Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting the IH Transtar 4070a soon

Good day all hope everyone is well. I am getting the repop AMT Transtar 4070a probably over the weekend and could ( as always) use some advice. I know pretty much it will be a Loadmasters tractor using most likely the Alcoa’s on the front. So obviously I kind of have an idea of colors, and probably going with Tamiya. However could use so input on which primer to use, and how to get a good prep afterwards on sanding the primer. I generally tend to be awfully heavy handed when sanding so I am a bit wary of how you say “ screwing it up”. So if anybody has any input, or pics of their builds I’d appreciate it. Thank you.

I always use soap and water to get the bare plastic clean,i use dish soap and hot water,and use a old toothbrush to scrub it,it helps get the mold release agents off.Do any prep work to the cab first,then "scrub" let it dry and it should be ready for paint,as for primer i try and use very light coats,try not to get it on too dry,it looks and feels rough,it can be wet sanded with 600 to 800 wet sand paper,90 percent of a good paint job is in the prep.The primer only has to cover,you dont want it too thick unless your planning to sand over some bodywork,try not to overthink it,it is really not that hard,just take your time. harvey

Nice, I'm eager to see what you're going to do with it.

By the way...the CO4070A kit is not a straight repop as the old tooling for the CO4070A kit was changed to do the CO4070B Transtar II  Eagle back in the mid 70's and it was not possible to do the CO4070A anymore, Round 2 doesn't have the tool for the CO4070B Transtar II Eagle as it wasn't included in the tool bank they bought from Tomy for some reason...and Tomy will most likely not do the CO4070B Transtar II and that's sad.
So the CO4070A kit we have today is a reverse engineered all new kit and it's not exactly as the old ERTL kit was as some things are improved and changed.

13 hours ago, Force said:

Nice, I'm eager to see what you're going to do with it.

By the way...the CO4070A kit is not a straight repop as the old tooling for the CO4070A kit was changed to do the CO4070B Transtar II  Eagle back in the mid 70's and it was not possible to do the CO4070A anymore, Round 2 doesn't have the tool for the CO4070B Transtar II Eagle as it wasn't included in the tool bank they bought from Tomy for some reason...and Tomy will most likely not do the CO4070B Transtar II and that's sad.
So the CO4070A kit we have today is a reverse engineered all new kit and it's not exactly as the old ERTL kit was as some things are improved and changed.

Facts thank you for clarifying

You'll like this kit.   It can be assembled rather than having to "build" it.   This is the best part, how they did the interior.  I wish they woulda done like that on every truck kit. Saves a buttload of time and masking tape.   This may or may not be a bother to anyone else but I kinda wish the exhaust system had been a few more pieces.  I mean just if the stacks were separate from the jungle gym  that holds them up.  It would be easier to paint it that way.   I can't say it's the best truck kit ever since I haven't built all of them but it's by far the best truck kit I have done.   Happy modeling.

IMG_7683r.jpg.5790c96b8e4b66bf289d31129690abd1.jpg

IMG_7685r.jpg.4274800389a2cb1206f2e63a03fb28a9.jpg

20 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

You'll like this kit.   It can be assembled rather than having to "build" it.   This is the best part, how they did the interior.  I wish they woulda done like that on every truck kit. Saves a buttload of time and masking tape.   This may or may not be a bother to anyone else but I kinda wish the exhaust system had been a few more pieces.  I mean just if the stacks were separate from the jungle gym  that holds them up.  It would be easier to paint it that way.   I can't say it's the best truck kit ever since I haven't built all of them but it's by far the best truck kit I have done.   Happy modeling.

IMG_7683r.jpg.5790c96b8e4b66bf289d31129690abd1.jpg

IMG_7685r.jpg.4274800389a2cb1206f2e63a03fb28a9.jpg

Doug very nice thanks for sharing. What brand/shade is the paint you used.

6 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Doug very nice thanks for sharing. What brand/shade is the paint you used.

Thanks Jerry.   Interior colors were Rustoleum metallic champagne bronze and Rustoleum satin saphire.     I don't believe these trucks ever came with a blue interior but I wanted it.  Artistic license🙂

5 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Suffice to say, this kit being all-new shouldn't require any more than a light coat of primer. I have the kit as well -- so crisp and clean! 

I used Tamiya almost exclusively, especially for a final primer coat before colour coats. 

Have fun with yours!

Thanks I will start it when I have the chance.

• Like 1

My thing with this kit when I say Holy Grail is a couple of things. One is the fact is I got my original back in 1976 or 1977 in a hardware store in my hometown. Started the build and put it in the side never finished it. The bigger piece to me were the instructions booklet and the B&W pictures of the completed build. Always stuck with me. Now I am hung up on which front wheels to use. Like the spokes all the way around but the 10 holes intrigue me. The only things I’m set on the color (Blue), the livery which will be Loadmasters unless I screw up the decals then. The frame I guess in Black.

16 minutes ago, James Maynard said:

I've used the 5 spoke wheels on all 6 of my 4070s. I either paint them body color or steel. I think my two kits from the actual 1970's the 5 spoke wheels are chrome. 

Thanks. Also always wondered in those pictures was the two tone Red & White, or Blue & White. Something to ponder.