Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mud Trap

tiking

I have been experimenting with different types of methods lately. This time is with mud. Yep! Good old natural mud. :) I used mud collected from a neighboring farmer's dirt road. Really fine dirt, I must add. All I did in this diorama, was add PVA glue, and a little water, and Voila! The muddy puddles you see were done using a mixture of Liquitex gloss medium & varnish, and their Transparent Raw Sienna ink for the muddy look. I also tried a little mixture of MIG wet effects and Liquitex Raw Sienna. I think the end result looks pretty convincing. I am still fine tuning the surrounding areas by doing some dry-brushing on the mud, to bring out the different texture. But so far, it appeals to me. The model itself is from AMT 350 Pay hauler. I had this kit for a while and did not know what to do with it. The big bucket was cut down to fit. So there is no chassi just the big bucket and front end of the pay hauler. I did much on the interior with some additions and some minor scratch built parts. This scenes inspiration was taken from many photos of collapse mines or sink holes that dumpers and machines alike, have fallen victims. As always, I like to always do some different and try to go one-step further. ;)

mud_trap_dumper13-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper2-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper3-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper4-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper5-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper6-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper7-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper8-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper9-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper10-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper1-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper1a-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper11-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper12-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper12a-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper14-vi.jpg

mud_trap_dumper15-vi.jpg

4 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Breathtaking dio, Charles - it does look so real: the weathering of the dumper, the different surfaces of the mud - excellent idea !

Thank you kindly my friend. Much appreciated. 

This is fantastic Charles! I have worked in civil construction my whole career, so I know my dirt (and mud). You did an amazing job capturing the look and texture of the soil and mud including the cracking on the surface. The truck, what’s left above the surface is very well done too. 👍👍 

You have some very effective results there Charles . . . The puddles really work, and no CHASSIS . . . !

You have mastered the snow, and now you can say that you have also mastered mud . . . What next?  Volcanoes, Jungle, Desert?

I like how you can salvage a scale model kit that has parts missing, or maybe no longer has a useful purpose and give the model new life.

Myself, and excuse me for mentioning this Charles, but the moderators have decided that my recent topic in WIP: Dioramas ' Washed and Ready to Go ' is actually " Borderline Politics ", so I shall have to delete the topic and forget the project. Luckily, I can continue with my Hooper & Co. dioramas WIP which has been running for 5 years now, and is still ongoing believe it or not !

David

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

This is fantastic Charles! I have worked in civil construction my whole career, so I know my dirt (and mud). You did an amazing job capturing the look and texture of the soil and mud including the cracking on the surface. The truck, what’s left above the surface is very well done too. 👍👍 

Great to hear you verifying my theme for this build. Thank you kindly. 

11 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

You have some very effective results there Charles . . . The puddles really work, and no CHASSIS . . . !

You have mastered the snow, and now you can say that you have also mastered mud . . . What next?  Volcanoes, Jungle, Desert?

I like how you can salvage a scale model kit that has parts missing, or maybe no longer has a useful purpose and give the model new life.

Myself, and excuse me for mentioning this Charles, but the moderators have decided that my recent topic in WIP: Dioramas ' Washed and Ready to Go ' is actually " Borderline Politics ", so I shall have to delete the topic and forget the project. Luckily, I can continue with my Hooper & Co. dioramas WIP which has been running for 5 years now, and is still ongoing believe it or not !

David

Appreciate your uplifting and positive comment about my different projects. Sorry to hear about your project. Unfortunately certain things are taken out of context more often than so. 

4 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Wow that’s an impressive dio. Extremely realistic. In my opinion, the most effective dioramas tell a story - often the simpler story, the better. This one does a great job.

Thank you. Appreciate that you think so. :)

On 7/2/2022 at 2:06 PM, TNT said:

Crazy cool. Your idea is something i would have never even thought of. 

Thank you so very much. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, slusher said:

That looks really real!  Another fantastic diorama!

Much appreciated. Thanks. 

On 7/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, bisc63 said:

Very nicely executed diorama. The surface variations are absolutely convincing. Well done.

Thank you. I am glad you think so.