Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Because i'm a glutton for punishment, or simply because this thread has gone off track so many times I'll make one more attempt to get it focused.

Seeing how this thread is on it's fifteenth page now, it's bound to go off track here and there. It's not a big deal. It's nothing but page after page of guesses. And now it's guesses about the guesses! More than likely, when this "mystery" kit is announced, there's going to be a lot of people disappointed.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Seeing how this thread is on it's fifteenth page now, it's bound to go off track here and there. It's not a big deal. It's nothing but page after page of guesses. And now it's guesses about the guesses! More than likely, when this "mystery" kit is announced, there's going to be a lot of people disappointed.  

This sounds exactly like Christmas in days of old. 🤔

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Nothing on that list "floats my boat", but I don't care. As long as whatever it is floats enough other boats to be profitable it's OK and they will continue to issue additional "boat floaters" until they get to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Because i'm a glutton for punishment, or simply because this thread has gone off track so many times I'll make one more attempt to get it focused.

Here are the original parameters for this post, Round2 said they were working on this:

Clone of old tooling

Can't be built stock

Then Steve chimed in with this...

So, here is the list of ALL the guesses that fit the set criteria, prior to Steve's statement on Page 10. Let the speculation commence on which one of these it is...

THESE ARE THE ONLY CHOICES SINCE STEVE SAID IT'S ONE OF THESE

image.png.678d7b04e6a3fe17cab59b359be7a8f8.png

Mr. Metallic, you had the EXACT SAME idea as I had for this post.  :)

From that list, in my humble opinion, there are a few kits that make more "sense" than the others, for a reissue;

My "money" is on one of those, but we will see!  :)

MPC Charger III

MPC Cosma-Ray  (never reissued as far as I know)

MPC Mako-Shark II  (last available as the "Custom Corvette" around 1984, with some modifications)

MPC 78 Pinto Pro-Stock (or make it a 74-76; different front-end)

MPC Challenger Pro-Stock

AMT (JoHan) 71 Maverick-Comet Pro-Stock (that one; highly unlikely, but would be oh-so-sweet!!!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yeah, like when you rip open your present and it's a pack of underwear. 😕 

Or when I was hoping that that big wrapped box was Gigantic Frankenstein but it turned out to be a pair of skates.   😙

9 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I would have to agree with you on this one I hard sometime ago this was making a come back !

zx.jpg

I do hope it's the Streaker. As much as I want both the convertible and 442 hardtop, this altered wheelbase drag car is the one I really have my heart set on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Mr. Metallic, you had the EXACT SAME idea as I had for this post.  :)

From that list, in my humble opinion, there are a few kits that make more "sense" than the others, for a reissue;

My "money" is on one of those, but we will see!  :)

MPC Charger III

MPC Cosma-Ray  (never reissued as far as I know)

MPC Mako-Shark II  (last available as the "Custom Corvette" around 1984, with some modifications)

MPC 78 Pinto Pro-Stock (or make it a 74-76; different front-end)

MPC Challenger Pro-Stock

AMT (JoHan) 71 Maverick-Comet Pro-Stock (that one; highly unlikely, but would be oh-so-sweet!!!)

Although having the Airfix boxing, the Mako-Shark would be nice to have, the Charger III reminds me of a King size Matchbox I had as a kid.

1 hour ago, Stef said:

I do hope it's the Streaker. As much as I want both the convertible and 442 hardtop, this altered wheelbase drag car is the one I really have my heart set on.

Without being able to see the Streaker instructions, I'd guess that everything except the chassis, has been found. So, this might be a pretty safe guess.

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Without being able to see the Streaker instructions, I'd guess that everything except the chassis, has been found. So, this might be a pretty safe guess.

Totally agree, @stavanzer; just rescanned HPI Guy's convertible and 442s parts overviews, and seems like between the two of them, most of the Streaker's parts are already covered. Looks like the convertible has the tonneau/chopped windscreen, the 442 has the rear spoiler, and both have the bulged hood for the twin Judsons.

I do remember quite awhile back someone mentioned the possibility of bringing the Streaker back to life, and with all the talk about the Moebius 65 Novas and MPC 68 Coronets, I'd totally forgotten.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, Little Timmy said:

All I got was a Palmer Mustang .... at least I " think"  it's a Mustang ... 

I too got Palmer kits for Christmas. Mainly given to me by elderly female relatives who knew nothing about model cars, other than I like to build them. And you could get two Palmer kits for the price of one AMT or MPC. And what kid wouldn’t be more happy with two model car kits, vs one? Argh! They were well meaning old bats. And I built the kits, as ugly as those kits may be. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Pinto Pro Stock...🤞

Always thought this was a no-brainer, put a set of Glidden-Allen decals in it and watch it sell. Then put the original Dyno Don and Gapp and Roush in the re-issues.

8 hours ago, oldscool said:

X2

X3....but not to be this time around. 

As I pointed out in my Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits book a couple of years ago, the two MPC Pinto Pro-Stocks were by a good measure the most accurate of all the MPC Pro-Stock kits.  Plus, they simply looked killer (both in 1/1 and 1/25th). 

I've voiced my view in this with the Round 2 team.  As I understand it, a lot depends on whether they could even find the inserts, as this tool saw many different forms over its past commercial life.     

Bottom line:  don't hold your breath, unlikely we'll be seeing this one any time soon, if even at all.  But Round 2 has surprised us before (*e.g. - 1968 Coronet R/T convert, et al).

TB 

Given the info we have in front of us, the fact that the subject has supposedly been mentioned and we will "freak out" (perhaps a reference to a street freak or awb type kit) I would say it is "the Streaker" AWB Olds kit. This makes sense given the fact that the majority of parts are already available with the reissue of the 442 and convertible '64 kits.  My second guess would be the '65 Chevelle AWB, which would be super awesome. Either one would be great in my book, but I would really love to have the Chevelle again. I foolishly sold mine in the early days of ebay and they are very pricey now.

13 hours ago, larman said:

Given the info we have in front of us, the fact that the subject has supposedly been mentioned and we will "freak out" (perhaps a reference to a street freak or awb type kit) I would say it is "the Streaker" AWB Olds kit. This makes sense given the fact that the majority of parts are already available with the reissue of the 442 and convertible '64 kits.  My second guess would be the '65 Chevelle AWB, which would be super awesome. Either one would be great in my book, but I would really love to have the Chevelle again. I foolishly sold mine in the early days of ebay and they are very pricey now.

But, wouldn't that require all of the molds? The body, chassis, interior etc.? Not much from the stock Olds would transfer over to the AWB would it? I wonder how well the Olds kits sold? I've only seen three of them built.

17 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

But, wouldn't that require all of the molds? The body, chassis, interior etc.? Not much from the stock Olds would transfer over to the AWB would it? I wonder how well the Olds kits sold? I've only seen three of them built.

Buying and building are two different hobbies, haha…

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I don't know, but the other part I forgot about is "cloned". Maybe that is how those parts are being added. FWIW, There is an awb chassis in the Tempest, Nova, Mustang, Falcon and Cyclone, which are all recent reissues.

Edited by larman

2 hours ago, larman said:

I don't know, but the other part I forgot about is "cloned". Maybe that is how those parts are being added. FWIW, There is an awb chassis in the Tempest, Nova, Mustang and Cyclone, which are all recent reissues.

Was thinking the same thing, @larman. From rewatching HPI Guy's Falcon and Nova AWB build videos, they appear to use very similar chassis setups, plastic tires and all. I wonder if that same AWB chassis was used under the original Streaker kit.