Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette 1984 to 1996 (Fourth Generation)

RDean58

For this generation of Corvettes, the manufacturer was MPC until AMT bought them out, then this gen of Vettes was packaged with AM branding. These are all the same basic kit with updates on the body and wheels when needed.

Monogram started making this generation Corvette in 1985 and I believe did kits for 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, and 92. Monogram also did a 1985 in 1/16th scale. Included in the Monogram series was a Callaway roadster.

Revell also did this Gen of Corvettes, not sure if they were just rebadged Monogram kits or new ones. All(?) of these are 1/24.

The new generation Corvette jumped a year since it was not ready for prime time, so there are no 1983 Corvettes around. Instead, the new generation came out in 1984. MPC did the honors with a couple of 84 versions, one in black while the other was in gold.

spacer.pngspacer.png

85, 86

Basically, the same as the 84 just repackaged as 85 or 86 Corvettes.

image.png.2ae870379750343cd0ee10ed3d40be94.pngspacer.pngimage.png.6fb3da94b3fb4c5d8b454174f4a557e4.png

87, 88

Retread of the original with updated wheels. MPC did both convertibles and coupes. I think the 1987 Corvette convertible has the same box top as the 86, or it could just be the same kit marketed as an 86, either way it works as there was very little difference between the two years physically wise.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Figuring out the years for the next few versions of AMT Corvette kits is confusing. I may have some of them wrong, feel free to correct me.

With the 1989 versions, AMT took over the badging. Pretty much same kit except AMT put in different tires. All the MPC kits had small BF Goodrich tires in them, AMT did new tires that more closely matched what was on the real car. In 1989 the ZR-1 Corvette appeared, so AMT concentrated on doing the ZR-1 instead of the standard coupe until 1996.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Monogram did a high performance version of the ZR-1 in 1/24

image.png.3650553847b5bf0a5892e8d3c90cff10.png

AMT did a Guldstrand Grand Sport kit too in 1990. I don't have one but here is this box art for it.

image.png.1f0b3d98d2bfeeb1c1568d5bf8225802.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I could only find a promo version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Besides AMT, Monogram did 1/24 Corvettes in 93, including the 40th anniversary edition. 

spacer.png

94, 95

AMT put the years on the boxes for these years, so it is easy to tell what year they are supposed to be.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

This was the last year for this generation of Corvette. AMT did the coupe GS while Monogram did the convertible GS.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

We come to the end of this generation of Corvettes. They started out as unloved machines but ended up being pretty good. The next generation was much better received.

Next will be the listing of Generation Five Corvettes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the retrospective! 

I don't know how many of those gold-coloured-plastic 1984 MPC kits I'd built back then -- just such a fun, easy-to-build kit of a then-radical design of a vehicle.

Those stinkin' B.F. Goodrich tyres were a bummer , as everyone knew that the Corvettes were shod with Gatorback VR-50 tyres on 16" wheels (big for that time).
When  the Gatorbacks premiered for the 1989 models (Corvette, and Taurus... maybe others), it was a godsend! Same with glass that wasn't limousine tint black...