Model Cars Magazine Forum

DC Comics 1960's Batmobile: WIP

David G.

21 hours ago, Dirkpitt289 said:

I like the work you've been doing on this build. I really dig the color 

Thanks Dirk, I appreciate your comment.

20 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Beautiful work. That paint is flawless! 

I was at the Desert Classic show and somehow I missed this model.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

Yeah, I saw this one early and grabbed it. It was a little over priced but it was also the only one I've ever seen.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I started painting the interior with Tamiya Light Gunmetal for the steel floor plate. I liked the "steel" seats so much that I wanted to get a photo.

Btmbl_DC_17.jpg.94b772858773af42c28c49ea3a44a4e1.jpg

After several layers of masking and paint, here is the basic interior color scheme. The directions don't call out one specific color for the seats as there is no detailed representation of the interior in the comic. The colors suggested art "Flat Black, Flat Dark Blue, Flat Gray, even Deep Red or Burgundy." 

Btmbl_DC_18.jpg.d626c565a4f085cf0f4805a333db0c54.jpg

I chose to go with a dark red. Given that this is a comic book representation of the Batmobile, I wanted to add a little color but not go overboard with it. I think I'm happy with my choice, I'll know for sure once the figures are painted and seated.

Btmbl_DC_19.jpg.8b13f3ae0a59b8814d4fc5654b799f7e.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Thanks for taking the time to look and always feel free to offer a comment, question or opinion.

David G.

20 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

This is an interesting kit. The body is pure comic book fantasy, but the chassis and suspension are accurate renditions of a '55-'56 Lincoln setup with a Ford FE engine and a C6 transmission, all of which are accurate to the Futura based '66 TV Batmobile.

I know, that fascinates me too Mike. How it was extrapolated from comic book illustrations is one of the things that most impresses me about this kit. And let's face it, comic book illustrations, especially of that era, aren't generally known for their consistency and accuracy.

But it's like I said earlier, just about everything ever built started with a drawing.

1 hour ago, FLHCAHZ said:

The dark red with the steel and black really bring out the "custom"  Looks great!

Thanks Chaz, I wasn't sure if I liked it at first but I'm beginning to think it was the right call.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I got the first coats of paint on "The Batman". Don't worry, I plan to do something about the shine.

Btmbl_DC_20.jpg.4508c35c61fcf2775a8bd8036113be07.jpg

I'll have to make some adjustments to the way his arms fit but it looks like the Ol' Caped Crusader will slide in behind the wheel quite nicely. Wait, what's this? Commissioner Gordon is on the viewscreen... upside down! 

Btmbl_DC_21.jpg.9e2c0e33281a899c4e887140aeca4455.jpg

Ooops! I wasn't paying attention when I placed the decal on the viewscreen and got it the wrong way about. That's OK, I think I can fix it.

Btmbl_DC_22.jpg.5b36aa44321bc33c1449ee2e04400a28.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo
  • Like 2

Hello Everybody!

After several attempts and way more time than I wanted to spend, this is the result.

Obviously I didn't have a replacement decal so I took a photo of the one on the dashboard and printed out a copy. I then removed the original, cleaned everything up and reapplied... three times. The Tamiya X-22 clear I used over the print-outs seems to interact with the printer ink causing the image to darken. I finally found a workable combination of drying time, clear coat and print stock that worked well enough.

I also got the beacon done too.

Btmbl_DC_23.jpg.2a3b8f935771a457542ad1912447ad95.jpg

Here is The Boy Wonder with some of his basic color coats.

Btmbl_DC_24.jpg.a1787fdc33777b1f670ca1f7240f8bbe.jpg

Of course, we need to do a test fit for the seating arrangements.

Btmbl_DC_25.jpg.cf059d2d267647e2f983ee8a53c71984.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for taking the time to look. Of course, the invitation to participate through discussion is always open.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Not much of an update today but hopefully I'll have more soon.

There are two chrome bumper pods that attach to the rear of the car. Unfortunately, the sprue attachment points on the rear bumper pods were on the top and outboard sides leaving noticeable scars in very visible areas so I stripped the chrome and smoothed them down.

Why do designers do this? 😕 

Btmbl_DC_26.jpg.06ef8663708496f21e3e0dcede75205f.jpg

A quick shot with some Dupli-Color Chrome paint has them looking like cast aluminium. Good enough for my purposes.

Btmbl_DC_27.jpg.e7b94842858d042edde5f3eb43f866ef.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

Good save on the tail pods, it seems more proper for a Batmobile anyway. I think body color would look acceptable, too, and may try that when I get around to mine. You're about ready to button this one up, it would appear. Very nice work so far on a fun kit.

17 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Good save on the tail pods, it seems more proper for a Batmobile anyway. I think body color would look acceptable, too, and may try that when I get around to mine. You're about ready to button this one up, it would appear. Very nice work so far on a fun kit.

Thank you for the compliment Rusty.

I hadn't thought to paint those pods in the same color as the body, that would have worked too. Then maybe do up the central sections as tail lights, similar to a '59 Cadillac. Though I think the brightness of the pods creates a good visual balance with the large dark fins and steeply sloping trunk lid.

Thanks again for your comment, I appreciate your input.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

The figures are finished. Though now that I see the photos, I notice some things that could do with just a little more attention. But for now, they're done.

Btmbl_DC_29a.jpg.d056c87c2950de1f8261771949e078cc.jpg

The Dynamic Duo is ready for a night of crime fighting!  Unfortunately, the car is still in the shop.

Btmbl_DC_30.jpg.9080488b6fc309cef4ea281d3cc0941d.jpg

I should have this one done soon.

As always, thanks for taking a look and please feel free to post a comment or two.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

This one is completed. As soon as I get some photos, I'll post them in the Under Glass section. 
In the meantime, here is a test-fit photo that really captures the color.

Btmbl_DC_31.jpg.157a440fba2925701b1c51a1fe710a94.jpg

As always, thanks to everyone for their comments and encouragements. I always enjoy the feedback.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo
  • Like 1