Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer question

Has anyone used the scale finishes super primer? I sprayed it for the first time this morning and it has not dried and feel kind of sticky after about 10 hours of drying today. Sprayed it today with humidity in the 50's. 

I  own it but haven't used it yet had got it free with a order.  I love there paint, but i wont be buying the enamel base again. The base coats are fantastic though perfect for 2K clear coat.  Bought chevy engine orange enamel, and it was still tacky after 3 weeks and that's even after being baked for few hours after first painting. It's actually still tacky as of today too so i don't know what went wrong.  Maybe i sprayed it wrong?  About your question though  never had that issue with any primer I've ever used.

Edited by Dpate

I used some of Scale Finishes Pontiac Blue engine enamel on my ‘64 Pontiac Grand Prix’s engine and had no problems with drying at all, although I have heard of drying issues with the enamel body colors.

Not sure what the problem is, but the engine paint I used was fine.

I plan on using it again on my current ‘64 Bonneville project.

Steve

4 hours ago, grt222 said:

Has anyone used the scale finishes super primer? 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I used some of Scale Finishes Pontiac Blue engine enamel on my ‘64 Pontiac Grand Prix’s engine

Did you used the Scales Finishes primer or not? I suspect the primer is quite different to the regular coloured enamels they produce. 

Never tried any Scale Finishes products as not aware of any UK distributor.

As far as primer goes, I have always used aerosol automotive acrylic primer that always works well for me on my models, so I don't feel the need to faff about with primers through an airbrush.

2 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Sorry @grt222 it looks like no one on here has used the Scale Finishes primer. Although lots have used other primers. I’m sure that’s not very helpful to yourself and your problem. 

Well, I suppose he could contact Scale Finishes and ask them.

It’s their primer after all.

Steve

23 hours ago, grt222 said:

Has anyone used the scale finishes super primer? I sprayed it for the first time this morning and it has not dried and feel kind of sticky after about 10 hours of drying today. Sprayed it today with humidity in the 50's. 

Yes!  I shot some on a Buick Riviera project I'm working on and had the same problem.  It stripped off easily enough but left a sticky residue behind.  Took an overnight in the paint stripper and some work with 600 grit sandpaper to get it all off.

I've used Scale Finishes primer before and it was excellent.  Something's definitely wrong with this batch.  The Chrysler light green enamel finish coat is fine, went on shiny, dried to the touch about as fast as any other enamel but the primer is screwed.  

For the record, low humidity here.  About 72 degrees in the garage where I paint.

Edited by olddude55

22 hours ago, Dpate said:

I  own it but haven't used it yet had got it free with a order.  I love there paint, but i wont be buying the enamel base again. The base coats are fantastic though perfect for 2K clear coat.  Bought chevy engine orange enamel, and it was still tacky after 3 weeks and that's even after being baked for few hours after first painting. It's actually still tacky as of today too so i don't know what went wrong.  Maybe i sprayed it wrong?  About your question though  never had that issue with any primer I've ever used.

Few years ago I ordered couple of Scale Finishes paints (Enamel).  When I did the spoon test they dried, but remained soft. After couple of months I contacted Scale Finishes about the problem and I was given a bottle of hardener.  So it does need a hardener to fully harden.  I found surprising that this was not mentioned anywhere on the website.  At that point both projects were mothballed, so I never actually tested the hardener.  It eventually hardened in the bottle.  This is what I have:

ScaleFinishesHardner.JPG.15cc896ee9341671cd0e0bb66590a57b.JPG

I've used several bottles of Super Primer before the batch that arrived about 10 days ago.  It always smelled and acted like a lacquer primer.  Worked really well.

I've also had great success with Scale Finishes Super Clear enamel.  It dries hard enough to polish the day after it goes on.  

Right now, I'm working on an old Revell '62 Lancer, decided to try Scale Finish enamel instead of lacquer.  The paint dried to the touch faster than, say, Testor's enamel.  Whenever I work with enamel paints,  other than the Super Clear, I let the model sit for a few weeks before I mess with it again.  The Scale Finish enamel color is harder than Testor's would be at this point.  Not tacky in the least, but still not ready for the polishing kit.  Dunno, I consider this normal for most enamels.

The latest batch of Super Primer is another animal entirely.  It went on sticky and stayed sticky.  It was almost like what I'd get if I tried to use Testor's enamel to paint whitewalls on a tire.  Didn't smell like lacquer, didn't act like lacquer.

Later on today, I'm going to shoot an email to Scale Finishes and ask about this.  I don't want a refund, I've done so well with SF product over the last year, just want to alert SF to the problem.

Update:  Got a reply from Jason at Scale Finishes.  He recommends very thin, light coats with ample drying time in between.  At some point, I'll give it another try.  Nothing to lose since it strips off easily.

Edited by olddude55
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, olddude55 said:

I've used several bottles of Super Primer before the batch that arrived about 10 days ago.  It always smelled and acted like a lacquer primer.  Worked really well.

I've also had great success with Scale Finishes Super Clear enamel.  It dries hard enough to polish the day after it goes on.  

Right now, I'm working on an old Revell '62 Lancer, decided to try Scale Finish enamel instead of lacquer.  The paint dried to the touch faster than, say, Testor's enamel.  Whenever I work with enamel paints,  other than the Super Clear, I let the model sit for a few weeks before I mess with it again.  The Scale Finish enamel color is harder than Testor's would be at this point.  Not tacky in the least, but still not ready for the polishing kit.  Dunno, I consider this normal for most enamels.

The latest batch of Super Primer is another animal entirely.  It went on sticky and stayed sticky.  It was almost like what I'd get if I tried to use Testor's enamel to paint whitewalls on a tire.  Didn't smell like lacquer, didn't act like lacquer.

Later on today, I'm going to shoot an email to Scale Finishes and ask about this.  I don't want a refund, I've done so well with SF product over the last year, just want to alert SF to the problem.

Update:  Got a reply from Jason at Scale Finishes.  He recommends very thin, light coats with ample drying time in between.  At some point, I'll give it another try.  Nothing to lose since it strips off easily.

There's better primers available than have to do all that.  

15 hours ago, Dpate said:

There's better primers available than have to do all that.  

Yup.  I picked up some MCW--I have problems controlling aerosol primers, so I prefer using the air brush--and the Scale Finishes stuff will go into the paint box for emergency use only.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, olddude55 said:

Same problem I experienced. My smelled like mineral spirits. Although I probably won't use the primer any more I've used scale finishes paint with no real problems.