Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

45 minutes ago, Mark said:

I wonder if a new '61 Starliner would be the way to go, rather than a '62.  '61 could have a NASCAR version baked in from the start, and the '61s seem to have done better in drag racing also.

Agree. Few aware of Starlift, only guys like us that like obscure. 60 chassis fits. Then they’d have 60-66. 67-8 and a 70 left. Q/R-code ftw. 

On 12/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mark said:

I wonder if a new '61 Starliner would be the way to go, rather than a '62.  '61 could have a NASCAR version baked in from the start, and the '61s seem to have done better in drag racing also.

Only if they did the '61 Starliner. I'm not a fan of the box top on the '61 and '62 Galaxies. I have a '62 that's almost done and I really wanted to do a roof swap with a '63. But, the styrene the '62 was made from was very hard and brittle. I was concerned that I couldn't get a good bond. 

9 hours ago, horsepower said:

With all the new Craftsman series kits making a comeback and those releases with all new tooling I'm still hoping for a '64 Chevelle Malibu, (NOT the SS version)

Most would prefer the SS version, so you might do better with a resin kit than to wait for one from Round2 or Revell.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:44 AM, keyser said:

Keep windows down. 🤣 I have this removable hardtop fetish, this was epic NASCAR end run around rules. Raced once, won, banned. 

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2014/09/ghost-muscle-cars-1962-ford-starlift.html?m=1

They made a filler piece for nascar competition. Potential street cars would have an air leak. LOL 😂

Edited by Sledsel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, GMP440 said:

Looks like this thread continues.  As was stated previously, 3 are done. 

My list of possible subjects remaining to be cloned:  AWB 64 Cutlass F-85 "The Steaker", 67 Galaxie, 69 Coronet R/T, 71 Dodge Demon, 67 Bonneville, 67-69 Chevy C-10 truck.  

I believe all you have listed there have at least a fighting chance (with the possibile exception of the 67 Bonneville), with most being knock-it-out-of-the-park foregone conclusions. 

Other, very obvious choices for cloning

67-68 Cougar. Lots of pent up demand for that one.

66 Skylark is similarly a no brainer

71 Firebird Formula 400

61-63 Ford F100

60 Chevy wagon Craftsman Plus

59 Galaxie Craftsman Plus 

58 Fairlane 500 Craftsman Plus

60-62 round body Falcon sedans, wagons and 63 Falcon Sprint Craftsman Plus 

66-69 Falcon Futura

66 Comet Cyclone GT Craftsman Plus

64-65 Barracuda

67 Barracuda annual 

71 Roadrunner or GTX

68-69 Grand Prix

Touch Tone Terror Dodge A-100 (clone the missing TTT parts)

... which also brings me to my picks for "spinoffs"

65 442

68 Tempest with OHC 6 option

64 or 65 F-85 wagon

65 Tempest wagon

68-70 Coronet wagons

68-69 Belvedere/Satellite wagons

67 Fairlane GT/GTA kit variant from current kit tooling 

68 442 kit variant from current tooling

....and some "out there" picks (cloned)

Aurora 1934 Ford 5 window coupe (Polar Lights Retro Deluxe boxing)

Aurora Racing Scenes - re-scaled and cloned to 1/25 (not so crazy, as part of the series has already been done with the AMT Garage Scenes parts packs)

MPC 70 AMX re-scaled and cloned to 1/25 

MPC 68 Econoline re-scaled and cloned to 1/25 (this could be a real coup)

• Like 2

I really do hope the folks at these companies in Product development are watching these threads. Round II ? if you could acquire this mold I'd like to see what y'all could do with it... New Decals...Box Art, pad printed tires treaded and slicks... I know it's a jankie kit but I'm sure it would sell just for nostalgic reasons...

s-l400-22.jpg

AMT-38277-5.jpg

AMT-6532-2.jpg

• Like 3

No offence but

9 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I really do hope the folks at these companies in Product development are watching these threads. Round II ? if you could acquire this mold I'd like to see what y'all could do with it... New Decals...Box Art, pad printed tires treaded and slicks... I know it's a jankie kit but I'm sure it would sell just for nostalgic reasons...

s-l400-22.jpg

AMT-38277-5.jpg

AMT-6532-2.jpg

I'd rather see them back date the Squad Rod Nova than repop that hideous Nova kit

Edited by bigryan18
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigryan18 said:

I'd rather see them back date the Squad Rod Nova

I agree but I just don't see them investing  in a kit that really isn't all that different  between 78 to 79. I'll take the re-pop of the Squad Rod in White styrene and colored glass though...and I'd like to see what they would do to improve the Hideous AMT backbirth... Just for fun. 😁

• Like 1

That Nova came in at least Two different flavors, a '77 Stock Nova (Complete with C.B. Radio) and the afore mentioned Rod.

