Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Go back and read the aforementioned Scale Auto "Classic Kits" column for my rationale in making that statement.  I for one would buy, and yes build, that kit if it ever saw a reissue.    TB 

Here's a pic of the contents for those who may be unfamiliar with the "for 68" Impala.

This kit is pretty cool If you're into old-school customs.  I would gladly buy a couple more.

zzzzzz.JPG

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

Here's a pic of the contents for those who may be unfamiliar with the "for 68" Impala.

This kit is pretty cool If you're into old-school customs.  I would gladly buy a couple more.

zzzzzz.JPG

This looks pretty neat; loving that grille. Slam it, add a back window, tweak things here and there, and it would be a badass custom.

Reading this thread and the talk of the custom AMT '68 Impala had me Googling and lo and behold here (again) is the best example of this kit I've ever seen built and I would definitely build one if it were to be reissued. Sometimes you just need to be inspired by seeing what a talented modeler can do with an off-the-wall kit.

Irv Arter's Custom AMT '68 Impala

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Reading this thread and the talk of the custom AMT '68 Impala had me Googling and lo and behold here (again) is the best example of this kit I've ever seen built and I would definitely build one if it were to be reissued. Sometimes you just need to be inspired by seeing what a talented modeler can do with an off-the-wall kit.

Irv Arter's Custom AMT '68 Impala

Irv is a great builder ,, and a super nice guy too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pack rat said:

zzzzzz.JPG

Thanx for the photo Mike! Any way to get a closeup of the center chrome tree? I'm very interested in the wheels. I can make out the chrome reverse wheels. But, can't make out the other set.

14 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx for the photo Mike! Any way to get a closeup of the center chrome tree? I'm very interested in the wheels. I can make out the chrome reverse wheels. But, can't make out the other set.

Here's a pic of the three wheel choices.  The 5-spokes are really nice.

zzzz68 imp 004.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The " snowflakes" are also nice, did they end up in the '90s reworked second gen 70 Camaro?

They were in the "countdown" issue of the '66 Mustang but I do believe they were the leftovers from the last incarnation of the Autolight Special, not necessarily the exact wheels but look exactly the same on the outside. 

There were a similar set in the reworked '70 'Z-28, yes. They were also in the AHC-100 T-top Camaro that was the last issue of the AMT 2ng gen Camaro before the '70 rework.

They were missing the lug nuts though.

They were supposed to be Ansen Cross Wire, Appliance Wiremag or one of the other 1/2 dozen copies of that wheel made by different companies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The " snowflakes" are also nice, did they end up in the '90s reworked second gen 70 Camaro?

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

They were supposed to be Ansen Cross Wire, Appliance Wiremag or one of the other 1/2 dozen copies of that wheel made by different companies.

Earliest version I've seen was made by Rader in 1965.  As Steve mentioned, several different manufacturers offered similar wheels.  There are differences in the lace spoke design between some of the different manufacturers.

The ones in the '68 Impala seem to most closely resemble the Raders, which makes sense for the era.  Some of the copycat designs didn't come out till later.

001-3.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Earliest version I've seen was made by Rader in 1965.  As Steve mentioned, several different manufacturers offered similar wheels.  There are differences in the lace spoke design between some of the different manufacturers.

The ones in the '68 Impala seem to most closely resemble the Raders, which makes sense for the era.  Some of the copycat designs didn't come out till later.

001-3.jpg

Had a set of those simulated wire wheels on my 240Z but they were by Appliance Wheels. 

240z (2).jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Two more possibilities that could be announced.  

Comet 67 customizing kit - Copy.jpg

Shelby drag team kit - Copy.jpg

Can they be built stock?

If they can, then the are NOT the kit that has been teased.

Prime requirement of the new kit, is that it CANNOT be built stock.

12 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Can they be built stock?

The Cyclone has custom and racing parts.   The Shelby team built as the racing version.

19 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Can they be built stock?

While speculation is fun, one is a 2-kit box of models that both have stock versions in the box (and have post 1990-reissues for the Shelby kit) and the other is a 1990s era Ertl kit that builds stock. The original annual shown turned into one of those short-chassis cars they have reissued many times. I can not see either of these being the mentioned kit at all, though the 1969 Galaxie would be a welcome reissue especially if they tooled it up with the GT trim wheels and stripes. I am aware you need to remove molded-in trim but we are modelers, correct?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Perhaps the Monkeemobile ? It'd be nice to see it with the Dean Jeffries emblems restored, and any mention of Bondo Barris removed entirely.

Doesn't need to be cloned, they still have the tool.

I agree, it would be an easy fix to correct the emblems (if they can get permission) and wheels/tires to the original issue. Probably can never go back to the original box with the band on it - royalties can be a pain!