Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Firebird Ram Air

espo

This is the Revell '68 Firebird Ram Air kit painted Tamiya TS-21 Gold and TS-13 Clear. The only body modifications were to open the hoods ram air intakes and the cowl vent and add a screen behind the open grill. The suspension is slightly lowered in front and added the kits slapper bars in the rear. The interior is painted Tamiya TS-68 Wood Deck Tan and TS-80 Flat Clear. Did a little painted wood trim on the dash center and steering wheel. The floor has color matched flocking for carpet. I left out the console and made a surround for the floor shifter. The wheels and tires are the options in the kit and has the slicks for the rear.

IMG_1736 (2).jpg

IMG_1737 (2).jpg

IMG_1738 (2).jpg

IMG_1741 (2).jpg

IMG_1734 (2).jpg

• Like 4

On 6/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Well done! Nice job on the interior and that's a great color combo.

Thank you Craig. The color is meant to be close to a color that was often seen on GM products at that time. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:57 PM, Smitty said:

You did a beautiful job on this bird David. I’m impressed by how well the hood and the front bumper line up. 
I like your interior work too. That flocking layed down really nicely.

Thanks Eric, the fit is actually built into the kit as it went together with only the tail panel being the only body fitment issue. 

20 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Love that model year, you did it justice. I like the color and the subtle side stripe.

I wouldn't normally do the stripes on most of my builds, but had a friend years ago who had a Firebird RA with the stripes and so I used the stripe that were on the decal sheet.   

That's a nice looking Firebird David! The color suits it really well and the painted spokes on the wheels makes a big difference! I have this kit. But, never have done anything more than look through the parts. Yours makes me want to give it a closer look.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That's a nice looking Firebird David! The color suits it really well and the painted spokes on the wheels makes a big difference! I have this kit. But, never have done anything more than look through the parts. Yours makes me want to give it a closer look.

The kit turned out even better than I thought it would. As you may have seen there is the option of a super charger along with a flat hood with a cut out for the blower. That engine has a nice set of headers but with Stright side exit exhaust as an option.   I also like the look of the spokes painted but the chromed look would work depending on the color and style of your build. The only problem area that I delt with was the rear taillight panel. There are a couple of mounting points on the bottom side of the trunk lid and they want to have the bottom glue to the chassis. I felt that I got a better mounting with a small L shaped mount glued inside the rear quarters as well. The shape of the panel and the quarters is a little dodgy and this is why I painted the tail panel black as it helps cover the seem and I think it looks good anyway. I didn't use the raiser blocks for the rear leaf springs as the slicks just do clear without and the stance you see is what I was after anyway. 

Very nice clean build David. I’m always scared of trying a gold paint job, they can look really good or just “meh”. Yours looks fantastic, and really suits the car. The flocking in the interior is very well done. Nice to see you building sir!

Cheers, Steve 

• Like 1