Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

I was browsing through an old ScaleAuto magazine, and there was a short review of AMT's 1968 Impala, WHICH CANNOT BE BUILT STOCK.....

And I also remember a discussion here on this forum about the favorite years for a reissue of an Impala......

So my guess is now the AMT 1968 Impala. 

🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PintoKING said:

I was browsing through an old ScaleAuto magazine, and there was a short review of AMT's 1968 Impala, WHICH CANNOT BE BUILT STOCK.....

And I also remember a discussion here on this forum about the favorite years for a reissue of an Impala......

🙂

Wow....here is some fresh thinking!  

The article referenced here is probably the "Classic kits" column in Scale Auto, which included a column on this AMT kit....

Personally, I don't think this is likely to be the 2022 "surprise" Round 2 is planning, but what a cool idea for Round 2's list of future "cloning" kit project candidates.....TIM 

Not stock- Stock car Daytona? #71 Isaac car. 
Or J-Car/Mk.4 since turned into the whatever. 
Another non stock car could be the DB-5 007, since it’s been in a ton of movies since original release, isn’t stock, and fits licensing. 
🤔🤑

1 minute ago, Luc Janssens said:

But wasn't that Airfix or Aurora?

About stock car, maybe a mopar Petty car? dunno...

Both.

Airfix sold in US under Craftmaster, which was Canadian importer for MPC, it seems. The non-Bond branded Toyota 2000 roadster was MPC released as was DB6. 
Hasn’t been seen since. Really nice model. 

Aurora was half-hearted effort to make DB5 out of 4. Adequate at best. Have both unbuilt,  as well as Doyusha 1/24 007 and DB5. 

So here’s hope. Tim B said “freak some out”. 
@Steve G has been doing nice job with the R2 crews. 

Ooo, an Airfix 007 Aston Martin. Now that's a great idea!

Fits the criteria:

Original tooling lost. Needs to be completely cloned.

Can't be built stock.

MPC and Airfix used the same tooling.

R2 has the Bond license. Fits in with current line up.

Also ties in with the Black Beauty.

Very popular collector following. 

Would get builders excited! (Except Steve)😘

airfix-24-james-bond-007-aston-martin_1_4d116cb869084d9167b54e4ba45d9cf7.jpg.c9fa90dd261430d4d92fc35497f63ab9.jpg

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Wow....here is some fresh thinking!  

The article referenced here is probably the "Classic kits" column in Scale Auto, which included a column on this AMT kit....

Personally, I don't think this is likely to be the 2022 "surprise" Round 2 is planning, but what a cool idea for Round 2's list of future "cloning" kit project candidates.....TIM 

The issue I am referring is  Scale Auto,  April 2016, page 59.

5 hours ago, PintoKING said:

🙂

Wow, I hope not. That thing looks nothing like a 68 Impala, fans would be out for blood if that one came back! I don't think there is a high enough demand for that one.

It was basically a customized 67 Impala. Which they could easily do with the 67 tooling they already have.

9 hours ago, keyser said:

Aurora was half-hearted effort to make DB5 out of 4. Adequate at best. Have both unbuilt,  as well as Doyusha 1/24 007 and DB5. 

@Steve G has been doing nice job with the R2 crews. 

The Supre Spy Car is unrelated tool from DB4. I am both Aston Martin and James Bond fan and collect them all, they are not even the same size and share no parts other than the tyres. Wheels similar with modifications for tyre slasher but not same.

Edited by Michael Bentt

Guess I disagree, looking at both Auroras now. DB5 front end is mess around the lights, obvs distortion of DB4 fender, I didn’t say shared parts. Weak retool imo. The Aurora/Monogram DB4 survives, DB5 does not. 
Doyusha seems to have cloned a bit from the Aurora as well. Picked wrong one to clone. 

If R2 clones the Airfix, please look at better way to do rear valance under trunk. Tends to come apart when chassis put in. Pretty nice model otherwise, maybe more refined HL assemblies. 

17 hours ago, PintoKING said:

🙂

That would be a nice surprise!

23 hours ago, PintoKING said:

I was browsing through an old ScaleAuto magazine, and there was a short review of AMT's 1968 Impala, WHICH CANNOT BE BUILT STOCK.....So my guess is now the AMT 1968 Impala. 

🙂

6 hours ago, slusher said:

That would be a nice surprise!

No, it would be an awful surprise.  See Patrick's comments:

17 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Wow, I hope not. That thing looks nothing like a 68 Impala, fans would be out for blood if that one came back! I don't think there is a high enough demand for that one.

It was basically a customized 67 Impala. Which they could easily do with the 67 tooling they already have.

The point is moot, I'm 100% certain Round 2 would not recreate that butchered mess.

I and many others would love to see the 1968 and 1969 MPC Impalas come back, but those could be built stock, so they obviously aren't the "mystery" kit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

I and many others would love to see the 1968 and 1969 MPC Impalas come back, but those could be built stock, so they obviously aren't the "mystery" kit.

Agreed!  Both of these would be enthusiastically purchased by everyone from stock, custom, drag builders right through Low Rider fans!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Agreed!  Both of these would be enthusiastically purchased by everyone from stock, custom, drag builders right through Low Rider fans!

Well, not exactly everyone ,, I got mine already. 

8 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

The point is moot, I'm 100% certain Round 2 would not recreate that butchered mess.

I'd take one. That's exactly the kind of butchered messes I like to build Robert.  But, I also doubt that's the kit being reissued. 

I'd certainly like to have a set of the parts for the custom front and rear end to adapt to one of the newer '67s though. 

Airfix did coupe 2000 too. The roadster has radio console behind seats where boot would be if it had top. Only 2000 chassis engine combo for decades. Neither seen since 68-69 ish. Never had any non-Airfix coupe boxing 

On 6/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

lost-ford-mustang-concept-cars1.jpg

1292571349_amtmach1.jpg.ce262c64ee34c7e487ed5dcc12b78c90.jpg

I think this is a solid guess. And to help a business case they could get a Parts Pack out of the deal if they did those beautiful gold line Firestones 

Another reason this is a solid possibility is that I just scored two of these recently after years of hunting, so of course they would rerelease it now.

• Like 2

From Wikipedia: 

The 2000GT made its most famous screen appearance in the 1967 James Bond movie You Only Live Twice, most of which was filmed in Japan. Two one-off topless models—fitted only with tonneau covers to simulate functioning convertible roofs—were made specially for the film. It is claimed that a targa had been considered to accommodate the burly 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in) tall Sean Connery. This retained the original car's fastback profile but eliminated rear side windows. Purportedly, Connery's head stuck out of the top and a roofless version was fabricated in less than two weeks for the movie.[17] The car was only driven by "Bond girl" Aki (Akiko Wakabayashi) in the film.[18]

I think the coupe has more character:

image.png.5ec4ebc5332c7b3b3cddd39706c3b898.pngimage.png.21054db7e52c76a9938bfce9260312a3.png

Edited by Motor City

On 6/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, Robberbaron said:

While I do not disagree that a comeback of factory stock 1968 and 1969 Impalas would be highly welcomed, I still maintain that AMT's "for 1968" Impala custom-only kit is a very interesting and noteworthy kit in its own right.  Go back and read the aforementioned Scale Auto "Classic Kits" column for my rationale in making that statement.  I for one would buy, and yes build, that kit if it ever saw a reissue.    TB 

• Like 1