Model Cars Magazine Forum

A/SR (mid-1960's Altered Street Roadster) full detail model kitbash

tim boyd

Here are some images of the 1960's era A/SR model I built about 15 or so years ago.  The build was the subject of a two-part article in what at that time was the "other" model car magazine.  These photos reflect some after-the-fact refinements and additions to the model that took place after the magazine article appeared.  It was also very similar in appearance and concept to a model build near the same time (but before my article appeared) by the highly talented Dennis Caudell of Indiana (you may recall seeing pictures of the two models posted together in coverage of one of the NNL Nationalls events). 

Enjoy the pix....and will be happy to answer any questions if I can remember the specifics of the project all these years later :)!     Best....TIM 

PS - the upcoming Revell reissue with revisions of the old Stacey '32 Roadster tool would be a great starting point for a project like this, and it would eliminate a number of time-consuming steps I had to take on my model project.  

DSC 0290

DSC 0293

DSC 0288

DSC 0325

DSC 0331

DSC 1259

DSC 0323🚗

PS - I found it!  Here's a picture of Dennis Caudell's A/SR model pictured next to mine.  Remember, he built his before my article appeared in the mag.  Note the many similarities!   TB 

DSC 0752

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Once again, your outstanding builds raise questions.  I like the fuel pressure gauge on the cowl, but why the (appear to be) partially cut off windshield posts?  Wouldn’t they have normally been just taken off completely?   Don’t the rules require a hood (though the sides can be removed) ?  Does the car have a tach?  The card on the right says AA/SR.  Does this apply to the other gentleman’s car as this would be a supercharged car?  Do you have any more pictures of the other car?  The headers appear to be fender well type.  Did you scratch build or are they off a Super Stock type car?  I very much appreciate your posts on this forum.

4 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Once again, your outstanding builds raise questions.  I like the fuel pressure gauge on the cowl, but why the (appear to be) partially cut off windshield posts?  Wouldn’t they have normally been just taken off completely?   Don’t the rules require a hood (though the sides can be removed) ?  Does the car have a tach?  The card on the right says AA/SR.  Does this apply to the other gentleman’s car as this would be a supercharged car?  Do you have any more pictures of the other car?  The headers appear to be fender well type.  Did you scratch build or are they off a Super Stock type car?  I very much appreciate your posts on this forum.

Ron...here you go. 

I believe the gauge on the cowl was intended to be a tach.  (It was wired so I can verity next time I dig out the model).  Hoods were typically run on drag racing Street Roadsters but I'm not completely clear on whether they were required during all years depicted here.  I based my model on a number of real cars; some ran with the windshield posts and I thought that was a cool detail to add to my project.  My car was an A/SR as it did not have a blower; I believe Dennis' car was blown, so depending on the engine size, his would have been either AA/SR or BB/SR.  So the sign is not correct for my car.  (Oops, you know how it is when people are lined up behind you and you are trying to put your models on the table....).  Unfortunately, I believe I only have one other image of Dennis' car and it is from a similar angle, but i will go look and see if there are any more.   The headers are adapted from the Mopar B-Body fenderwell headers, tweaked to match up to the different exhaust port spacing of the 427 FE engine.  The model as originally completed and shown in the mag had zoomie ground duster headers, but those were more typical for blower cars while carbed engines typically ran headers with collectors.  At the time I was making additional tweaks to this car, I was still working 13+ hours a day with very frequent overseas travel and those were the best ones I could in my pars box given the time I had available to look.  If I were building it today, i would most likely go a different route (but still with headers and collectors), to avoid any confusion with Super Stockers or a header design so closely associated with Mopar.  

Great questions, thanks for giving me a chance to answer them!  Cheers....TIM 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Thanks so much for replying.  In this pic the hose appears to go to the fuel block, so, let’s call it a fuel pressure gauge.  One of the dash gauges is probably a tach, ok?  Seriously, great work, and thanks for sharing.

some

Ron, sure looks that way on the gauge.  Still need to dig it out and make sure.   Thanks for the compliment, too.  o 

Meanwhile, found some more images with Dennis' car....it too is non-supercharged, it turns out...  Looks like an injected Nailhead, no less!  And that would, of course, also make it an A/SR....  DSC 0530 

DSC 0529

DSC 0762

DSC 0763

Best....tB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Caudell’s model has some interesting features:  injector ball plugs; head rest; weathered parachute; nice formed tonneau (seat) cover, etc.  But, the most interesting thing, to me, is whitewall tires on the inside on the driver’s side, and, on the outside, on the passenger side.  Either that, or, whitewalls inside and out?

3 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Mr. Caudell’s model has some interesting features:  injector ball plugs; head rest; weathered parachute; nice formed tonneau (seat) cover, etc.  But, the most interesting thing, to me, is whitewall tires on the inside on the driver’s side, and, on the outside, on the passenger side.  Either that, or, whitewalls inside and out?

Ron...my guess is WWalls both sides....not very many things slip by Dennis....he's a really accomplished/knowledgeable builder in my view.... 

BTW, one of the things I liked best about the NNL Nats - especially the earliest ones (1980-85 or so) - was the practice of displaying two models of the same automotive topic side by side and then doing comparisons just like the one you did here.  Cool Stuff!''

Thx again for the observations....TB 

• Thanks 1

Ron, you were right all along....

DSC 0441

Adding a fuel pressure gauge is not in my usual repertoire of tricks when building a detailed drag racing model engine compartment, so it may have been inspired by studying some of my 1/1 scale references - particularly the Hugh Tucker and "Rudy's Beauty" cars....  Thanks again for your insights and comments. ..TIM  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I like the “zoomies” in this new picture, even though they would not be as historically accurate on an unblown car, of course.  Evidently, the Eelco style gas pedal was “de rigueuer” in that time as it was also used on the replica I am currently working on (albeit, stalled at this time, for a number of reasons).  Thank you for your prompt and informative replies.

E944484D-234D-40A6-A6CA-D8426238B3FD.jpeg

29709E9F-7DF6-4BDF-8906-263598EB5544.jpeg

693BC6DF-AA2B-46D7-AE23-2A2A60DE9DF7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Great model, do I detect a nod to the Cobra in the paint scheme and dual quad 427 up front?  Well done I like it!

Ian....no nods intended but interesting that you see that link.  Maybe it was active in my subconscious as I build the car???   Thanks for the comments...TB 

On 7/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, Dave Armstrong said:

That's just a great build, love everything about it, and the color just rocks! BTW, where did you get the rear fenders?

Dave...I seem to recall the rear fenders coming from the Revell '32 Street Rod series (probably the three or five window Coupe kits), although they were cut down in a manner similar to the real cars that inspired the model.  I don't have time right now to check for sure, but I think this was covered in some detail in the two-part article feature on the car in the other model magazine about 10-12 years ago or so.  

And thanks for the comments!  TB