Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hey Tim, any reason why the car has two seats? Was 'Ol Geo really supposed to carry a passenger down the 1320? Wouldn't that also affect the weight distribution too?

I'm not Tim, but I believe gassers were required by the rules to have two seats.

1 hour ago, RancheroSteve said:

I'm not Tim, but I believe gassers were required by the rules to have two seats.

Yes, that car was meant to fit in the Gas class as well as an Altered, so it had to be legal in both.
As far as I know Ohio George only drove the car once and it dissappeared soon after.

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hey Tim, any reason why the car has two seats? Was 'Ol Geo really supposed to carry a passenger down the 1320? Wouldn't that also affect the weight distribution too?

Patrick....my understanding is that the Gasser Class rules had a longstanding requirement for both a driver and passenger seat....only reason for them to be there....TB 

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

OK guys, as promised here's a link to a post in the "WIP Drag Racing" folder with about 15 photo excerpts from the 70 how-to images I just posted at my Fotki site, along with a link to all those 70 images.  About 50 of the 70 show the model and its components in various stages of assembly.  They will give you an excellent idea of how the kit is designed and how it comes together, along with my take on the kit and its assembly fun factor.  

Hope this adds some to the knowledge base on this old MPC project.  It was a cool one!  TB

Thanks For posting these, Tim. It really Helps.

12 hours ago, horsepower said:

Didn't Round2s announcement of the release of the Raiders Coach answer all of the questions and suspicions about what the kit was/is going to be?

12 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The fact that Chad didn't say a thing about any resurrected tooling, suggests that isn't it.

This one was reissued by RC2 (as an AMT 🙄), so shouldn't have been a need to retool anything.

Just as well.  If that was the "mystery" kit, that would be a huge disappointment.  At least Round 2 is using the proper MPC branding.

image.png.5d3ccab87e067212dcea2112c429dada.png

Edited by Robberbaron

Scott, I believe the reasoning behind keeping quiet stems from a couple things.

1. The "Dodge Demon" Fiasco. Rumors of the Demon kit coming back to life started over ten years ago (I believe). It never happened. To this day, there are still people who are upset about this. Round2 took a lot of undeserved grief over this. I suspect that all new product announcements from then on, are carefully weighed, on the chances of avoiding another "Demon Disaster".

2. A desire to have a normal lead time on the kit. I.E. about 6-8 months from first announcement to store shelves. If the 'mystery kit' runs into problems, they don't want to keep pushing the delivery date, while they fine tune the kit. That only generates more friction.(See Moebius for examples of this)

3. "Veruca Salt Syndrome, But I want it NOW! Daddy" In an age where marketing and sales is often predicated on the near instantaneous fulfilment of consumer desires, I am afraid that a large percentage of the 'Buying Public' has been trained to demand new product as soon as the existence of any new product has been announced. I count myself as part of the 'Buying Public' on this count.  I am as guilty as the next guy, about wanting to buy a kit within days of it being previewed. So, We just want what we want, when we want it.

Lastly, Since many of us grew up seeing large numbers of kits released each year, the comparatively relaxed pace of 'New Kit' introduction with just a few kits per month, leads to a desire for something "New" all the time. A Dopamine Hit, if you will of the new and unexpected, rather than the same old Pleasure Centre being stimulated. Look at much of the collective reaction here to the most recent kit release news. To judge from the Comments, almost all of the kits shown generated just modest interest. Even the comparatively rare Ramchargers Dragster and Transport Truck (seen for the first time in 50+ years) caused little comment. That fact (to me anyways) shows how numb we have gotten to new kits from Round2 especially. 10 years ago, that kit would have generated pages of discussion and hosannas.  Now, crickets... So, we wait for bigger & bigger proclamations of New Things. No wonder there is more disappointment when a new kit is introduced, and it is not what "We" wanted.

I need to take my own advice, and just settle down and wait. The "New Kit" will get here when it gets here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

Why stress over it?  I'm sure you have plenty of kits to work on just like the rest of us.

