Model Cars Magazine Forum

STP Turbine

S10man

My latest work in progress, Granatelli's famous "Silent Sam" which shook up Indianapolis in 1967. The kit is the MPC 1/20 scale, a very good and quite well detailed kit, and a pleasure to build. I was luck enough to score 2 of these kits, in mint condition, on e-bay.

STPchassis8.jpg

STPchassis6.jpg

STPchassis9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get this one finished. This is the car that Andy Granatelli entered for the 1967 Indy 500. Designed by Ken Wallis, the car nearly won the race, defeated by a bearing failure with a handful of laps to go. You can read more about the car here:

http://stp50.com/uk/extra41.html

I added some details, such are brake lines, but basically it is out of the box. I replaced the kit decals with Indycals. Thanks for looking.

Turbinedone6.jpg

Turbinedone4.jpg

Turbinedone1.jpg

wow you have some nice stuff!!! how much time do you put into an average model? looks like you have been in the hobby for some time, you have some outstanding models. I hope to be that good someday.

Thank you for the kind words Bob. I'm an old retired coot, so I have lots of time to spend on my favorite hobby. I never even try to keep track of the hours I spend....its a labor of love for me. I look at some of the fantastic work done by others on this forum, and share your sentiments about being that good someday! :)

S10man, very nice looking model, saw the real thing at Indy, very strange to see it run but interesting also. Since you have another kit, do you need another set of decals? I picked up a set but never won any auctions on E-bay and I will be happy to sell the decals if you are interested.

S10man, very nice looking model, saw the real thing at Indy, very strange to see it run but interesting also. Since you have another kit, do you need another set of decals? I picked up a set but never won any auctions on E-bay and I will be happy to sell the decals if you are interested.

Thanks very much for your comments and offer of decals, but I bought an extra set of Indycals when I did this car.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...