Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

"Will be cloned"   so tools were lost or modified.

"Cannot be build stock"

I'd say it could be one of these:   (my money is no longer on the 1968-9 Impala or 1971 Dodge Demon)

MPC Mako-Shark II Corvette    Last issued as the "Custom Corvette" in the late 1980s.  Need a few minor body corrections(?), new wheels and a few parts to get back to original.

MPC Costa-Ray Corvette    Never reissued as far as I know.

AMT Matador AMT/X    Only issued in 1977.  Body and a few parts need to be converted from the NASCAR edition.

MPC 1978 Ford Pinto Pro-Stock BOB GLIDDEN   Never issued, but MPC did the 1978 Pinto stock, and the 1974-76 Pintos pro-stocks.  Or re-do those 74-76 pro-stock Pintos.

MPC Mopar MIssile Duster pro-stock

MPC Motown Missile 'Cuda pro-stock

"AMT" 1971 Maverick/Comet "pro-stock"    They were made from Jo-Han tools.  But very highly improbable. But what IF?   Nawwww........    But......

MPC "The Grand Superfly" 1972 Pontiac Grand-Prix.   Last available around 1975.

I am sure there is other worthy kits besides those. 

My "money" is now on either the custom Corvettes or the Pro-Stocks.

23 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

"Will be cloned"   so tools were lost or modified.

"Cannot be build stock"

I'd say it could be one of these:   (my money is no longer on the 1968-9 Impala or 1971 Dodge Demon)

MPC Mako-Shark II Corvette    Last issued as the "Custom Corvette" in the late 1980s.  Need a few minor body corrections(?), new wheels and a few parts to get back to original.

MPC Costa-Ray Corvette    Never reissued as far as I know.

AMT Matador AMT/X    Only issued in 1977.  Body and a few parts need to be converted from the NASCAR edition.

MPC 1978 Ford Pinto Pro-Stock BOB GLIDDEN   Never issued, but MPC did the 1978 Pinto stock, and the 1974-76 Pintos pro-stocks.  Or re-do those 74-76 pro-stock Pintos.

MPC Mopar MIssile Duster pro-stock

MPC Motown Missile 'Cuda pro-stock

"AMT" 1971 Maverick/Comet "pro-stock"    They were made from Jo-Han tools.  But very highly improbable. But what IF?   Nawwww........    But......

MPC "The Grand Superfly" 1972 Pontiac Grand-Prix.   Last available around 1975.

I am sure there is other worthy kits besides those. 

My "money" is now on either the custom Corvettes or the Pro-Stocks.

I have to say, that if it was the “Super Fly” Grand Prix,  what a huge disappointment that would be!!!!

To bring back that abomination and not the stock ‘72 Grand Prix would be a real kick in the head!

It’s for that reason that I have strong doubts about that possibility.

Steve

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have to say, that if it was the “Super Fly” Grand Prix,  what a huge disappointment that would be!!!!

To bring back that abomination and not the stock ‘72 Grand Prix would be a real kick in the head!

It’s for that reason that I have strong doubts about that possibility.

Steve

WHAT???

Of all those listed, the Superfly is the ONLY one I care about!

If it was that, I would surely "Freak"! That is one of my holy grails; pimptastic from head to toe! 

1 hour ago, Faust said:

WHAT???

If it was that, I would surely "Freak"! That is one of my holy grails; pimptastic from head to toe! 

How did I know this was Adam?  By reading the second sentence!  The third sentence confirmed it!  

Too bad Jo-Han didn't make an Eldorado El Classico model just for you.  They are eyeball popping in person.

eldorado el classico at DuckDuckGo

1 hour ago, Faust said:

WHAT???

Amen, Brother! Preach it!

Yes, Bucky, Sweathogs was the last gasp of the Superfly Tooling, A.F.A.I.K.

Rumored kit isn’t factory stock. Full stop. 
Arguing if you’ll buy or not based on that doesn’t seem topical. R2 brought out Nova, Cutlass and 442, 66 Mustang, new Charger soon. 
Maybe the 71 Charger Daytona kit? 

