Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

To be clear the only found part of this was the mint original AMT '65 GTO promo that was hiding at the bottom of a crate of leftover '90's Ertl Corvettes and Geo Storm promos that was in the warehouse for many years. true story.  The '68 GTO was in there too. The minute I opened the box and saw what it was, I knew what I wanted to do with it.  We recreated it all new and made a few improvements.  All part of a bigger project, let just hope my gamble pays off in sales. 

-Steve    

Steve,

These will both be successful.  I hope you can justify the expense of creating the proper taillight treatment on the '65 since it was never correct, and also offer the exposed-headlights grille for the '68 so it can be built either way.  

The cloned 65 and 68 GTO’s I’ll be keeping an eye out for I can’t wait to see them, finally a good 65 to build. As far as the 65 Chevelle AWB, I can’t wait till it hits the shelves I think the AMT Chevelle roof line is far more correct than the Revell, but that’s just my opinion though. All my best to Round2 models.

Edited by carnut

28 minutes ago, TonyK said:

This AWB Chevelle brings back childhood memories of a combo kit with the '63 Impala and trailer. Unless I'm remembering it wrong?

Wouldn't surprise me if that one comes back eventually, along w/ the Indy Drag Combo w/ the Chevy II wagon and Chevy II drag coupe.

velleandImpalaChevelleDragTeam-vi.jpg

ChevroletNovaIIIndyDragCombo-vi.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

This AWB Chevelle brings back childhood memories of a combo kit with the '63 Impala and trailer. Unless I'm remembering it wrong?

41 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Wouldn't surprise me if that one comes back eventually, along w/ the Indy Drag Combo w/ the Chevy II wagon and Chevy II drag coupe.

velleandImpalaChevelleDragTeam-vi.jpg

ChevroletNovaIIIndyDragCombo-vi.jpg

I have no doubt that the potential to reissue the Chevelle Drag Team played a factor in this decision, similar to the Nova. Only question is WHEN they reissue the Indy Drag Combo.  (My suspicion is that it will be announced within the next year.)

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Excellant news. We were close on the guesses made for the altered wheel base cars.  Looking forward to this one.  I wonder if the AWB Cutlass F-85 Streaker will be following this one?

I'm no expert on the AMT AWB kits, but I seem to recall people "in the know" saying that the Chevelle and Streaker Olds shared a chassis (probably also drivetrain?), so that would be a key part in the puzzle to bring back the AWB Olds.  Maybe another factor in the "plus" column to bring the Chevelle back?

Think someone said that the Edsel "Funny Car" also used that chassis...

2 hours ago, carnut said:

...I think the AMT Chevelle roof line is far more correct than the Revell, but that’s just my opinion though...

Agreed, that's what makes it so tragic that the original stock '65 got butchered.

In addition to the side window shape, most people aren't real keen on the bumper guards on the Revell '65, or the fact that it can only be built as a low production Z16.  I would much prefer a small-block powered "standard" SS with more color choices, etc.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

For those yawning and complaining "that's it???", It may not be our cup of tea, but it opens the door to other possibilities.

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

Well said sir..   

I reluctantly agree.

I admit that my knee-jerk reaction to stuff like this is " why are they bothering to recreate THAT!".  Yet, many of the responses in this thread confirm that this is welcome news by a lot of people.

So I try to look at it exactly as Lee stated.  Frankly I'm happy to see Round 2 investing so much in automotive subjects, and if stuff like this helps to fund more subjects like the Nova wagon and the recently announced GTO's, it all works out in my book.

• Like 3

Well, as I've said elsewhere, it's the first kit I ever built - some 55 years ago - so I ought to try it again. And this time I might not use the shocks for grille decorations.

SteveG, will this share any parts with the Modified Stocker such as the hood and bumpers? And if you're redoing the hood, can it be fixed so the sides don't drop down below cowl level?

Will it have clear red taillights like before?

• Haha 2