Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Thanks for doing 65 GTO ht btw. Didn’t mean to step on your lines in other thread. Happy you guys found it, I always wondered what happened to it since Cvt turned into Mod Stocker then back. Separate HL too I saw on other board. 👍🏼

To be clear the only found part of this was the mint original AMT '65 GTO promo that was hiding at the bottom of a crate of leftover '90's Ertl Corvettes and Geo Storm promos that was in the warehouse for many years. true story.  The '68 GTO was in there too. The minute I opened the box and saw what it was, I knew what I wanted to do with it.  We recreated it all new and made a few improvements.  All part of a bigger project, let just hope my gamble pays off in sales. 

-Steve    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SteveG said:

To be clear the only found part of this was the mint original AMT '65 GTO promo that was hiding at the bottom of a crate of leftover '90's Ertl Corvettes and Geo Storm promos that was in the warehouse for many years. true story.  The '68 GTO was in there too. The minute I opened the box and saw what it was, I knew what I wanted to do with it.  We recreated it all new and made a few improvements.  All part of a bigger project, let just hope my gamble pays off in sales. 

-Steve    

Man, That's just too cool. What are the odds of finding those there , of all places. 

I'm sure they'll sell very well. 

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

-Steve    

Crossing my fingers too Steve, cuz great sales mean more money to be spend on likewise interesting improved reversed engineered projects. Two thumbs up!

21 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

JoH...

as in JoHan Pro-Stock Comet/Maverick.

After all, it was issued under the AMT banner in 1971....

And the molds, IF they still exist, are incompatible with the other manufacturer's molding machines.

So need to be 100% cloned.

It's a great idea, but in this case, we cloned something that was always 100 % from the AMT brand.  Hopefully you'll have your answer tomorrow.

Steve  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had no interest in the Storm in high school when those were new.

Now....yeah, I'll take a Storm kit. Wouldn't even mind a real one for a cheap to run runabout.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Looking forward to the grand unveiling...whenever it'll be

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

I'd love to see a Geo Metro kitted, even if it's promo-style. heck, a full-detail (okay, a spank better'an promo) would be even better! Make that rascal a 2-in-1: stock putter, or a full-out custom with a mid-mount LT-1 (the original) or something outrageous. 

While I never cared for the Storm, I know that a lot of folks would buy one or five for the nostalgia. 

8 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve    

I'm excited about the prospect of cloning old kits. Looks like it's a lot simpler and thereby cheaper than having to completely tool up from scratch. It sure has brought a lot of surprises lately!

Steve, please also consider the possibility of adding long lost parts variations to your current stable of available kits. 

Ideas include:

72 Pontiac Ventura II. Fenders, nose, hood, cowl and bumpers to the 72 Nova kit. Since those parts were initially in the same tool, it would make an interesting variation of an old standby. Yes the Pontiac had a Chevy engine. 

Open Road camper van parts. Clone all the unique camping parts and add a V-groove inside the van body for the window and high top roof options.

75,76 Pontiac Ventura options. Tool the nose as a separate piece, along with the hood, cowl and bumpers. MPC Nova could serve multiple kit variations.

Tool separate nose options for the 86 El Camino SS to make multiple years available. Include the bench seat. It's a great kit, I just don't always want to build the ultra-limited edition SS.

Grille options for the 78 Dodge pickup. 72, 74, 76. Bonus points for the 80s square light grille with hood.

Grille options for the 79 Ford F350 Camper Special. Bonus points for a regular wheelbase long bed box.

• Like 1

Sure didn't expect that.  No doubt many people will be happy to see that one return.

Now, allow me to be "that guy" and say I'd much prefer the stock Craftsman '65 hardtop.

Since they're recreating all of this, including the glass and front/rear chrome, I'm crossing my fingers for a follow-up stock-bodied '65 which could use the same parts.

• Like 3