Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty 1964 Plymouth Belvedere

magicmustang

Had this one in my stash for decades. A Johan (molded in green) Richard Petty 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. Painted many years ago but never assembled because of that (promo style molded in mufflers, tailpipes, drive shaft, rear axle, springs and shocks) chassis.

Well, I finally decided to cut off the back of the JoHan chassis at the transmission mount and add an MPC DOH Charger frame (of which I have many) bottom to it, cut off at the rear torsion bar mounts. Painted in Testors rattle can "Petty Racing Blue", scratch built air intake and front suspension, added drive shaft/rear axle/springs and shocks. The Johan decals shattered in warm water (they were very old) so I used a replacement set from Power Line. Glad to have it done.  

Richard Petty 1964 Plymouth Daytona.jpg

Petty 1964 Plymouth box & paint.JPG

Petty 1964 Plymouth June 2022 (2).JPG

Petty 1964 Plymouth engine June 2022.JPG

Petty 1964 Plymouth rear  June 2022.JPG

Petty 1964 Plymouth Johan frame.JPG

Petty 1964 Plymouth under June 2022.JPG

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

Looks great.

Thanks for including your solution to the original chassis. Exact same chassis is included with the JoHan '64 Dodge, which I want to use to build the principal car driven by David Pearson to the '66 title (took nine of his 15 wins in it that season).

16 hours ago, Johnny Canuck said:

Looks great.

Thanks for including your solution to the original chassis. Exact same chassis is included with the JoHan '64 Dodge, which I want to use to build the principal car driven by David Pearson to the '66 title (took nine of his 15 wins in it that season).

Thanks.

Alot of modelers on this forum have used the AMT '69 Plymouth GTX/'68 Plymouth Road Runner chassis/suspension as a replacement for the Johan promo style one. It's well detailed and a close fit.

Edited by magicmustang

On 6/13/2022 at 1:40 PM, Johnny Canuck said:

Looks great.

Redid my Johan '70 Petty Superbird doing the same chassis parts swap as my '64 Belvedere. 

Edited by magicmustang

• 1 month later...