Notice the Box Tops. This would make a nice 2'n'1 Kit, like the Pacer kit. And the Stock 2 door would make a decent Police Car.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1971-1980/amt_nova_hatchback/?view=roll#1

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1971-1980/amt-1976-chevy-nova/?view=roll#1

1976 Chevrolet Nova Box 1

Notice that the Red Nova box art does not show the contents of the kit.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

That Nova came in at least Two different flavors, a '77 Stock Nova (Complete with C.B. Radio) and the afore mentioned Rod.

And I believe the two kits were out about the same time too. MPC won that war, the battle of the Disco Nova. But on the other hand a pro stock Nova did fit the bill for the time, imagine if MPC would've followed AMT's lead with a ProStock version of the 79 Nova? (Altererd tool by that time). It would've been a great opportunity to fix that plain chassis if nothing else...

And I remember when AMT announced the Street Custom kit. Alot of modelers were disappointed but I wasn't. I remembered AMT had modified the stock tooling and thought I bet the box didn't match the parts. I was right, I ordered a case anyways... when they came in my local hobby shop owner disclosed the information he said "You know the kit isn't the stock version?" I said "I kinda figured"... didn't matter to me, the Old Pro chassis fits as a stock option. I went with it.

The dimensions are off and the kit is simple but it still builds up with minimal issues. AMT didn't even try to improve the decals so at the very least it would be cool to see Round II's take on the kit for the decals IMO.. 

20230117_174827.jpg

• Like 1

The AMT Nova kit was originally a pseudo Pro-Stock kit first (#T348, AMT Nova Pro Stock, first issued in 1975 as a second spinoff of their newly tooled Nova annual kit). 

Essentially the annual kit contents with a new, tubbed rear underbody clip, a high riser 454 with a Lenco tranny.   Not at all accurate for a real 1/1 Pro-Stock circa 1975, but not bad for a Pro-Street style car before the 1/1 genre became popular.  Kit box and more info can seen on page 131 of the "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits'" book from CarTech publishing. 

Here's my mostly box stock build (note the later model year grille/headlamps) built with a pseudo pro street theme.   

DSC 0266

DSC 0267

DSC 0268

DSC 0265

Best....TB

• Like 4

I need the tubbed 68 Elky kit. No idea until read TB about it. It had tubbed bed and pro-tour parts. Haven’t had it back, stocker back couple times. Put the soapbox car in too since I have the non soapbox 69 annual. 
Or a dual kit with Hull Raiser and a hitch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keyser said:

I need the tubbed 68 Elky kit. No idea until read TB about it. It had tubbed bed and pro-tour parts. Haven’t had it back, stocker back couple times. Put the soapbox car in too since I have the non soapbox 69 annual. 
Or a dual kit with Hull Raiser and a hitch?

Good Idea. That Pro-Tour Elky is the bomb. I missed out on the first issue. Be really Nice to see it return. How about the Westcraft Boat in the bed as a bonus?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:26 PM, tim boyd said:

The AMT Nova kit was originally a pseudo Pro-Stock kit first (#T348, AMT Nova Pro Stock, first issued in 1975 as a second spinoff of their newly tooled Nova annual kit). 

Essentially the annual kit contents with a new, tubbed rear underbody clip, a high riser 454 with a Lenco tranny.   Not at all accurate for a real 1/1 Pro-Stock circa 1975, but not bad for a Pro-Street style car before the 1/1 genre became popular.  Kit box and more info can seen on page 131 of the "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits'" book from CarTech publishing. 

Here's my mostly box stock build (note the later model year grille/headlamps) built with a pseudo pro street theme.   

DSC 0266

Best....TB

Tim, sure looks like you bashed the entire MPC body with the chassis/drivetrain of the AMT street machine.  I've considered doing the same thing with an old AMT built-up, once I realized how incorrect the AMT greenhouse is.

The AMT kit isn't totally useless.  It's the only easily available source for the more common 76-78 style grill (and front fender endcaps).  It also has some decent interior components, including separate interior side panels (vs. tub style in the MPC), plus correct factory-style Nova front seats and 4-spoke steering wheel.  (MPC didn't bother to change their interior when they converted their kit from the '77 Ventura)

The original AMT "Pro Stock" release is also the only source for the one year only 1975 grille:

image.png.323053a8bc9dd62fafca7a0243216e80.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 10:43 PM, disconovaman said:

s-l400-22.jpg

AMT-38277-5.jpg

AMT-6532-2.jpg

Oh yeah. I'd definitely buy it again.

I really like to see the Nova Squad Rod again. And the Force 440 police cruiser too.

Edited by BlackSheep214

16 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Oh yeah. I'd definitely buy it again.

I really like to see the Nova Squad Rod again. And the Force 440 police cruiser too.

Without a major re-tooling of the body, the Force 440 will not be coming back. Once the Body tool was changed to a Four Door, it would be hard to change it back.

That said, the return of the '68 Coronet has proven that if Round2 Believes that a retool can make them Money they can & will put in the Time, Effort & Money to bring back a kit. I'd like to see the body (if a Two-Door) returned to the rare '75 Roadrunner Kit.