Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

On 8/8/2022 at 7:39 PM, Stef said:

Wow, you guys are legends! I learn so much from you cats, every single day. Just found this 58 Edsel AWB instruction sheet on Worthpoint.

Looks like the Olds Streaker is fait accompli. Well done, gentlemen.

s.jpg

q.jpg

20 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Well here is a built up of one.  Maybe this will be the big announcement?

Unreal Edsel 2.jpg

51 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

...but an outhouse door bolted to the front is OK.... 👍🤩

58-edsel-25-amt-vintage-funny-car_1_aecc97e17d3cde0a7deb1ce8c72e9e5f.jpg

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. It’s just totally wrong in so many ways. But, that’s what makes it right. The outhouse door for the front bumper. The strange decals. The wheelbase that does not fit. The missing stock chrome. Who would want one? Me for some odd reason? I real doubt this our mystery car. “The Rumor Mill” kit. But, I wish it was. In my opinion it’s better than many of the other choices I’ve seen listed here. 

1 minute ago, unclescott58 said:

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. It’s just totally wrong in so many ways. But, that’s what makes it right. The outhouse door for the front bumper. The strange decals. The wheelbase that does not fit. The missing stock chrome. Who would want one? Me for some odd reason? I real doubt this our mystery car. “The Rumor Mill” kit. But, I wish it was. In my opinion it’s better than many of the other choices I’ve seen listed here. 

"Yugo Edsel... What are you gonna do?" [Old Midas commercial]

It's funny how at the time of this kit release (1967), the '58 Edsel was merely a 9 year old car. Shows you what a cultural joke the make was.

(In my eyes, a '58 Edsel was no better or worse than a '58 Ford or '58 Mercury.)

2 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

"Yugo Edsel... What are you gonna do?" [Old Midas commercial]

It's funny how at the time of this kit release (1967), the '58 Edsel was merely a 9 year old car. Shows you what a cultural joke the make was.

(In my eyes, a '58 Edsel was no better or worse than a '58 Ford or '58 Mercury.)

It is fascinating how quickly car styling changed back then...in 1967 a 1958 car must have looked ancient.  While today a 9 yr old car often looks very similar to a current car. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:06 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

I'd take it if they found the original '58 body.

From what I recall reading back in the day, the original Edsel body tool (inc. the fender skirts, but nothing else) was still in the ERTL tooling bank before they started tooling the full-detail kit. I think this information came from an old issue of The ERTL Blueprinter, but I can't remember the exact source. 

Good to know. I've got an original issue builtup that would benefit from a clean body; the funny car kit had the chassis screw posts and interior locator pegs removed, but was otherwise untouched. I'd grab two - one to fix the builtup, and one to correct the issues with the newer kit.

P.S. Childhood memory: I had seen a comic strip where a wife whispers in her sleeping husband's ear, "I must buy my wife that new fur coat... I must buy my wife that new fur coat..." It worked in the comic strip, as I recall. So I walked into my parents' bedroom early one morning and whispered in my dad's ear "I must buy Chris that Funny Car Edsel... I must buy Chris that Funny Car Edsel..."

Dad was not amused.

I did eventually get the kit, though tango_face_grin.png.eb2073d48b6654075a21db5de29c7bcd.png

Edited by ChrisBcritter
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Scratch built one from a stock AMT '58 Edsel kit. Made my own fender skirts and used the chassis, engine and tin from the AMT awb Dyno Don Comet funny car. Looks more like a real funny car than the "Unreal" one.

AWB 58 Edsel May 2013.JPG

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Scratch built one from a stock AMT '58 Edsel kit. Made my own fender skirts and used the chassis, engine and tin from the AMT awb Dyno Don Comet funny car. Looks more like a real funny car than the "Unreal" one.

AWB 58 Edsel May 2013.JPG

6 hours ago, Bucket T said:

I built this original many moons ago.  Currently in the rebuilt stage, this time in blue like the box art, just have to apply decals.

unreal.jpg

I love ‘em. The I see, the more I want one. Again, it so bad it’s kool.