Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

22 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Doesn't need to be cloned, they still have the tool.

I agree, it would be an easy fix to correct the emblems (if they can get permission) and wheels/tires to the original issue. Probably can never go back to the original box with the band on it - royalties can be a pain!

Already added to the list for late this year, MPC996M Monkee Mobile GTO with the original style box art so the band is on it.  Expanded decal sheet and last I heard the tires will be big and little Goodyear Blue Streaks.  Sorry no restored D.J. badges this time.   

Not the secret clone project obviously but someone did guess it correctly. 

-Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know a Kit I would like to see return.

The '69 Galaxie. It has been out Recently (200??) and would make a great Kit to have again.

Also, how about any of the other '32 Ford Kits. The Coupe, & Phaeton would both be very nice to have back.

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Doesn't need to be cloned, they still have the tool.

I agree, it would be an easy fix to correct the emblems (if they can get permission) and wheels/tires to the original issue. Probably can never go back to the original box with the band on it - royalties can be a pain!

A set of deeper Cragars for the rear, plus Round2's famous pad printed tyres (heck, include the Blue Streak slicks, too!) with the thin blue line and thin Good Year logo.

I'm not sure just how Dolenz (the only surviving member) and/or whoever owns the rights would be with giving the go-ahead with all of the livery, etc. And, who knows about Jeffries's heirs feelings on having Dean's namesake restored for his brainchild? 

** EDIT ** I just read @SteveG's reply.

Edited by 1972coronet

32 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Apparently, what Connery drove through most of Goldfinger was a late model DB4.

Nope. DB4 has open headlights. DB5 covered. Here’s epic scene at GF golf club from movie. 

F0874E0E-2343-4429-8F23-2FFDB5F977EF.jpeg

15 minutes ago, keyser said:

Nope. DB4 has open headlights. DB5 covered. Here’s epic scene at GF golf club from movie. 

F0874E0E-2343-4429-8F23-2FFDB5F977EF.jpeg

The late model DB4 Series V Vantage has covered headlights, and looks just like a DB5,  which is why they used it when they didn't have a production DB5 ready for the film.

1-4-1450x702.jpg

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Both  but I’d forgotten the stunt car  🤦🏻‍♂️
Later movies just DB5’s  

https://www.fatherly.com/play/james-bond-aston-martin-db5-which-movies/amp

Stunt car, built in 62, S5V proto  

Fun comments about telling license plates apart  

https://www.britain-magazine.com/news/abarn-finda-james-bond-car-for-sale/#:~:text=A recently-discovered Aston Martin,Goldfinger%2C is up for auction.

Edited by keyser

Steve's silence is deafening!

I sure hope I'm right (I'm 92% sure I am). I've wanted to build one of the original Super Spy cars ever since I first heard they existed, but there was no way I could ever afford one.

This would fulfill a major "grail" for me, and many others - no doubt! Bonus is I wouldn't have to try to convert one from a DB4 I already have.

Since they've already recreated the International 4070A, a smaller kit like this would be a cakewalk to do.

Please Steve, tell us what it is, the suspense is killing me!

rubbing-hands.gif.bf480e3386d25128cc14ede95e839a41.gif

• Haha 1

I really never intended on saying yes or no while guesses are listed.  However, we've already had our big Move and TV themed announcement of the Black Beauty by Jamie who typically leads all the Sci-Fi and TV and Movie model projects.   I did say this was John G's project.  

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Rumors are rumors, not ready to announce, Thanks Steve and John. 👍🏼

Not movie car, that was Black Beauty 👍🏼😃 
Not stock

Cloned kit. Mentioned in this thread
Not Kotters/Super Fly, no earthly reason to clone it, and not GP 😢as not stock 

Tim B said some of us will “freak”

In old Casey thread, but he’s busy with life  

Leaves:

Mach I showcar; perhaps, but chassis exists, under new 66. Wide interest. 
Mako Shark; exists? Maybe new chassis for C2-C3’s, but RM covers those well. Wide interest. 
Pro-stocks/NASCAR; Re-did Vega. Cuda, Pinto, Mustang II, Challenger all in same PS series, nobody else does anything like them. 
Wide interest amongst “us”, but less popular overall I’d guess. Motown Missile would make me grin. 

