Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Scale Is Too Small For Model Contests?

While reading the thread about what scale is too large for model contests, it occurred to me that an equally pressing question that should be seriously addressed is how small is TOO small?

The 3D-nanoprinted F1 racing car shown below is just .011" long. OMG!!! This is so unfair to modelers who don't have access to scanning electron microscopes and micro-3D laser printing technology.        https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17357374

The world's smallest model car / Boing Boing

• Like 1

How about a motorized 1:1000 scale Toyoda AA?

https://japanesenostalgiccar.com/the-worlds-smallest-car-is-a-toyota-aa/

In all seriousness, there are some nice etched brass 1:160 kits that I have seen built very cleanly.  I've had thoughts of detailing the tiny trophy topper that came with Revell's Mercury custom.  🙂

If someone can built microscopic models, let 'em.  It would at least be entertaining for the rest of us.  🙂

• Like 1

I've entered 1:160 (model train's N scale) models in small scale categories in contests (and placed in the top 3).  I actually had tiny "NO SNEEZING" signs posted by the model (as a joke).  This is one of the models (Photoetched brass kit by Micron Art).

15_FordT_01_800.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/18/2022 at 5:30 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Maybe just ban anyone who shows sign of excess ability.  Just so nobody has their sense of self worth jostled, of course.

Model car contests used to be to encourage people to get into the hobby, and build model cars.  During the MPC series in the late 60s, and 70s the sponsor started to become disenchanted when the same few people won most of the contests.  They solved that by establishing a “pro class”.  Anyone who made a portion of their living building models was ineligible for “Best in Show”.  They could compete against each other for the “Best Pro” award.  Seems like those that qualify for that award would be happy to show that their work stood out against the best of the best, but they were the ones who complained the loudest.  What satisfaction is there in beating someones work that everyone already acknowledges is inferior to yours?

TS

• Thanks 1

I realize that I’m straying from topic here, but I sense that the topic is a little tongue in cheek, so here goes.  Why bother to enter contests at all, if you don’t expect to, or at least hope to win something?  The original founders of the NNL style shows intended for them to be a gathering of builders and models, meant to facilitate conversation, and exchange of ideas in a non competitive (ego) environment.  Some people had a hard time doing away with the competitive aspect, so they decided (somewhat grudgingly for some) to have a “people’s choice award”, which is really only a popularity contest since everyone can vote.  Most of those that are frequent contest winners admit that they usually put considerably more effort into builds that they are doing for those contests, than those that they are building just for display.

TS

• Like 1

It was a joke, I’m not speaking for anyone. FIFY is fixed it for you, on boards it changes a statement for cynical or humorous purposes. 
Ego is polar opposite of “everyone gets prize”. Lots of stellar builders are humble and open to stuff not in their lane. Some aren’t. They’re the issue imho. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, foghorn62 said:

I realize that I’m straying from topic here, but I sense that the topic is a little tongue in cheek, so here goes.  Why bother to enter contests at all, if you don’t expect to, or at least hope to win something?  The original founders of the NNL style shows intended for them to be a gathering of builders and models, meant to facilitate conversation, and exchange of ideas in a non competitive (ego) environment.  Some people had a hard time doing away with the competitive aspect, so they decided (somewhat grudgingly for some) to have a “people’s choice award”, which is really only a popularity contest since everyone can vote.  Most of those that are frequent contest winners admit that they usually put considerably more effort into builds that they are doing for those contests, than those that they are building just for display.

TS

Good points.

On the point of having to win a trophy. A club I belong was doing an annual contest. Problem was getting enough judges and the cost of trophies. I'd have experience when I lived in Santa Clara with the NNL west. Was flatly told that it wouldn't work because there were many that wouldn't come because there were no trophies.

Also when all of the aftermarket parts became available there were some grumbled that they couldn't afford big bucks on parts. That's why the bos stock classes were created for many contests. Contest promoters  need to adapt to create classes to enough builder to participate.