Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairly new to forum and finally done lurking

Greetings to all Model Cars Message Board Members! I feel this introduction is kind of a waste of time because I recognize so many of the names here from other message boards, model car shows and swap meets, or my model club here in Philadelphia (Hi Mike), but since I do not know everyone My story is not that different from a lot of other modelers who were a child of the 1970s. I was crazy about cars for as long as I can remember. This led to an extensive collection of Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and even a handful of Tomica pocket cars as a young one. In addition to the diecast cars, I also had a couple of forays into the world of plastic. These early attempts did not go so well. The kits I had were cool cars that I had an interest in, but not the skills to really complete.

The worst part about it is that all these cool kits that got me started down the road of car modeling fetch a pretty high price these days including the Richard Petty Transporter and the Jim Hurtibese Chevelle. One day I’ll actually obtain the required elements to build those two but it’ll be a while and I’ll build a lot more of the stuff I already have before I drop large coin tilting at those styrene windmills.

Despite the fits and starts of my early years (four or five years old), I stuck pretty much with the Hotwheels cars until I was 12 or so. At that time, I rediscovered car modeling and supported it with newly obtained job as a paperboy. It was this “phase†of my modeling career that I was pretty much signed on for life although I did go through a prolonged dormant period after high school until I finished law school.

During this period, the early 80s, I bought and built such kits as MPC’s “Long Shot†Chevy Monza and their Pro Street Datsun Pickup, Monogram’s ‘70 Malibu and 70 Boss Mustang amongst other kits. One kit from this era that I recreated within the last few years was Monogram’s 1969 Z-28 kit in all its Multicolored striped, mini-tubbed, ladder bar equipped glory. Another one that I called “do-over†on was the 1970 Chevelle. I have others planned, but those two are the only ones that have been built so far.

After law school I got a job to pay the bills while I looked for something in my field. That job helped me REALLY get back into the swing of things. Why’s that? I was working in a Hobby Distributor warehouse. Every night I had dozens of kits that I wanted to build in my hands. To make things even better, I got an employee discount that let me buy the kits at the same price they were sold to the retailers.

Since that time, I have built, if not finished, models at a pretty steady rate. Two things that fostered my interest in model building even more were joining a model club when I moved to Philadelphia and discovering online outlets to talk with other modelers. I have learned and shared more than I could have ever imagined when I got back into the hobby ten years ago.

And that is why I finally heeded the advice of my modeling friends and checked out things here: to learn and share about all things styrene. I also hang out at the Hobby Heaven Message Board and will log on to PSAB on occasion to chat with my modeling friends. If there are modelers in or near the Philadelphia area with nothing to do on the 1st Friday night of the month, I highly recommend checking out the Philadelphia Area Car Modelers. We are a group of two dozen or so car modelers whose interests cover just about the full spectrum, NASCAR, Hot Rods, Light Commercial, Exotic, Replica Stock etc. Check us out in the club listings section of Model Cars Magazine.

Welcome Jason, I know a lot of you guys in Philly, from Uncle Bobby to Ariel Hernandez, real cool bunch of "Charlatanes", Ariel will translate..... Hope to hear more from you and your projects :wink:

Actually you know me too. We spoke at this year's NNL East. Your Mecury Cyclone was one of my favorite cars at the show, and at the '05 Mamas show. You were giving me building hints for the Porsche Carrera GT. I can remember all of that, but still not know my in-laws birthdays after ten years of marriage. :roll: That was you right? I have got the right guy?

Actually you know me too. We spoke at this year's NNL East. Your Mecury Cyclone was one of my favorite cars at the show, and at the '05 Mamas show. You were giving me building hints for the Porsche Carrera GT. I can remember all of that, but still not know my in-laws birthdays after ten years of marriage. :roll: That was you right? I have got the right guy?

Oh yeah Jason, I know who you were before I posted my welcome message. Just make sure you keep building man, I am having a lot of fun and learning lots of things everyday myself.

Laugh if you will, and all the PACM guys did for minutes on end at the meeting, but it DOES work.

Hey Jason,

'bout time you found this place. I, hopefully, will be relying on three other guys besides myself driving to Toledo so I should not need to resort to the methods you and Lyle so prescribe.

errrr...Let me clarify, that is 3 guys and myself DRIVING to Toledo and doing nothing else...I'll shutup now!

Wow...and they say I ruin a neighborhood. :shock:

Welcom the Forum, man! Good to have ya round!

Ahem...I don 't recall seeing you at the Showdown. Did you not attend?

:oops: Nope I did not make to Super Sept. Showdown, though I was closer to going than in years past.

My daughter's soccer games account for most of every Saturday morning for the rest of the fall; I've made way too many trips to the dentist for a disintegrating tooth; I had one rat trap of a Trans Am shipped from the Midwest; I drove the other former rat trap of a Camaro halfway across PA to complete the sale; and am now engaged in the long arduous task of get the T/A legal to drive.

All this is a very wordy way to say I've been busy and had very little time or money to devote to the little cars. Aside from missing SSS, I am also missing the class trip that all the Philly Guys are taking to the "Big Show in Ohio". That is the second year in a row that I've had to pass on that road trip. I am hoping to reverse the trend by traveling to Atlanta for that show in Nov.

P.S. I will post some pics of the 1:1 cars as soon as I can get my Adobe Fotki issues resolved.