I’ve missed some, despite wading back thru thread. These seem worth investment, doesn’t seem RM nor Salvinos in play, which helps profits. 
So, can we come up with good idea based on thread, understanding @Steve G can’t really spill, and all this TL:DR ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Vega. Cuda, Pinto, Mustang II, Challenger all in same PS series, nobody else does anything like them. 
Wide interest amongst “us”, but less popular overall I’d guess. Motown Missile would make me grin. 

The Motown Missile in either 1972 Barracuda or 1973 [?] Duster guise would be fantastic. I would be shocked to see the Challenger (especially since I recently dropped a long-note on a 1974 annual).

The c.1978 Mustang II was issued during the Racing Chumps era, IIRC. Even that's been years ago already... The Pinto iteration (backdated, Gapp & Rousch livery would be boss!) could easily share its chassis, etc., with the Mustang II - just like the 1:1.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

...back on page 1 of this thread Phirewriter posted the 68 Mach One Showcar, that has only been issued twice.

I'm hoping this is the Mystery car , as that would probably sell the most kits for R2. but I'll buy anything (almost) that has not been issued for 40 years.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:40 AM, Mark said:

...chassis and engine will be reissued in the coming stock '66 fastback.

image.png.0af0a50ae42cf8b0ffcccd8b7f31634a.png

Anyone else notice what this subject 👆 and the Green Hornet Black Beauty 👇 have in common?

image.png.aa7e9a4a0382978e8711af5c7004ec93.png

image.png.0860eb03f5608f52b0ec29993245e294.png

So looks like they will already be creating a set of Appliance Apaches for the GH BB.

And they already will have the chassis/engine they need from the '66 Mustang.

So add those to a retooled body and interior and you should be there.  Betcha it's the Mach 1.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Stef said:

I remember seeing here ages ago that the Dodge Deora drag convertible kit was coming back out, and realized just now that it never materialized.

The Deora drag convertible kit, is basically the regular Deora kit with instructions to cut the roof off. And wasn’t that just released, with the last R2 reissued of the Deora, a year or two ago?

The drag version Deora was a DIY project in a box.  Besides lopping off the roof, you had to whack away the molded-in engine cover in the bed, to fit the AMT Hot Rod Shop (parts pack) 392 Hemi.  The Alexander's Dragtime version included that pack (unplated) along with the drag strip accessories pack which included a TV camera.

Don Emmons was a consultant to AMT back then, he is alleged to have designed some (or all) of the Deora variant kits because the original didn't sell as well as planned.  I heard that Mike Alexander hated those other variation kits, the drag version being at the top of the list.

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The Deora drag convertible kit, is basically the regular Deora kit with instructions to cut the roof off. And wasn’t that just released, with the last R2 reissued of the Deora, a year or two ago?

Hello, @unclescott58, I didn't realize AMT had not created a separate convertible body for that release, thank you. I suppose either regular or convertible versions may have been released in the last couple years and I just missed 'em, though I don't recall HPI Guy or Round 2 featuring Deoras in any of their recentish videos.

I do have a gluebomb Deora I plan to build as a dual-Hemi dragster, and would be interested in getting a second kit, thanks!

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The drag version Deora was a DIY project in a box.  Besides lopping off the roof, you had to whack away the molded-in engine cover in the bed, to fit the AMT Hot Rod Shop (parts pack) 392 Hemi.  The Alexander's Dragtime version included that pack (unplated) along with the drag strip accessories pack which included a TV camera.

Don Emmons was a consultant to AMT back then, he is alleged to have designed some (or all) of the Deora variant kits because the original didn't sell as well as planned.  I heard that Mike Alexander hated those other variation kits, the drag version being at the top of the list.

Thank you for your awesome info, @Mark. I have two gorgeous Hemis from two Revell 32 Ford 5-window coupes, and a sad gluebomb Deora. Time to start hacking.

Round 2 has reissued the Deora only once, with original style box art.  The reissue includes the clear bed cover that had not been in the kit since the early Seventies, but does not have the 13" wheels that the first couple of issues had.

The Deora is a rather limiting kit. While it is a tremendous custom, beyond making a replica of a mid 60's custom that became a Hot Wheels car, there's only a few interesting things you can do with it besides a stock build. You can do a mash up with a Little Red Wagon and get this: 

or you can steal parts from it, mainly the engine. Not a good choice to invest tooling dollars on. Plus it has been reissued in the not too distant past.

• Like 1