Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

Yeah Tim K with the "Streaker Vette " coming back, didn't the MPC Cosma Ray use those underpinnings? Only have to tool the non-stock body, interior, wheels then and copy  the engine and chassis.  I think it is the "Mission Impossible' Coronet convertible though

20 hours ago, PintoKING said:

"AMT" 1971 Maverick/Comet "pro-stock"    They were made from Jo-Han tools.  But very highly improbable. But what IF?   Nawwww........    But......

MPC "The Grand Superfly" 1972 Pontiac Grand-Prix.   Last available around 1975.

Holdup! Now if they were talking about cloning Johan tools, that would open up a whole new world of possibilities. But I can't help but wonder if that would involve copyright infringement. 

I would only want to see the Super Fly if it was a straight reissue, retooling this GP into anything but stock (or at least a 3n1) would be limited at best.

Personally, I think the tool for this and the S&C Mustang may exist. Unless outright scrapped, they have never been modified into anything else. 

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In full disclosure, I have to confess that my disdain for this Super Fly “thing” stems from the fact that I own a 1:1 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, and to see it disrespected in this fashion is a bit more than my sensibilities can withstand.

It is a beautiful and unique design, and to see it transformed from an elegant and innovative “muscle car” into this ridiculous caricature makes me more than a little bit nauseous.

No doubt that a bug eyed, grotesque version of a ‘70 Mustang or ‘67 Corvette would likewise rub the lovers of those cars the wrong way as well.

Steve

Did you build a model of it? That's one replica I'd like to see. 

47 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Did you build a model of it? That's one replica I'd like to see. 

I have one, but have yet to build it. 

When I do it, it’s going to require a considerable amount of work.

I will of course be doing a full detail build with a chassis swap and a fully detailed engine bay, not to mention changes to the interior and badging to depict a J-Model instead of an SJ.

Thar will require a new seat upholstery pattern.

I need to do some checking, as I believe that the J-Model ‘69 GP shared it’s seats with some of the other GM cars from that era.

Maybe the ‘69/‘70 GTO or Chevelle?

I don’t know for sure.

Model-J 

5C7B0D5D-4D8A-4247-9022-304537B5D9C4.jpeg.0925b8f36758f6de2cfec5e1be71524d.jpeg

Model-SJ

CC54BB46-DFEA-4491-9D22-8C5DE270FC33.jpeg.b59f92b765672f39fff3d2d2ce0603f4.jpeg

Steve

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have one, but have yet to build it. 

When I do it, it’s going to require a considerable amount of work.

I will of course be doing a full detail build with a chassis swap and a fully detailed engine bay, not to mention changes to the interior and badging to depict a J-Model instead of an SJ.

Thar will require a new seat upholstery pattern.

I need to do some checking, as I believe that the J-Model ‘69 GP shared it’s seats with some of the other GM cars from that era.

Maybe the ‘69/‘70 GTO or Chevelle?

I don’t know for sure.

Model-J 

5C7B0D5D-4D8A-4247-9022-304537B5D9C4.jpeg.0925b8f36758f6de2cfec5e1be71524d.jpeg

Model-SJ

CC54BB46-DFEA-4491-9D22-8C5DE270FC33.jpeg.b59f92b765672f39fff3d2d2ce0603f4.jpeg

Steve

Or 67-70.5 Firebird seats.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

How about a second thread elsewhere so this can remain a rumours thread, not planning Steve’s GP build thread. I love 69GPs. Not for this thread, please

Oh geez, lighten up.

It’s Patrick’s thread.

I think he’s perfectly capable of policing it all by himself.

Or you can start “your” own thread and moderate it however you see fit.

Steve

Someone stated  the possibility of the Mission Impossible Coronet being he subject being announced.  Would the 68 Coronet convertible kit have the correct parts to do the MIP Coronet.  

At least the 68 body would be correct .

George P.

Looking at the M.I. Kit instructions, it is the '69 Cornet Convertible with a T-bird style 2 seat tonneau cover and scoops. Otherwise it looks like the '68 Kit in many ways. Same trailer hitch, ect. The is a different (custom?) grille and some roll bars, but not much in the way of other options that I can see.

It looks (to me anyways) like MPC tooled up a scant few pieces and added the them to the '69 Cornet kit, without regard for what the TV Car looked like. The Tonneau cover is the biggest visual change, followed by a hood scoop and two side scoops.

So, I'd think that if the parts still exist, an. M. I. Car might be easy to make. If the Tonneau and scoops do not exist any more, it might not be worth it to clone them. Getting Licenses might be the biggest sticking point now to selling with the M.I. branding. 

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/tv--movie/mpc-1969-coronet-co/?view=roll#1

Edited by stavanzer

And speaking of rumors, can we get this Tow Truck back, please? (Without the Cooter Markings)

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/tv--movie/mpc-cooters-tow-truck/

Or even better, this 1970 Version with the Full Fire Truck parts and the Fire/NHRA/ & U.S. Navy decals?

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1961-1970/mpc-1970-chevy-pickup/?view=roll#1

51 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Getting Licenses might be the biggest sticking point now to selling with the M.I. branding. 

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/tv--movie/mpc-1969-coronet-co/?view=roll#1

Maybe they can get Tom Cruise' picture on the fender and call it good!

Wouldn't be any less accurate than the original. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27