Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

I think I have a reasonable guess, with evidence. 

The Mission Impossible 68 Coronet convertible!

2131b7143ac9b7bb28b82a13b8fba4e6.jpg.80bd70216b210c1f9ab7f0162634b925.jpg

dodge1ya1_2488.jpg.676f8b9a1ba4ad2de0bdaeb2b2299f8b.jpg

Round 2 is currently working on the Super Bee, which is going to be a convertible. The tooling is gone for the 68 Dodge and would need to be cloned. That includes the M.I. kit, which was actually a 69 model year and incorrect for the TV car. The car was customized for the TV show, so it was not stock.

Here's hoping they make it more like the TV show car this time.

However:

2nd runner up would be Mannix. An obsolete custom that would need to be cloned and with the "Californian" kit just released - the drivetrain is available!

67Toronado03.jpg.cb923425cdb5abcef0da2af910452e7a.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stavanzer said:

And, a last minute thought. I will take a chance and guess that the Ex-MPC Toyota Supra will be molded in Colour. Most likely, the blue is came in. Not Info, just a guess.

It will indeed by molded in blue, not a guess, just Info. 😄

• Like 1

FWIW, so far. I've seen just one guess mentioned in the responses above, that aligns with my thoughts about what this new kit might be.   

As for those Pinto Pro-Stock kits, several times I've discussed with Round 2 personnel that those two Pinto kits were the best and most fully accurate of all the MPC Pro-Stock kits of the 1970's.  My understanding is that there are many tool inserts for the MPC Pinto kits and finding the ones associated with the Pro-Stock versions is thought to be very problematic.  That has placed the Pinto Pro-Stocks well down the Round 2 priority list of reissue possibilities.  Of course, these conversations took place before the "cloning" process had been proven out.  Whether that would change the outlook, I do not know. 

What I have heard from Industry Sources - as I explained in my recent book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits" - is that 1960's era drag racing kits are among the hottest 1/25th scale kit topics (second only to 1960's and 1970's pickup kits) over the last few years in the Domestic (but not International) hobby markets.  Whether that popularity would extend to mid-1970's drag racing topics I do not know, although I would speculate it would in this particular case.  I haven't heard too much on how the 1973/74 Vega Pro-Stock kits have sold, and what I have heard varies in terms of a conclusive verdict.  Even though the Vega Pro-Stocks were nowhere near as good of kits as the Pinto pro-Stocks, perhaps that sales info would provide some further insight on the viability of the Pinto Pro-Stock kits as future reissues.   

Infamous las words...."time will tell".   TB 

Edited by tim boyd

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

No way, Bondo wasn't around then. 2 sticks of lead for that realistic touch! 😅

Speaking of Barris - I then thought of the Hirohata Merc, but that was never a kit.

But it SHOULD be!!

Bondo, as we know it has been around since '55.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:07 AM, Plowboy said:

Not that I build factory stock. But, if it's a kit that can only be built one way, my interest is already almost gone. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong. Fingers crossed.

Agree completely.

As soon as I heard that there was no factory stock option, I was out, regardless of what it is.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Agree completely.

As soon as I heard that there was no factory stock option, I was out, regardless of what it is.

Steve

That's a bit Harsh, without knowing what the kit will be. But, I can be a bit Hard-Nosed myself, so I do understand the reasoning. There are some subjects that might not have a Factory Stock option, but still be highly desirable Between the '68 Vette Custom, the Chevy Ramp Truck, the '64 Olds, the '63 Nova Wagon and trailer, and the this new '68 Coronet. Round2 Has been really hitting Home Runs, so I will be open to what come next.

41 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

That's a bit Harsh, without knowing what the kit will be. But, I can be a bit Hard-Nosed myself, so I do understand the reasoning.

I know what I'll build, and what I won't, so I won't pretend that I'll be excited about something that doesn't interest me.

I know I won't buy it, unless it's something that has enough stock parts that it can be built stock with the addition of parts from other kits, such as chassis and engine, and enough of an interior that it can be kit bashed and scratch built back to stock.

And even then, it would have to be a subject that excites me.

A custom Vette won't cut it for me.

At this point in my modeling career, I have more than enough stuff in my stash that'll just sit there until I decide to get rid of it.

Steve

Not being able to build it stock out of the box still encompasses a pretty broad variety of kits. For example, the Revell ‘49 Mercury woodie wagon fits under this term, despite the fact that every part in the box (excluding the caddy OHV engine and transmission) builds up to depict a stock Mercury. 

Steve, I just re-read the entire thread.  I have to apologize to you. From what you said, this kit has to be a Racer or Custom/Showrod kit. The various  Vans & Sedans that were suggested could be wrestled into stock form somehow, so whatever it is, it should not be one of those. That cuts the guesses down quite a bit, but still leaves a lot of ground to cover. AMT and MPC tooled a respectable number of Race-Only and Custom kits back in the day. It most likely is something that has not been seen in 40 years or more, so that leaves out things like the Barris Rickshaw, and the Tigershark. I'd guess that would leave the MPC Mail Truck, or the Paddy Wagon/Tognotti's T Twins (Yes Folks, they are the same kit from the fenders down), the ZZR/Firebug ( I think the Firebug was the most recent version). Could be the Cosma Ray (an MPC 65 Vette with a custom body) or the Super Teen Firebird(which is so rare as to be Un-obtainium), or the Dick Landy ProStock Challenger.

I'll be very curious to see what kit is finally revealed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Dick Landy Pro Stock Challenger.

How awesome would THAT be! The MPC Challenger (note: the original E-Body, not the LX-Body-based car of recent) hasn't seen the light of day in eons. Its moulds must still exist -- last time it was issued was, when, 1977? Definitely 1974 (annual); not sure what year the Landy P/S kit was issued.

32 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

How awesome would THAT be! The MPC Challenger (note: the original E-Body, not the LX-Body-based car of recent) hasn't seen the light of day in eons. Its moulds must still exist -- last time it was issued was, when, 1977? Definitely 1974 (annual); not sure what year the Landy P/S kit was issued.

Ooohh…we did get this one back recently. And will again soon. The stock MPC Challenger body became the funny car- where all of the stock details got “wiped” off. It was last seen as the Soapy Sales Funny Car, and will be with us again as the Ramchargers FC. 

This makes it less likely that we’ll ever see the MPC Challenger again, but then again, maybe it would be a good candidate for the Round 2 Clone program. 

Round 2 could conceivably redo the ‘72-‘74 Body, changing it with different hoods and bumpers for stock and pro stock versions…develop a simplified but nice looking chassis…and maybe do a ‘71 variant. 

• Thanks 1