Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF alternative

Hey fellas 
My MIG AMMO adhesive aluminum sheets just arrived from Ebay and compares well with BMF. The MIG measures about .0015 compared to .0005 Of BMF. The MIG goes down just as easily and sticks very well. There are 5- 7 3/4 X 11 inch sheets per package at under $20.00 including shipping.

591872C7-5F7E-4F2A-A3AF-6ABCCBE9B306.jpeg

4B6B3BF7-9243-433C-9F3D-10F5169A1DEA.jpeg

• Like 1

being  0.0015" instead of 0.0005" is much more than 1.5 times. It is 3 times as thick.  Also thicker might mean more forgiving, but also not as pliable and  stretchy (so it will not conform as well to  features like scripts. BMF chrome is also  *NOT* aluminum foil. it is some sort of liw melt temperature alloy which is very stretchy. We already have a thread on BMF and all the alternatives.

The MIG foil review is in

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Being 1.5 times thicker than BMF should be a bit more forgiving when applying.

With as much complaining that we hear about just the thickness of BMF "Ultra Bright" foil, which I doubt is nowhere near 3 times as thick, I don't think the added thickness will be much of a benefit.

The extreme thinness of BMF is what makes it as workable as it is.

How many people were ready to chuck BMF altogether recently, not only because of adhesion problems, but because it was thicker and wouldn't cut or conform as well?

If this MIG AMMO foil will work for something like the tail light bezels on these 2 models, I may consider a switch. ;)

image.jpeg.93be5c0585a501732f180cb556307b42.jpeg

image.jpeg.bf42d7059d3e90d826787de93bebb556.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick L said:

I’m not knocking BMF. I use it. But the MIG is a great alternative to where I don’t need BMF. Such as my illustrated photo. 

Absolutely!

There's always room for new tools and materials.

I just have real reservations as to whether or not this is a true "BMF Alternative".

It might be an acceptable substitute in certain circumstances, but my gut tells me it's not a replacement.

Steve

• Like 1

At 0.0015 this new foil is still very, very thin material it has to be said although 3 times thicker than Bare Metal Foil.

Like previous posters mentioned, all different thicknesses of aluminium foil will have their uses on our models. It is a case of horses for courses depending on the area of application needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been using a UK made product C1 Polishing Powder for chrome. To do trims I cut off a wooden cocktail stick and file a semi circle into the end of it. Lightly touch into the powder, locate the half round on the trim and you can burnish the trim whilst having good control over it.

Found this far easier than applying foil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just bought a new package of BMF and tried it.  The material appears to be as good as the older foil was for adherence and for stretch.  That is the good thing about it; that it is malleable enough to stretch around some corners.  The adherence problems appear to have been solved.  I will say that for some things BMF will not work but a Molotow chrome pen will.  And I like both as a means of replicating chrome.

• Thanks 1