Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brockway 457 Garbage Truck

Starting the next build.  The cab is from AITM, the Leach packer body is from Doug Wagner at Keystone.  I think I'll use the Freightliner COE DD chassis, won't know for sure until I get it put together.  Engine will be a Detroit 6, not sure which one yet, maybe a 6V92 or a 6-71.  I'll build up both and see which one fits better.  Wheels and tires are still up in the air, probably 22".  I've skinned the visible flat panels on the packer body as it's easier than many coats of primer and days of sanding.

P1030510.jpg

P1030511.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

This will be really cool does it have the blade in the back

Yes, the packer body comes with the front bulkhead that pushes the garbage out, hyd pistons, and 2 piece rear packer blade.  Back lifts up to empty.  I'll have more pics as it goes along.

6 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Looking forward to this ! 

Picked out your color scheme yet ? I only ask cause I wanted to beat Dan asking lol

LOL!  The Leach will be white.  Most of them were white, kept the heat gain down and therefore the smell.  The cab will likely be turquoise.  I could do white and it would match most of the trucks from this area but I want something a little different.  Green is possible, but I can't seem to find the green I like.  The Park Green on the roll-off container doesn't seem right for the cab.

1 hour ago, Mopar - D said:

You guys beat me to my paint question lol. Either turquoise or green cab will look good. I agree that the Frightliner is a good donor for this one. 

I was a little concerned the frame might be too short, but as it gets built, I think it will be fine.  I picked up a KW Aerodyne frame but it's way too long at 13".

I'm leaning toward the DD 6-71.  I have one from Gary Wallace and it's mostly together.  I left the front crossmember off the frame for now, need to see where the engine will land.  I think the straight 6 will fit better than the V6.  Yes, it sticks out the back but it seems to fit well under the cab and interior.

I'm leaning toward the turquoise as the green is too close to the Waste Management colors.

Edited by Warren D

Great project Warren! I built one of these with a 6-71 in it some time ago. I started with the Mack frame and changed out the rear suspension and axels. I like your engine choice! This will be a cool build! If I remember correctly from my research when I built mine, the 357 had the inline engine and the 359 had the “V” engine. Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

8 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Great project Warren! I built one of these with a 6-71 in it some time ago. I started with the Mack frame and changed out the rear suspension and axels. I like your engine choice! This will be a cool build! If I remember correctly from my research when I built mine, the 357 had the inline engine and the 359 had the “V” engine. Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Thanks for the info!  I still need to decide on the wheels/tires.

Back to work on the packer.  I found a complete set of spokes front and rears that I got from Jamie over a year ago.  Have the tires as well, 22's which should look good.  I have to find a fuel tank from the parts box, probably from one of the Autocar kits as I use them as bases for most of the Brockway builds.  I know Doug says not to file or sand the 3D stuff, but I've found a little here and there seems to go ok.  Packer body and cab are cleaned up and ready for primer.  I'll get the engine mounts when I get the cab together.

It'll have a DD6-71.

Well, another lesson learned.  I should have done the primer on the packer body first and the skins last.  I realized with the skins on (PVA glue) I couldn't wet sand.  Oh well.

Cab got painted, needs some little touch ups but overall looks pretty good.  Turquoise with a white roof.

P1030539.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been spending a lot of time with this as it's too hot to be outside.  Packer body is painted, took a dozen coats of white to cover the gray primer.  Wheels are done, I found some rear 5 spokes from an Autocar kit and front spokes from the dump kit.  Interior is coming along, I need to get the glass in the cab, then steering column and wheel and the interior can go in.  Once the cab is together I can fit it to the chassis and start fitting the engine etc.

P1030543.jpg

P1030544.jpg

P1030542.jpg