Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's "junk" '63 Corvette

roadhawg

29 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Stunning build Tommy, even more so considering you built it in 24 hours straight.

No, this one was built over about 3 weekends, in order to familiarize myself with any issues I needed to be aware of for the 24 hour build. I built the same kit as a gasser for the 2021 24 Hour Build. 

7 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Looks really great in white, as the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. You did a really good job on it and yes this kit can be challenging, but having build a few of these, there are way worse kits out there. What matters to me is the body shape, if it's good, the rest is just extra work to fix things. A challenging kit can be greatly rewarding, what you did with yours is a perfect example.

Yes sir, you are correct! The body shape is the main thing. Everything else is workable. 

That looks great! You are right, not a junk kit, in my opinion either. I restored an original '63 coupe many years ago and built it stock. I took a glue bomb and built it as a custom. Both were good kits to build. One difference is that the rear window had a depression in it for the split window bar and the molding was crisper. I have the convertible to restore next and it has the original flip headlights :) 

Corvette.2020   0055.jpg

Corvette.2020   0063.jpg

Really excellent build considering that the kit is "junk". 😀 Not sure why anyone would consider this kit junk but there's no satisfying everyone.

I built one several years back and, other than for my painting skills (or lack thereof at the time) didn't find any major issues with it. 

On a personal note, the '63 split window has been my all-time favorite Corvette since the day it went on sale at a local Chevy dealer in Brooklyn which was only a short walk from the long-defunct Brooklyn Hobby Shop. My best friend (and eventually my best man) were drooling teens at the time but I love it more now than I did then. He eventually owned a modified '62 Corvette convertible which he raced successfully at the local strips with yours truly as his one-man pit crew. 

I haven't seen any kit available other than the AMT but I am going to try another build now that my painting skills have improved.

• 1 month later...

The very first model I ever built was with my older brother and it was a '63 corvette. I can still remember it 29 years later. It was black with a tan interior and it had a decal on the hood. I'm pretty sure it was either this kit or a variation of it because it had the same hood and wheels. I loved that car.

• 1 month later...