Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '53 Corvette Snapper--A Delay In The Proceedings--07/06/2022

Straightliner59

I've had the idea to build one of these, for a while. Trouble was, I would get it out, swap around some wheels and tires, and nothing would quite "get" me. A couple of weeks back, I ran across a solitary '62 Catalina wheel. I put it in an old AMT NASCAR tire, and...there was what I had been looking for. I made a mold of the wheel, and cast up a set (the first couple, I mixed metal powders into the resin, just to see what would happen. There are likely at least a couple more metal powders in my future!). I figure that an innovative car guy could make them work on a 'Vette. Next, I fiddled around getting the ride height. That's where I like it, now.

I used the disassembled "promo's" molded headlight to burnish the ring that holds the deflector screen in place. I then drilled open the center, and carefully finished opening it with a round diamond file (highly recommended tool!) I cut a piece of brass screen, and curved it in a doming block. Now, to make another ring! I opened the headlight tunnels. Headlights will be made up of components including a lens, reflector, etc. I drilled the taillights, and inserted a blue MV lens into each. I found the scoop in my parts boxes and think it looks right at home, on this car. I replaced the crossbar on the bumper riser with plastic rod. I haven't yet decided whether i will use just the bumperettes on the corners, or no bumpers, at all. I'm thinking that I will go with satin to semi-gloss black, for the body, and a medium, kind of primer-colored grey, for the interior. I really want to concentrate my efforts on the interior. The work I've seen here, especially from a couple of Steves--Guthmiller and Boutte--is really an inspiration! I don't expect I'll achieve their standards, but I hope to head in that direction.

I plan to add a couple of simple roll loops, behind the seats. I will probably open the grille up, and add some radiator wall detail behind it. I haven't yet decided whether I'll go with sidepipes or under-the-car exhaust system. I'm open to suggestions, on a lot of this, but, a vision is definitely forming. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I've started messing around with the interior. It's all painted with the same Krylon red I used on the Supermod. This time, with a flat clear coat over it. I used India ink on the seats to create something of a mottled look to them, and to deepen the pleats in the inserts. The real car has white stitching in those pleats and those on the door. It's rather prominent. I think I can simulate that with a white Prismacolor pencil. Its effect can be seen on the test seat, in front of the model's seats. I drilled the holes for door "knobs". Model railroad rivets will serve as the knobs--a touch of white glue, or super glue will round them out. I plan on using black embossing powder for carpeting. I am "changing" the trans over to a four-speed, so I will make a cover for the void left by the three-speed shifter, and put a new one a tad farther back on the tunnel. I'm making knobs and photo reproduced white-faced gauges for the dash. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

444_p23_l.jpg

444_p29_l.jpg

444_p36_l.jpg

I got one of the wheels done, except for the silver Prismacolor, down the edge of each rib (it's since been done). I used a punch I made from 1/32" brass tube to punch the tiny discs that cover the lugs. I printed Corvette badges for the wheel centers. I'm happy with the way the wheel looks. Now, just three to go! I have most of the large interior components painted--still a way to go, on that front, though. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 1

Here are two of the wheels/tires completed, alongside two that have only been painted. I used a Scotch Brite pad, coned, and kind of shoved through the center of the tire, so that I could easily spin the tire, dulling the finish. I wanted to be sure I got a shot that illustrated the difference between the two "finishes". I added a drop of Floquil Crystal-Cote to the center of each wheel, to return the shine to them, after shooting Dullcote over the wheels (only).I really like the way these turned out! Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Curbside Snapper 06/18/22
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Curbside Snapper 06/19/22

Okay...I got the wheels and tires mounted to the chassis, and the pipes hung. I used Tamiya's engine/exhaust weathering set. I've used it on a few projects, now. I haven't found anything else that accomplishes the effects, it does. Great stuff! The pipes are essentially sidepipes that run along behind the rocker panels. I have some solder that happens to be 1/8". I'll use it to run the pipes up and out of sight. The roll bars are solder, as well. I'm trying to decide about the paint. I have a couple of ideas. The screen I am using for the headlights is from an old Brita on-tap filter. It's got a fine-wire, and fairly open mesh. The headlight screen bezels are going to be tricky. Given the proper-sized brass tube (1/2"), I can make a pair of punches to cut them from tooling aluminum, but, I am waiting on the tubing. I think, as Rusty said, that the wheels give it a real badass look! I like it. I'll probably work on the interior, next. I have white gauges printed, and drew a custom speedometer in white. As always, comments, critiques and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Curbside Snapper 06/22/22

I got the 1/2" tubing I was waiting on. I made a pair of punches from 1/2" and 3/8" tubing, then formed them to elliptical shapes. I punched this bezel from duct tape. I will make the finished ones from tooling aluminum. I trip to the doming block will smooth the wrinkles, and give them a slight curve. I think this'll work, just fine!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Curbside Snapper 06/25/22

I got the headlights sorted. I will grind away the rear of the tunnels, before any paint goes on the body. A bit more trimming and fitting, and the screen will be perfectly fitted. I punched the screen bezel from tooling aluminum, using homemade punches, then shaped it with a doming block. I turned the headlight ring on the lathe. It was a tight squeeze, getting that in. Everything except the headlight "tunnel" (I still have to do all of this, for the other side) is only white glued in place, and will be fine tuned into position, upon final assembly. Questions, comments an critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0030cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Snapper--Headlights 06/26/22
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Snapper--Headlights; What A Pair! 06/27/22

I am awaiting some items to arrive, for this project, but, there's still plenty I can do. I remade the exhaust, and got it hung. I've been working on little items for the interior, like the door handles (knobs), and the switches for the spartan interior. I am thinking I'll make the switches for the lights, main power and fuel pump resemble the factory switches/knobs, in white, red and yellow, respectively. I'm blocking off the radio and heat controls. I opened the grille, but I nicked the face with the Dremel (DOH!), so I have another kit on the way. I also am getting some stainless steel screen for the headlights. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of it, back on the wheels. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.JPG

DSC_0021cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '53 Corvette Snapper--A Delay In The Proceedings--07/06/2022