This has been in the stach for a while. The tube grill is from the kit, and I removed most of the emblems of the body. The paint used was Tamiya Wood Deck Tan for the main part of the body and some old Testers Gold for the roof and tops of the fins. Used a combination of the two colors for the interior and flocking on the floor. The engine is wired and plumbed with battery cables and heater hoses as well. The suspension has been lowered. The wheels have the kits stock centers painted and I cut the outers off of the custom wheels in the kit to have a chrome outer and a little wider wheel. The hood clearance issue has been corrected. 

IMG_1722 (2).jpg

IMG_1723 (2).jpg

IMG_1724 (2).jpg

IMG_1721 (2).jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

VERY cool, low key cruiser! Did you vacu-form a windshield?

Thanks Rusty.  The windows are all from the kit. I like to dip them in Future Floor Wax as it acts like a clear and doesn't seem to get scratched with age.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, bisc63 said:

VERY cool, low key cruiser! Did you vacu-form a windshield?

On 6/7/2022 at 6:38 AM, Zippi said:

That turned out Super sharpe.  The color looks pretty nice.  I have this kit but haven't even thought about building it just yet.  Nice build.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, John M. said:

SWEET!

On 6/7/2022 at 6:17 PM, shoopdog said:

Looks great David, like your choice of color.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:56 PM, TransAmMike said:

Cool '59 David, great job!!

On 6/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Plowboy said:

Nice looking El Camino David! I like the subtle approach you went with! I've wondered what the Wood Deck Tan would look like on a model. Now I know! I'll have to get a can on my next order. 

I try to build them the way I would want to have a 1:1. 

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Really nice looking El Camino!

10 hours ago, TNT said:

Nice. Love the color combo. My daughter bought me on for my 59th b day. 

Tried a two tone color combo that was seen on '59 Chevrolets. The primary color was usually the copper with the roof and top of the fines done in white or beige. I just thought it looked better this way. 

Hi David, I had missed this one. What a great colour combo! I need to get braver and try some “less common” colours, this combo suits the car (er… truck?) perfectly. Very clean build, and you know I like that you lowered it! The ‘59’s horizontal fins are so iconic. Nice job on the foil work, and man… there’s lots of it! Is that aluminum tubing for the exhaust tips? 

12 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi David, I had missed this one. What a great colour combo! I need to get braver and try some “less common” colours, this combo suits the car (er… truck?) perfectly. Very clean build, and you know I like that you lowered it! The ‘59’s horizontal fins are so iconic. Nice job on the foil work, and man… there’s lots of it! Is that aluminum tubing for the exhaust tips? 

Hi Steve. Thanks for your interest. The colors are similar to a two-tone option on the Chevys but usually the copper color would have been the primary color. I just wanted to see how it would look reversed. The exhaust is how I usually do exhaust tips. I have a mini pipe cutter to cut the lengths of aluminum tubing and I use an old nail to flare the ends. The body trim is really faint on this kit, so the foiling was a bit of a challenge, but it turned out good for the most part.    

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:01 AM, XYHARRY said:

Nice! I love adventurous paint jobs. Your attention to detail inspires me. 

Thank you for your interest. I have been enjoying your builds as well. We all get ideas from seeing each other's builds.