My thoughts exactly! As I type this I have a closet with 300+ kits staring at me and I surely don't need anymore as I won't live long enough to open all of them, much less build them!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbill said:

…..I heard about it today, which means I want it yesterday, so I can put it on a shelf and forget I have it……

in a nut shell , how I operate, haha….

:D

Had the same in my mind when reading some of the comments, I still remember 39 years ago as a teenager ager getting the '83 Monogram catalog right after the Nürnberg trade show and wanting the Mustang convertible, which was scheduled for release in September of that year, one part of me wanted it to be September already, another oh no, it's after the summer break! 

Edited by Luc Janssens

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Even the comparatively rare Ramchargers Dragster and Transport Truck (seen for the first time in 50+ years) caused little comment. That fact (to me anyways) shows how numb we have gotten to new kits from Round2 especially. 10 years ago, that kit would have generated pages of discussion and hosannas.  Now, crickets...

Good thought in your post.

With regards to this one, the transport truck was out about 10 years ago, and the Ramchargers dragster just last year. So, while it's cool to have it all in one  box, both kits have been available recently.

Now, when the 63 Nova and 64 Cutlass were announced, which hadn't been released in stock versions in over 40 years, that DID create a quite a stir.

• Like 1

Because i'm a glutton for punishment, or simply because this thread has gone off track so many times I'll make one more attempt to get it focused.

Here are the original parameters for this post, Round2 said they were working on this:

Clone of old tooling

Can't be built stock

Then Steve chimed in with this...

On 7/7/2022 at 1:36 PM, SteveG said:

someone did guess it correctly. 

-Steve

So, here is the list of ALL the guesses that fit the set criteria, prior to Steve's statement on Page 10. Let the speculation commence on which one of these it is...

THESE ARE THE ONLY CHOICES SINCE STEVE SAID IT'S ONE OF THESE

image.png.678d7b04e6a3fe17cab59b359be7a8f8.png

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Because i'm a glutton for punishment, or simply because this thread has gone off track so many times I'll make one more attempt to get it focused.

Here are the original parameters for this post, Round2 said they were working on this:

Clone of old tooling

Can't be built stock

Then Steve chimed in with this...

So, here is the list of ALL the guesses that fit the set criteria, prior to Steve's statement on Page 10. Let the speculation commence on which one of these it is...

Yep, it's one of those from what I know.  I can't say which one, though.  Steve (or some other Round 2 spokesperson) will have to take the lead on that....TB  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Yep, it's one of those from what I know.  I can't say which one, though.  Steve (or some other Round 2 spokesperson) will have to take the lead on that....TB  

Thanks Tim. I know Steve won't confirm it until he's allowed to. But I thought I could steer the speculation towards what it actually is, rather than everybody's want list, especially when their wants don't fit the criteria set from the beginning. 😋

27 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Clone of old tooling

Can't be built stock

Thanks. 
Steve also said the tv/movie car is the Black Beauty, so that kills Aston and Toyota (Hondo) 2000.
68 Coronet cv announced so that’s out.

Paddy wagon, Horse hide hauler, Phone booth, Mannix all based on kits that have been reissued in fairly recent past (Outlaw Ccab chassis body different; horse hide surf hearse; phone booth the goofy mummy machine; Mannix the Californian)though I’d love the Paddy Wagon

Pro stocks and “street freak” (Tim B said we’d freak) maybe. (65 awb Malibu and Chopped cutlass. 
Mach 1, Mako, Charger 3 would be fun, but bits of first 2 exist. Maybe. 
Edsel funny unlikely, Pirahna drag based. 
Bed buggy, thundercharger, ZZR pretty obscure to retool/clone 

68 Impala I’d think new stock body on 67 chassis better idea, but stock. Original Impala with no rear window not worth clone $. Same for heinously ugly Magnum 2

Tognotti T, XR6 killer, grand national roadster winners, maybe? Paddy Wagon based off Tognotti too. 
Nascar 71 Daytona would be great. HUG 68 dunno. Fever Bee has coupe body for announced convertible, so double dip. 
Rest, dunno. Here’s hoping.