Model Cars Magazine Forum

Front splitter questions

Hi guys just wondering what size styrene you use to build your front splitters from scratch. I don't have any hobby shops near me (nearest would be  6hrs away) anything I get will need to be ordered online. I know there are many different styles and opinions on what to do and that's great, I'd love to see them. Oh, I'm building in 1/25 scale right now. So anything in that size would be great.

58 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what’s a “front splitter”?

Steve

Its a spoiler under the front of a car to aid downforce in a race car, and fitted to a lot of pro touring type cars and tuners

1 hour ago, bill_67 said:

Hi guys just wondering what size styrene you use to build your front splitters from scratch. I don't have any hobby shops near me (nearest would be  6hrs away) anything I get will need to be ordered online. I know there are many different styles and opinions on what to do and that's great, I'd love to see them. Oh, I'm building in 1/25 scale right now. So anything in that size would be great.

Since a splitter tends to be thin I'd try food containers. I'd make a template of where it will mount to the body then shape the rest of the spltter to suit your taste. If you want to add braces i would drill holes to fit pins in the splitter and body. For non flat splitters I would make the splitter in layers

5 hours ago, bill_67 said:

I suppose use 1mm styrene but they would be 1/2 inch maybe in 1:1 which would make it 0.5mm in scale. I’m no good with metric to imperial conversions but when working out scale for 1:24 or 1:25 kit it’s safe to say 1 inch scales down to 1mm

If you want to get into scratch building here are the Evergreen sheet thicknesses I keep on hand:

• .010" (.25mm)
  • .015" (.38mm)
  • .020" (.50mm
  • .030" (.76mm)
  • .040" (1.0mm)

The measurement in mm in there scale equivalent in 1:1 (i.e .25mm = .25" in 1/25 scale)

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...