Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

On 11/13/2022 at 10:23 AM, Motor City said:

Steve,

These will both be successful.  I hope you can justify the expense of creating the proper taillight treatment on the '65 since it was never correct, and also offer the exposed-headlights grille for the '68 so it can be built either way.  

I saw the prototype/test at the Detroit show and the taillights look like the did some work on them but not sure, they looked good to me! They also did some work on the grille and they said it will have clear headlights! They tooled up some dog dish hubcaps as well!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bondzy said:

From what it looked like in the pictures the c1500 454 ss is coming back if so I'll take 5 of those kits!!! I hope it's a 2 in one and you can also build it stock by the look of the wheel and tire combo in the bed of the truck. 

IIRC, Steve G said in another thread that it is not an SS454 but a regular 1500. Those wheels were a common option on those trucks, not unique to the SS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Street Freaks" is what they were called back then.

AMT Put a second seat and exhaust pipes in many of the their Gassers, and called them Street Freaks to get more use out of the Molds.

Tim Boyd has done a lot of writing about them in  the Scale Car Magazines over the years.

I can’t wait to see these kits come out. But I do a complaint-concern.

Round2 can you please work out your quality control? I have bought couple of your kits recently, 72 Nova and 68 Camaro, and there was warpage of the bodies, interior tubs and chassis. The Camaro I was able to straighten out but the 72 Nova was too far gone in the interior tub.

Keep up your fine work, I’m excited about what is coming up.

Edited by carnut

29 minutes ago, carnut said:

I can’t wait to see these kits come out. But I do a complaint-concern.

Round2 can you please work out your quality control? I have bought couple of your kits recently, 72 Nova and 68 Camaro, and there was warpage of the bodies, interior tubs and chassis. The Camaro I was able to straighten out but the 72 Nova was too far gone in the interior tub.

Keep up your fine work, I’m excited about what is coming up.

IMHO Best to send photos of these to their customer service dept. that way they can see what wrong and work out preventive measures. 

On 11/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, 1972coronet said:

There was a 350-SS version as well, available concurrently with the 454-SS

An SS 350 truck?  I’ve never seen one even back in the day when they were new. 

Edited by mikos

1 hour ago, mikos said:

An SS 350 truck?  I’ve never seen one even back in the day when they were new. 

1990 CHEVY C/K 1500 SILVERADO 350 SS MATCHING NUMBERS 350SS TRUCK NOT A CLONE for sale: photos, technical specifications, description (topclassiccarsforsale.com)

To clarify the nomenclature of this - and its 454-powered relative - C1500: the SS was placed after the engine displacement designation; e.g. "350-SS" and "454-SS".
A distinction with a difference.

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

1990 CHEVY C/K 1500 SILVERADO 350 SS MATCHING NUMBERS 350SS TRUCK NOT A CLONE for sale: photos, technical specifications, description (topclassiccarsforsale.com)

To clarify the nomenclature of this - and its 454-powered relative - C1500: the SS was placed after the engine displacement designation; e.g. "350-SS" and "454-SS".
A distinction with a difference.

That truck has been worked on since no factory Chevy truck of that time period came with a cowl hood.  They were basically “Sport” models that some regional dealers/owners added the 350-SS stickers to them.  No C1500 ever left the factory with SS-350 decals.  The 454-SS was the only “official” SS trim package to leave the factory floor at that time.  Still, it’s a really nice truck that's for sure.

Edited by mikos

31 minutes ago, keyser said:

69 cvt

I'd like to see the 1970 'Bee receive not only the convertible treatment, but a 'freshening' of its chassis/suspension as well. Yes, it has the AMT 1968-1969 R.R./GTX underpinnings, but even that setup is a bit long in the tooth. Heck, at this point I'd be happy if the '68 'Net chassis/suspension finds its way under my 'proposal' (and, in kind, the brake master from the AMT '68-'69 R.R. et al. find its way into the box of the 1968 MPC 'Net 'Vert).

Little known fact (not directed at you): No such a thing as a Super Bee convertible, in spite of the phantoms around, including the show car from Chrysler from c.1969 (and MPC's offering as well).

6 hours ago, mikos said:

That truck has been worked on since no factory Chevy truck of that time period came with a cowl hood.  They were basically “Sport” models that some regional dealers/owners added the 350-SS stickers to them.  No C1500 ever left the factory with SS-350 decals.  The 454-SS was the only “official” SS trim package to leave the factory floor at that time.  Still, it’s a really nice truck that's for sure.

I second all of the above.  That linked example is a Silverado Sport with aftermarket 350 SS decals.  LOL at "Not a clone" statement: I guess it can't be a clone, since a factory 350 SS never existed.

From what I recall seeing driving around back in the day, I think the Sport package was only available in black, white, or red.

1991-chevrolet-c1500-silverado-sport-very-nice-perfect-for-ls-swap-1.jpg

1991-chevrolet-c1500-silverado-sport-very-nice-perfect-for-ls-swap-4.jpg

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:21 PM, RickRollerLT1 said:

Since R2 has the 007 license (with the 73 Mustang and 70 Ford Interceptor to go by), I'd be a no brainer to repop the Austin Martin DB-6 and Toyota 2000GT vert. Unlike several other MPC molds that were butchered back and forth, those two were only issued once and should be intact.

Yes, but I believe those were Airfix kits reboxed as MPC.

Well, I sure can see how the Chevelle will tie in with the newly cloned Olds convertible (Streaker) and the 65 Mustang fastback (funny car).

Steve, is this a complete clone of the original kit? Will the Chevelle have all of the scripts and trim like the original? If so, I can see conversion possibilities. 

Here's hoping the stock version is in the near future. 

I'm not disappointed at all!

On 11/18/2022 at 12:02 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Well, I sure can see how the Chevelle will tie in with the newly cloned Olds convertible (Streaker) and the 65 Mustang fastback (funny car).

Steve, is this a complete clone of the original kit? Will the Chevelle have all of the scripts and trim like the original? If so, I can see conversion possibilities. 

Here's hoping the stock version is in the near future. 

I'm not disappointed at all!

This version has been stripped of its badges and the wipers too so it's really not a good starting point for a stock conversion.  Personally, I'm a big fan of the GM intermediates 64-72 so I'm hoping to keep filling in some of the gaps of what's missing especially with the ones we can clone easily from our own designs. 

I've already got eight cloning projects going for 2023, you've only seen the first three so stay tuned. 

-Steve 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2022 at 7:21 PM, RickRollerLT1 said:

Since R2 has the 007 license (with the 73 Mustang and 70 Ford Interceptor to go by), I'd be a no brainer to repop the Austin Martin DB-6 and Toyota 2000GT vert. Unlike several other MPC molds that were butchered back and forth, those two were only issued once and should be intact.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:43 PM, Dave Darby said:

Yes, but I believe those were Airfix kits reboxed as MPC.

, , , and besides, the Bond Aston Martin was a DB-5, not a DB-6

Looks similar from the front, very different from the back.

• Like 1