14 minutes ago, keyser said:

Rumored kit isn’t factory stock. Full stop. 
Arguing if you’ll buy or not based on that doesn’t seem topical. R2 brought out Nova, Cutlass and 442, 66 Mustang, new Charger soon. 
Maybe the 71 Charger Daytona kit? 

I suppose, but then again, there’s not much point to the whole thread.

All just speculation and an opportunity to express our individual wish lists, whatever value there is to that.

Seams to me that the only real value of a thread based entirely on fantasy is that it might elicit  some thoughts and opinions, and my opinion is that any “one trick pony” is quite possibly destined for failure.

I doubt that I’m the only one that doesn’t have any interest in a kit that doesn’t offer any build options.

It might be of some interest to Round-2 to know if their new venture is going to be a bomb or not, so a few opinions might be of some value.

But then again,  what do I know. 😊

I’ll be the first to admit that whenever I see one of the Foose Cadillacs on a contest table or on a forum or group, I don’t even give it a second look, but my assumption is that Revell sold quite a few of them.

Steve

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The stock MPC Challenger body became the funny car- where all of the stock details got “wiped” off. It was last seen as the Soapy Sales Funny Car, and will be with us again as the Ramchargers FC. 

I didn't know that they were, in es, one-in-the-same. Certainly I'm not alone in 'knowing' that a stock 1972-1974 Challenger will  not be released/reissued/cloned, as the 1970-1971 is the one which most desire. 
Someday I'm going to build a replica of the "airport" Challenger from Gone in 60 Seconds! [1974]. 

Thanks for the update on the Challenger tooling.

Edited by 1972coronet
  • Like 1

Aw, Steve.

That is truly an awesome kit, for a "One Version Only Kit".

Bring it on, I sez!

Throw in the Sweathogs figures, (but don't show them on the box art, and add any other extra Pontiac parts that might be hiding on the sprues. It would have to be better than the recent Californian Toronado kit. That didn't even get a set of optional wheels. At least Round2 could throw in a set of those ubiquitous 5 spoke Mags that are in every 5th kit lately.

NO, I'd far prefer the Superfly to the Californian.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Aw, Steve.

That is truly an awesome kit, for a "One Version Only Kit".

Bring it on, I sez!

Throw in the Sweathogs figures, (but don't show them on the box art, and add any other extra Pontiac parts that might be hiding on the sprues. It would have to be better than the recent Californian Toronado kit. That didn't even get a set of optional wheels. At least Round2 could throw in a set of those ubiquitous 5 spoke Mags that are in every 5th kit lately.

NO, I'd far prefer the Superfly to the Californian.

I suppose whatever floats people’s boats, but if this is the kit, I’ll save my money and buy some cool stuff from Fireball Modelworks, M.A.D. and MCW. 😉

Steve

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Is the Superfly the same as the Sweathogs Grand Prix?

Not quite. I had both at different times. I think the main differences were that the Super Fly had a horn on the hood, a stock forward roof, rear window plug, and side pipes (which may have been the same as the custom option pipes in the annual Grand Prix kits). The Sweathogs Dream Machine had a targa top (molded that way, no roof insert or option to fill it in), no side pipes, and I think no rear window plug. Also, it had the figures, which weren’t that great. They looked sort of…human…

Same whitewalls, same wheels (stock GP caps as far as I remember), same front and rear bumpers. Maybe both had stock interiors? 

I have said this before: Round 2 should run some of these off using whatever tool they have, with all of the parts unblocked. No licensing deal, just call it a Neoclassical Custom. I’d be in for a few. I agree that it’s a much better looking custom than many others (I considered buying a Californian- and passed- because that thing is just plain ugly). 

After that, they should fix the front end, and do a stock GP. 

I REALLY wish somebody would do a Stutz Blackhawk, but this is probably as close as we will ever get. 

Edited by CapSat 6

SuPerfly?🤣

Really? U guys are kidding ,right?

Early 70s ghetto coke/smack dealer/pimp film with a great soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield. would probably sell 5 kits.

back on page 1 of this thread Phirewriter posted the 68 Mach One Showcar, that has only been issued twice.

