Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Coupe

Zippi

I did a couple mock ups to see what engine I'm going to use.  The Ford 312 "Y" block (Blue) engine is really tall while the Chevy 396 BB sets a little better.  Both would require a lot of cutting on the frame and cross member to get the hood closed.  I'm now looking at one of the two blocks that came with the kit.  

20220625_082032.jpg

20220625_082243.jpg

5 hours ago, espo said:

Looking good. The Y Block engine, did you turn the oil pan around to see if it would clear with the sump in the rear ? 

I did not.  Already had the engine together.

37 minutes ago, bill-e-boy said:

Paint is looking good Bob

With the BB Chev and the boat anchor (Y-Block) you would need to cut the firewall to get them in - OOPS! you have very nicely painted the coupe

You may be right.  This will take some coffee in the morning and a little more thinking.

I got out in the garage this morning to make a decision on a clear coat or not.  I made an executive decision to just polish the paint like I did on my 30 Ford Coupe since it came out nice.  The paint almost has a metallic look to it depending on the light.  Comments welcome on my decision.    

20220626_091926.jpg

20220626_091948.jpg

20220626_092000.jpg

20220626_092028.jpg

Edited by Zippi

14 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thats a great color as well a the finish. I like the BB Chevy look but I'm with you on the major mods.... I've never been very  successful doing too much.

Thanks Buddy.  Yeah, I decided to use the short block of the Buick engine that came in the kit with a dual quad setup I found in the parts box.  

Edited by Zippi

I love the color. I think it turned out great. I would definitely clear coat it tho. first it would bring more depth to it and make it even richer. It would definitely be shinier, which with a color like that is the way to go and last, but not least it would give it protection in more ways than one. Including during assembly. That's just my vote. Either way you decide to go, I think it is a great model headed in the right direction. 

51 minutes ago, mrm said:

I love the color. I think it turned out great. I would definitely clear coat it tho. first it would bring more depth to it and make it even richer. It would definitely be shinier, which with a color like that is the way to go and last, but not least it would give it protection in more ways than one. Including during assembly. That's just my vote. Either way you decide to go, I think it is a great model headed in the right direction. 

Thanks man.  I appreciate it.

Looks good, Bob!  The Tamiya paint is great and I use it almost exclusively now for bodies.  The only reason I use a clear is to protect the painted edges while I am rubbing out the paints.  But since you have successfully  rubbed it out you don't need it!  Good work! 😎

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Good call on the polish Bob, it looks great.

David G.

Thanks Dave.  I think it came out pretty nice.

13 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

Looks good, Bob!  The Tamiya paint is great and I use it almost exclusively now for bodies.  The only reason I use a clear is to protect the painted edges while I am rubbing out the paints.  But since you have successfully  rubbed it out you don't need it!  Good work! 😎

Thanks.  I appreciate the comments.  

I got the engine wired this morning and did a mock up to see how things are fitting.  I ended up using the short block from the Buick engine that came in the kit.  I found a dual carb setup with a low profile intake that fits and will allow me to close the hood.  The 312 "Y" block and the 396 BB I test fitted were just to tall.  I did not want to cut a hole in the hood.  Still have some detail work to do on the engine and engine bay but things are looking good.  

20220626_124258.jpg

20220627_120549.jpg

20220627_120557.jpg

20220627_120604.jpg

Edited by Zippi