Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I thought the point of this thread was to specifically discuss the "completely recreated tooling" kit that Round2 strongly hinted at? Your thread, your rules. But to this point 20 pages filled with speculation around this one release from Round2, now about to be opened to a free for all? 😵

Like I said, your thread, your rules. I'm just going by your very first post 20 pages ago.

The thread is a place  where the rumors can be expressed. 

Yes it started with Round 2 hinting at a new release and it can still be addressed, but once that topic runs it's course (which I was thinking it pretty much had) then the next rumour can be brought in.

Think of it as a gossip tabloid for plastic. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

With the images of the Aurora 1/16 funny cars in this months (Oct 22) Round 2 new announcements video, wouldn't it be an absolute scream if it was some of those?

IIRC, they did clone the shop equipment in 1/25 for the parts pack sets they released a couple years ago, so it is a possibility. 

That would definitely get a crowd to "freak" as Tim Boyd stated!

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

With the images of the Aurora 1/16 funny cars in this months (Oct 22) Round 2 new announcements video, wouldn't it be an absolute scream if it was some of those?

IIRC, they did clone the shop equipment in 1/25 for the parts pack sets they released a couple years ago, so it is a possibility. 

That would definitely get a crowd to "freak" as Tim Boyd stated!

That's a fascinating theory but nothing I've ever heard from the Round 2 contingent.  I could probably speculate on, if that actually ended up happening, on how it might have started.  

But given what I know (or think I know) about the big surprise, this definitely is not that. 

Thx for the comments, Patrick.  Best...TB  

TB

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

That's a fascinating theory but nothing I've ever heard from the Round 2 contingent.  I could probably speculate on, if that actually ended up happening, on how it might have started.  

But given what I know (or think I know) about the big surprise, this definitely is not that. 

Thx for the comments, Patrick.  Best...TB  

TB

When will Round 2 reveal the surprise?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

If you ever read Rod  Custom's account of the restoration of the Hirohata Merc, what they found underneath was not pretty.

That would make an interesting model project.  An old school custom, complete with old school construction underneath.

I understood that the Barris ZZR had lots of cardboard and plywood underneath. He was a film prop master. He made things appear to be real that were downright fake.

Always hated Barris' gaudy, tacky, kitschy papier maché and dime store abominations.

Recently got myself the Fireball 500, and was SHOCKED to learn it was a Barris. Overall, the Fireball 500 has some good bones, with a nice side profile, and a really cool space-age twin-cowl design. I'm currently redesigning the car to my own liking; cleaning-up the rear end at bit, and tightening-up that gaping fishmouth front end. In researching Barris for this project, I was surprised to learn he did the gorgeous Hirohata Merc.

I watched the Fireball 500 movie, and really got a kick out of it.

So now, I really want to redesign Barris model kits. I want to get the Monkeemobile, the Raiders Coach, the T Buggy, whatever other gawd awful BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH he spit out, and see what I can do with 'em.

Cuz this Fireball "5000" remake of mine is turning out really nice; very muscle-car-ish with twin hoodscoops, a compressed grille area reminiscent of a 70 Cuda, huge slicks out back, and a slight rake. I should post pics, actually...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stef said:

In researching Barris for this project, I was surprised to learn he did the gorgeous Hirohata Merc.

No, I don't think he had much to do with that car, or any of the early cars that came out of the Barris shop.

It was his brother, Sam that had all the talent. George was just a salesman,, "pitch man" if you will. That's why the early cars look so much better then the later cars built after Sam passed away.

George also had a habit of buying cars built by other people, repainting them and making other minor changes and taking all the credit for the whole car instead of just the small and usually bad changes he made to them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stef said:

Recently got myself the Fireball 500, and was SHOCKED to learn it was a Barris. Overall, the Fireball 500 has some good bones, with a nice side profile, and a really cool space-age twin-cowl design. I'm currently redesigning the car to my own liking; cleaning-up the rear end at bit, and tightening-up that gaping fishmouth front end. In researching Barris for this project, I was surprised to learn he did the gorgeous Hirohata Merc.

I've seen the Fireball 500 in person, sat in it and crawled around inside the back many years ago after it was first restored.  It was a typical movie car, money was only spent where it would be seen on the screen.  For instance, although in the movie it's supposed to have some huge Hemi or something, it was simply a 273 V8 automatic car under the hood.  Interior wise, the top of the dashboard got the custom treatment, but below that it was a standard Barracuda dash and bucket seats.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Because i'm a glutton for punishment, or simply because this thread has gone off track so many times I'll make one more attempt to get it focused.

Here are the original parameters for this post, Round2 said they were working on this:

Clone of old tooling

Can't be built stock

Then Steve chimed in with this...

So, here is the list of ALL the guesses that fit the set criteria, prior to Steve's statement on Page 10. Let the speculation commence on which one of these it is...

THESE ARE THE ONLY CHOICES SINCE STEVE SAID IT'S ONE OF THESE

image.png.678d7b04e6a3fe17cab59b359be7a8f8.png

So, whiclh one of those will it be?  My "money" is on either MPC's custom Corvettes, Pro-Stock Pintos or Aston Martin 007.

2 hours ago, Reegs said:

So, has this big shot announcement been made already and I missed it?

Nothing yet.  Hopefully very soon.  Maybe someone can give us a hint.  Even a pic of a part of the subject.

Edited by GMP440

Here are my guesses and reasons for them.

Top Five Pics.

1: '64 Olds F-85 Streaker Drag Car. (Because the tooling is fresh. Much of the Streaker is on the hanger shot to begin with.)

2: Mannix Toronado Converible. (Because I suspect, but cannot prove that "The Californian" rod and the Mannix share Chassis and engine parts)

3: '68 Mission Impossible Coronet. (Because a '68 Coronet is already verified to be coming)

4: The Thunder Charger Rod. (Because the '67 Dodge Charge was run about 5-6 years ago.)

5:  The Bed Buggy. (Because this had been rumored to be a future kit several years ago)

The Wild Cards....

MPC Mail Truck. (Because a Beautifully Restored Model was just shown here last week)

The Horse Hide Hauler. ( Because it is a '32 body on the Surf Woody Chassis, and that is recent.)

The XR-6. (Because, 'Why Not')