I'm hoping this is the Mystery car , as that would probably sell the most kits for R2. but I'll buy anything (almost) that has not been issued for 40 years.

lost-ford-mustang-concept-cars1.jpg

mach 1 consept.jpg

mach 1 consept 2.jpg

1292571349_amtmach1.jpg.ce262c64ee34c7e487ed5dcc12b78c90.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

SuPerfly?🤣

Really? U guys are kidding ,right?

Early 70s ghetto coke/smack dealer/pimp film with a great soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield. would probably sell 5 kits.

back on page 1 of this thread Phirewriter posted the 68 Mach One Showcar, that has only been issued twice.

I'm hoping this is the Mystery car , as that would probably sell the most kits for R2. but I'll buy anything (almost) that has not been issued for 40 years.

lost-ford-mustang-concept-cars1.jpg

mach 1 consept.jpg

mach 1 consept 2.jpg

1292571349_amtmach1.jpg.ce262c64ee34c7e487ed5dcc12b78c90.jpg

I still wouldn’t buy it, but I can understand why people would.

The pimp mobile on the other hand?.......yeah, no. 😑

Steve

Ok- I certainly get that the Grand Superfly isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. I still would argue that it is culturally significant. The tangent to which it’s features pointed was “neoclassical”, which was pioneered by Virgil Exner in the 60’s. This is a cousin to the older Renwal modern classic kits. 

While Exner’s designs never made production, they foreshadowed the Stutz revival - which had some rather famous and wealthy buyers - like Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley. 

Also, the stock Grand Prix itself, with it’s sculpted hood, faux “freestanding” headlights, and upright grille borrowed this look. For better or worse, most American intermediate cars more or less became part of this design movement - for instance- the first small Chrysler- the Cordoba, which helped keep the company afloat during the 70’s. 

With rising insurance rates and gas prices, it was thought that it was better to be classy and cool than fast- practically overnight. Torinos became Elites, and Chargers became- well, Chargers, but they looked like Cordobas (which looked like Monte Carlos). 

Edited by CapSat 6

In full disclosure, I have to confess that my disdain for this Super Fly “thing” stems from the fact that I own a 1:1 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, and to see it disrespected in this fashion is a bit more than my sensibilities can withstand.

It is a beautiful and unique design, and to see it transformed from an elegant and innovative “muscle car” into this ridiculous caricature makes me more than a little bit nauseous.

No doubt that a bug eyed, grotesque version of a ‘70 Mustang or ‘67 Corvette would likewise rub the lovers of those cars the wrong way as well.

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In full disclosure, I have to confess that my disdain for this Super Fly “thing” stems from the fact that I own a 1:1 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, and to see it disrespected in this fashion is a bit more than my sensibilities can withstand.

It is a beautiful and unique design, and to see it transformed from an elegant and innovative “muscle car” into this ridiculous caricature makes me more than a little bit nauseous.

No doubt that a bug eyed, grotesque version of a ‘70 Mustang or ‘67 Corvette would likewise rub the lovers of those cars the wrong way as well.

Steve

Steve- I can’t disagree with your perspective. The ‘69-‘72 GP’s were beautiful cars. I can see where the neoclassical treatment could be considered tarting up a beautiful design. 

A long time friend of mine has owned a ‘69 GP for nearly 30 years. If I weren’t so into Mopars, these would be the cars I would be in to. 

I would like to see Round 2 restore the  tool to stock, but if they feel that they can make sales and generate cash with running it as they have it first, and then restoring it to stock, then I’m fine with that, too. I wouldn’t mind having a copy or two of what I consider the best looking Pimpmobile, even if it isn’t the best looking GP.

To be honest, I would probably try to knock the rougher edges (no chandelier!) off of my build, and make it look more like a Blackhawk. 

And unfortunately, I think the GP tool was simply a victim in all of this. MPC wanted to come up with a product that would cash in on the trend. In the Super Fly movie, it looks like the actual car was a Cadillac Eldorado, but MPC only had the GP tool, which they saw as the closest thing. 

For what it’s worth, I think the GP Grand Super Fly looks a lot nicer than the Eldo Super Fly.