Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Cadillac 1959

happy grumpy

I remember back when I was a boy, There was a doctor who had a 59 caddy. We did not see Cadillacs often in my small village back then. I was impressed by the car but scared of the doctor. This kit is great, it builds into a nice model. Paint is Tamiya pearl green coated with TS13. BMF for the trim as the decals were too matt to be useful.

thanks for having a look.

cadillac eldorado 1959 08.jpg

cadillac eldorado 1959 09.jpg

cadillac eldorado 1959 10.jpg

cadillac eldorado 1959 11.jpg

cadillac eldorado 1959 12.jpg

cadillac eldorado 1959 13.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

So smooth and attractive! There was a brand new pale yellow one in my neighborhood occasionally. Thanks for the memories.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

That is a great looking barge ! Nice work !

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Alright boys....we have a looked here.  Dang Mario, that is just a good looking model.  Really well done and that green just pops.  I really like this one.  Nice job.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Beautiful job on that Caddy kit. Love that Tamiya pearl green. Well done.

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

Great job on the foil and paint!  The ultimate fin car.

51 minutes ago, ea0863 said:

Sweet build! The only thing is the car looks 1:25th scale, and the wings look like 1:18 :) 

28 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Nice.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

That is just perfect. I opened that kit seen the decals and said " BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH" the body trim decals are weak looking. That BMF had to be a pain. I had the same idea then stuck back in the stash and said maybe later. Do you have any hints for your BMF work?

29 minutes ago, TNT said:

That is just perfect. I opened that kit seen the decals and said " BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH" the body trim decals are weak looking. That BMF had to be a pain. I had the same idea then stuck back in the stash and said maybe later. Do you have any hints for your BMF work?

thanks Anthony, my only advice i can give you is have a fresh supply of BMF, I use the original stuff not the new improve chrome I find it very difficult to conform to the body. the most important thing is to have a brand new blade. In a way I find it easier when the trim is large it is easier to handle. If you can practice on discarded body it sure would help. Even after all those years, I still have the jitters every time I have to do it but once I start , I ease up and then it just gets easier as I get " in the groove". Hope this helps and good luck with your BMF future project.

cheers

13 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

thanks Anthony, my only advice i can give you is have a fresh supply of BMF, I use the original stuff not the new improve chrome I find it very difficult to conform to the body. the most important thing is to have a brand new blade. In a way I find it easier when the trim is large it is easier to handle. If you can practice on discarded body it sure would help. Even after all those years, I still have the jitters every time I have to do it but once I start , I ease up and then it just gets easier as I get " in the groove". Hope this helps and good luck with your BMF future project.

cheers

Thanks. I have done BMF  just not such a large piece. I figured i would copy the decals, cut them out, then trace them on the back of the foil. Then getting propper placement would be a issue. 

Beautiful looking paint finish and the color looks period correct even if it may not be. Impressive looking foil trim. I always like your studio photography. My '59 Caddy memory has to do with a young lady whose parents had a baby blue Coupe de Ville.  

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Beautiful build Mario, love the color combination.

The fifth photo (rear 3/4 oblique near the stairs) has a great viewpoint angle and lighting, giving it a nice dramatic feel and good visual interest.

David G.

Thanks David. Photographing models is almost a hobby on it's own for me.I enjoy it as much as building.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint finish and the color looks period correct even if it may not be. Impressive looking foil trim. I always like your studio photography. My '59 Caddy memory has to do with a young lady whose parents had a baby blue Coupe de Ville.  

Thanks David, Personally, I feel a deep connection to cars from the 50's and the 60's, the golden age of automobile, I suspect I'm not the only one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice model, Mario - a different color that suits it well, perfect foiling and the photography with these cool backgrounds is your trademark, anyway !

Thanks Helmut. Taking these photos is just as fun as building models. I use many of my pictures as a slideshow on my computer and I fooled many into thinking they were real cars. 😉

40 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Mario, another masterpiece.  Just gorgeous!!  I think the '59 Coupe DeVille may be the most beautiful Caddy built.

Thanks Mike, it certainly did a big impression on me when I saw one, these were pretty rare back then where I lived. The 50' were truly about no holds barred styling.