Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

29 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

This one's been advertised on recent reissues' boxes' sides, but, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been issued yet:

street-shark.jpg.7f5fbd5d0510d6fcd3ffcfb0c7c1902c.jpg

That version was available around 1978-79, as far as I know. Then it was reissued a few years later as the "Street Fever", molded in black, without the hood scoop, and then a few years after as the "Custom Corvette", molded in blue.

• Like 1

My money's on the Streaker Olds AWB drag car. Awww yissss.

Most, if not all, of the Streaker-specific parts are already in the convertible or 442 kits; just need an altered wheelbase body?

My understanding is the original Streaker kit used the same generic AWB chassis as was used under the 65 Rat Packer Nova, 65 Falcon, 63 Tempest, (65?) Mustang, etc. True, there were a few slight variations between engines, suspension setups dash/interior details, etc., though they are very similar for the most part.

I'm no expert, and others have chimed in here with detailed info, including instruction sheets for many of these kits.

Here's a chassis comparo for TWO of HPIGuy's recent-ish builds of the Nova and Falcon:

NOVA

x1.png.63581c622c17af16167d5fc50ab13e67.png

FALCON

x2.png.dbc943264775b798c58a4701c5a0b152.png

They are similar, but not identical.

Also, I believe there was at least a third variant; the chassis used under the Cyclone Eliminator kit. Chris also built this one awhile back:

x3.png.e68bd9a8cd1f491e21ed80fc6d18e72c.png

The Cyclone kit is a funny car, which includes hinges that mount inside the rear body. The interior does not have door panels, as a separate wheel tub/door panel insert goes into the body to complete the look.

Whichever of these chassis variants gets stuffed up into the Streaker Olds body, looks like the kit is 99% complete.

Hope this helps, thanks!

127b4217acee4b568f7d1379e2717a3f--model-box-model-kits-1760729600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Nice Detective Work, Stef!

I know that Whale Tail Spoiler made it into the Hardtop Olds kit that was just released. 

Here are pics of the Cutlass Streaker parts from the Cutlass kits recently released.  Yes, the whale tail circled in red is in the hardtop Cutlass kit.  Notice the super charger front pulleys; circled in red.  They look like the traction bar wheels that are on the AWB Streaker kit.  That's in the convertible kit along with the bulge hood and the convertible tonneau top.  Those are the only Streaker  parts in the kits.  Just need the AWB body, chassis and the rest of the drag parts.   Definetely can be done if Round 2 has this kit in their archives.  

Amt Cutlass Streaker parts.jpg

14 hours ago, PintoKING said:

That version was available around 1978-79, as far as I know. Then it was reissued a few years later as the "Street Fever", molded in black, without the hood scoop, and then a few years after as the "Custom Corvette", molded in blue.

I'd be down for the c.1978 iteration -- especially since it's advertised on the box sides of the Streaker Vette and others. I have zero interest in the later, modified reissues (all of those 1980's custom "touches" can stay back in the 80's where they belong), but I'm sure that others would be all about those versions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd be down for the c.1978 iteration -- especially since it's advertised on the box sides of the Streaker Vette and others. I have zero interest in the later, modified reissues (all of those 1980's custom "touches" can stay back in the 80's where they belong), but I'm sure that others would be all about those versions.

but I'm sure that others would be all about those versions.

Yes! Bring on the 80's Custom Stuff. IMSA Too!

But, I'd take this kit anyway they chose to release it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, for your super sleuthing on the Streaker kit, and to Chris, who keeps building everything in sight. His build videos have inspired me to buy dozens of kits I didn't know much about, and might not have even thought of buying.

As for the Mako Shark / Enforcer, I agree. Would love to build this one again, in whatever form they will release it. Me personally, I'm a big fan of those 80s vector wheels and that sinister skateboard track, heh.

z.jpg.36dc476afc059c17c2df855878f75c8e.jpg

On 6/29/2022 at 1:21 PM, pack rat said:

Here's a pic of the contents for those who may be unfamiliar with the "for 68" Impala.

This kit is pretty cool If you're into old-school customs.  I would gladly buy a couple more.

zzzzzz.JPG

If Round2 turned this into a real 68 Impala, I would buy one

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Wait a minute. Can't be bult stock, unavailable for a long, long time, needed retooling - is it the newly announced Lennie Pond '73 NASCAR Chevelle?

I beleive the Lenni Pond car was reissued by the Model King a few years ago.  Same car but a different decal scheme.    So, what is the big announcement supposed to be?  Maybe someone here in know can give us some hints?

On 11/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, niteowl7710 said:

I suspect if there's an answer to this question in the year 2022, the best chance of it being answered would be at Round2's display at the Detroit NNL this weekend.

I have the first-round test shot of the Mystery kit in front of me, it should be at the Detroit NNL if all goes well.   The Lil Hustler Drag Truck is from existing tooling so that a no.  Our Mystery kit had to be 100% re-created (cloned) from a vintage kit. 

-Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve and all: Very exciting to hear that the Mystery Kit may break cover at the NNL North. 

In this entire 22-page thread, seems to me that I recall only seeing only about three to five correct guesses.

Which means that 95% of you are going to be really, really surprised. 

Hope Sunday is the day!   Cheers...TB 

55 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

If my memory is any good, (and my wife will tell you it isn't), it looks to me like that reissue of the Datsun drag pickup kit has some new and different parts in it. I don't remember a chrome pushbar in the original kit and am pretty sure those are different wheels, too. 

Wheels are from the later Pro Gas version with the stepside bed, and we retooled the tonneau cover.   Everything else is the same as the first Lil Hustler version.

-Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1