Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette 1997 to 2004 (Fifth Generation)

RDean58

AMT did Corvettes for two years, both coupe and convertible in 1997 & 1998. I don't have any of those kits, but I do have the really great Revell Corvettes. On the real Corvettes I could not find any visible difference between the years of these cars so in theory you can build any of these years from any of the kits available. For the 1999 year Revell concentrated on building the ZO6 coupe and that was pretty much what the made for the next few years.

97, 98, 99

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

For this year I only found a snap tight convertible. I don't have it but here is a pic.

image.png.c3fa595061d6a4581e417f0c05207e52.png

Revell updated the ZO6 coupe

spacer.png

2002, 2003

I could only find promo versions of these. Again one can use any of the kits available to make their own on these years since there was no visible difference between the years.

image.png.d8592538ffbf5ef569d0a7efa5b2bfa5.pngimage.png.73c42727219b2bc5d459867093c1b6ff.png

The last kit I found for this generation was another ZO6.

spacer.png

Next up, Corvettes from 2005 to 2013

I seem to recall one of the biggest issues with the Revell C5 Corvettes being that from the '99 Hardtop kit onward they had a manual transmission console and pedal arrangement but they kept the incorrect automatic transmission from the initial coupe and convertible kits. This is a particularly glaring issue on the Z06's since those were manual only cars.

Great kits, love them, have no one built but i found a source so i will buy a Z06 to build. In 1:1 the wheels was the bigest changes for the C5 corvette in between the years. First years came with the so called wagon wheels, then you have the y2k wheels that came for 2000, they where available in alloy or magnesium alloy, and then you have the double spoke z06 wheel.

The FRC, fixed roof coupe, and Z06 share the same roof, but the FRC being a low option car with a lower price than even a standard corvette and way cheeper than the top of the line Z06 if I remember correctly. With the fixed rear window it made the car stiffer than the regular vette and lighter which suited well for any sort of racing, strange that this was not adopted to the race cars but i guess they needed the better aero of the big "glass". Z06 giveaway was the side scoops. 

If i remember correctly the Revell kits also all have the same engine, which is a early 1997-1998 LS1, with perimiter bolt layout on the valve covers that only where used the first two years. LS6 found in the Z06 is vissualy the same engine except for red plastic covers, instead of black, over the coilpacks and valvecovers.

My 1998 Camaro with LS1 and LS6 intake and covers

large_73604-2835928.jpg