Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ready for BOOT HILL EXPRESS - The DRIFT edition?...

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

Granted, this model answers a question that nobody (but yours truly) ever asked: What would the legendary Boot Hill Express look like if it was "modernized"?

Well, here comes... the Boot Hill Drifter! 

Got rid of the stage coach suspensions and front perch. Threw in the chassis of Buttera's T, with magnificient IFS & IRS, a roll bar, racing seat and harness, a pedal platform for the gas & brake, plus a shifter and radiator. The steering column is linked to a R&P steering. Gummy tires. And lower the whole thing as much as possible. 

Feasible? Be informed that the original showcar was a driver, even got drag raced. So, why not? It currently resides at the Speedway Museum in Nebraska.

I stand ready for requests by the producers of the next Fast & Hilarious for a cameo appearance. Wanna bet?

Seriously, I built the car as a teen, and had to give it a second shot. While sparing the horse buggy undercarriage remnants, and keep the three most significant features: The hearse body, the swoopy exhausts and the looooooong injector stacks. 

Hope you like it. I certainly had fun building it!

CT

DSC01517 (2).JPG

DSC01500 (2).JPG

DSC01501 (2).JPG

DSC01504 (2).JPG

DSC01505 (2).JPG

DSC01512 (2).JPG

DSC01514 (2).JPG

DSC01515 (2).JPG

DSC01516 (2).JPG

DSC01507 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Defiantly looks up to date with the new suspension set up. Was the wood graining on the main carriage part of the kit or something you did? That would be a very strange sensation hanging off the front end and going into a drift. 

7 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Anthony!

I don't know much about drift cars, but a friend who races one told me that it is a hair raising experience... 

CT 

Should have been line locks. Just levered activated breaks 1 for left 1 for right.

15 hours ago, espo said:

Defiantly looks up to date with the new suspension set up. Was the wood graining on the main carriage part of the kit or something you did? That would be a very strange sensation hanging off the front end and going into a drift. 

Hi David!

Thanks for the comments. The only grain pattern that is molded in the kit is the floor platform INSIDE the hearse. All the outside I "woodgrained" with different Tamya acrylic paints, to get the exotic wood patterns. The base color is testor's Inca gold lacquer, as you can tell by the front platform and roll-bar. 

CT

15 hours ago, iBorg said:

The wood and the ornaments (urns?) on top are amazing. This is definitely a different take on this kit.

Hi Mike!

For the life of me, I don't know the EXACT term for those roof "decorations", but I'm certain someone on this forum could help us. My faux wood effect on the main body makes it more "antique", IMHO, than a plain brown finish that is shown on the kit box. 

CT