Model Cars Magazine Forum

74" cab IH Transtar 4070A

I just finished this one. I didn't want a standard day cab or a regular cab and I found pics on the web of a couple of 74"-cab Transtars that I thought were cool. I shortened the cab, which was a little more involved than a typical job since on the full cab the window opening and tool box door are offset. I opened up the side and rear windows, and the chassis is also shortened. I highly-recommend this kit if you have "builder's block" as it's really nice to build.

20220605_120842.jpg

20220605_120913.jpg

20220605_120929.jpg

20220605_120946.jpg

20220605_121127.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome job on creating a very unique version of the 4070a. I like it.

I’m also curious what the “extended cab” was used for, as I’d call it. I’d like to think extra room for storage, but not practical with a cab that tilts, I’d imagine. Not much room for a bed, and not ideal anyway with all the windows. A couple folding jump seats for crew?

Edited by vincen47

On 6/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, vincen47 said:

Awesome job on creating a very unique version of the 4070a. I like it.

I’m also curious what the “extended cab” was used for, as I’d call it. I’d like to think extra room for storage, but not practical with a cab that tilts, I’d imagine. Not much room for a bed, and not ideal anyway with all the windows. A couple folding jump seats for crew?

I think it was for the storage boxes not offered on the usual day cabs and they had no need of a sleeper. The ones I saw had a shelf all the way across behind the seats.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man! You beat me to it!😀 I have had one of these planned for a few months, but haven’t been able to get to my workbench for a couple of months. A few questions; do you have any progress photos? Did you delete the passenger tool box? How did you work around the driver’s toolbox? Did you finish it with a bed or just a cargo area behind the seat?

You did an excellent job on this one! I like it!