Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Daytone 500 Winner

Bill J

Wood Brother's 1968 Daytona 600 winner. Resin 68 "W" nose body, Polar Lights chassis. Two 4-barrel manifold from 60 Ford Starliner kit, carbs by Fireball Modelworks. This engine block was a 3D printed piece and is a little taller than the PL 427 engine, which causes a bit of interference with the hood!  Always something!

zj8LqsT.jpg
hJY1nFc.jpg
2FvEYSj.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 5:27 AM, james220 said:

Bill great work on that. I'm wanting to do that car but finding a 2x4 manifold isn't the easiest of things. What manifold did you use. 

I first used a 2x4 manifold from the 66 Galxie kit. I had the whole thing together I noticed the carbs interfered with the hood. I popped the manifild off and used the 2x4 manifild from the AMT 60 Starliner custom kit. The manifold is only in the "custom" Starliner kit.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:25 AM, Bill J said:

I first used a 2x4 manifold from the 66 Galxie kit. I had the whole thing together I noticed the carbs interfered with the hood. I popped the manifild off and used the 2x4 manifild from the AMT 60 Starliner custom kit. The manifold is only in the "custom" Starliner kit.

Very nice work!

Did they run 2-4 barrels in 1968? I thought they were single carb. 

1 hour ago, fairlane1320 said:

Very nice work!

Did they run 2-4 barrels in 1968? I thought they were single carb. 

NASCAR allowed the Fords to run 2 four barrel carbs in 1967 and 1968. In 1969 they went back to a single carb, which is when the Holley Dominator carb came along and the Boss 429 engines. The Daytona winner in 1969 was a Ford with a 427 and a single four barrel. The Boss 429 was not allowed until the 69 Atlnata race.